The Bands of Mourning by Brandon Sanderson

The Bands of Mourning

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Mistborn (6), Mistborn Adventures (3), Cosmere (13)

5222019,378 (4.17)23

English (19)  German (1)  All (20)

This was such a good instalment into this series! I loved where the plot is going and how things developed, yet it still felt like its own story. Brandon Sanderson just has such a way with words. I can't count how many times I laughed out loud, and giggled to myself while reading this.

Steris was amazing. The character development for her in this book was soooo good. I loved how we got to know her more and she became more than just a cold, boring lady. I also enjoyed Marasi's character development and seeing her come into herself more. I can't wait to see where her story line goes. I liked the introduction of more characters in this novel as well - Allik, MeLaan (gets more fleshed out and really becomes a part of the group). The Malwish plot line is definitely going to be interesting. Can't wait to see where that goes.

I really enjoyed getting to see more of this new world, getting outside of Elendel. It was super interesting and I enjoyed the descriptions of New Seran. I'm excited for the expanded world with the Malwish as well!

I cannot wait for The Lost Metal! ( )
  jdifelice | Jan 20, 2018 |
Aaaah. I think this is my favorite of the three Wax & Wayne era books, though as the middle of its own trilogy it sort of reminds me of The Empire Strikes Back. Heroes have accomplished some things, but there's greater forces out there...

Also, hi, Sazed!

I need to read the short story that follows this, which will have obvious spoilers... ( )
  Daumari | Dec 30, 2017 |
This book was not as compelling as the first three Mistborn books. Wax, Wayne, Marasi and Steris are all a bit to caricatured, so they can be funny and have great adventures, but they seem flat and lifeless. The grand quest they find themselves on in this book seemed almost like an aside to their main goals, so while it is dramatic, it comes across as a muted adventure, with the characters' personal quests more or less finished long before they go after the Bands. But, with several books of character development published, perhaps these characters will feel more well-crafted and life-like in the next book. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
I still tend to like the characters and the plot, and writing remains well done, but the arch tone, particularly the arch self-awareness of Steris and Marais keep me from being absorbed in reading the book ( )
  quondame | Dec 28, 2017 |
Once you get to read alot of books, across alot of years, you start to see patterns, and learn to recognize small cheats. This book has the later. Specifically, it's a so-so story, but the author ends it with a huge reveal, so you are left with a "Wow" impression instead of the "meh" impression that the book really was.

3 stars because Shadows of Self was really more fun to read and had more interesting characters moment. This book isn't bad, but it's not like most reviewer are saying it is. The rave review are probably for the last 25 pages or so. ( )
  kinwolf | Nov 22, 2017 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McSweeney, BenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stewart, IsaacIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ben Olsen

Who keeps putting up with a bunch of crazy writers as friends,

And finds time to make our books better all the while.
"Telsin!" Waxillium hissed as he crept out of the training hut.

When a researcher returns to Elendel with images of a mythical Lord Ruler artifact, believed to grant wearers his power, Waxillium Ladrian conducts an investigation in the southern city of New Seran, where he makes unsettling discoveries about the true goals of The Set.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,763,944 books! | Top bar: Always visible