The Bands of Mourning

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Mistborn (6), Cosmere (13)

When a researcher returns to Elendel with images of a mythical Lord Ruler artifact, believed to grant wearers his power, Waxillium Ladrian conducts an investigation in the southern city of New Seran, where he makes unsettling discoveries about the true goals of The Set.

English (34)  German (1)  All languages (35)
While in a different time, and with a different goal from the original Mistborn trilogy, this one expanded on the world in unexpected ways. I'm always impressed how Sanderson can bring back an idea from books ago that was ambiguous and expand on it. This book gave me a Final Fantasy vibe --a combination from the time period, magic system, characters and a few familiar plot devices that somehow seem right at home in the world of Mistborn. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
Wow!

I loved this book - Brandon Sanderson continues to surprise and delight me. This book was a wonderful read from beginning to end. I loved the character development, and the relationship development, which went in directions not necessarily expected. I also loved the plot, which hinted at all kinds of extra stuff going on behind the scenes.

Things I particularly loved: Steris: her character development took huge strides forward.
Marasi: the very picture of a self determining woman, and
Wayne: lovely insights into what makes him tick. ( )
  ShreyasDeshpande | Oct 24, 2020 |
“The difference between good and evil men is not found in the acts they are willing to commit—but merely in what name they are willing to commit them in.”

*All of my reviews are as spoiler-free as possible unless states otherwise*

MISTBORN IS TRULY FANTASY ROYALTY !!

Sanderson has created a beautiful complex world that just gets even more interesting after every story. I never feel like I’m done reading when I finish one of his books. In Kelsier’s words: There is always another secret

I absolutely love the dynamic of Wax, Wayne, Steris, Marasi, and MeLaan !!!!

I SHIP WAX AND STERIS, no one can fight me. My favorite aspect of the romance genre in Sanderson’s books is that it’s practically an under layer. The plot and the character relationships are already so well written to begin with. The romantic relationships just give it that extra touch to make you feel fuzzy inside without it being forced.

Similar to something I said before: this is not Elend and Vin and The Final Empire... but I have no regrets reading this series. It’s just different. But it still had the Mistborn element to it. Reading this trilogy felt like I was in on a secret that the characters themselves didn’t know about.

I don’t really have a favorite Mistborn book because they all have their different quirks and reason why I love each one so much.

In terms of plot, I still prefer the original trilogy since it was much harder for me to solve the mystery but, nevertheless, it was not a hindrance to my enjoyment.

I was in love with everything and all the parallelisms to the original trilogy made me fangirl and internally scream.

Sanderson did not end the Mistborn world with this book... in fact he just opened it up even more. Mistborn will always have a special place in my heart.

BLOG | SUPPORT ME ON KO-FI | BOOKSIRENS
  themoonwholistens | Aug 31, 2020 |
The world of Scadrial just got a lot bigger.

The genius of Brandon Sanderson is that after six books set on the same world using the same magic system he still manages to build upon this world in a very organic manner that not only expands the world going forward but also redefines the original trilogy.

The character development here is also top notch; he took the very unlikeable Steris and made her into a central character and a believable love interest.

The plot established in Shadows of Self with this new ancient god Trell continues here and the study on the topic of Investiture on Scadrial simply takes it out of the park. Not only that but this is the first time that the Wax and Wayne series really begin to catch up to the power levels we got on the original trilogy.

I also loved how the little side stories here and some of the plot elements im this book seem to fit into the whole Cosmere with what seem like nods to Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell, Sixth of the Dusk, and maybe even White Sands.

Very fun read. ( )
  Miguel.Arvelo | Jun 9, 2020 |
I began the first trilogy knowing nothing and then being blown away. I started the second trilogy going, "Huh?", but eventually warming to the interesting characters and setting. After all, the magic system still rocked and turning the series into a western wasn't *that* far out of the realms of possibility.

I wasn't blown away by book 4. I thought book 5 was a good deal better, enjoying the dialog between Wax and Wayne more and more and thoroughly enjoying the thread of lost love and evil gods (and ineffectual good ones, too. Yeah, I'm looking at you, Harmony.) The new world was one I could respect and like, but I never got to the point where I really loved it.

And then this book came around, and after what I thought was a tiny rough beginning, I was delighted to see just how much I loved Wayne's sequence. There was a lot of real beauty in the writing, like a dance of pure chicanery, and I delighted in it. And then, of course, we got Wax's marriage to the wonderful Steris, who is every bit of a match for him, smart and oh-so-damn-prepared. Can I tell you how endearing this woman is with her damn lists? Well, yeah, I guess I can. :)

What really makes this novel stands out, though, is not the adventure into steampunkland or the straight adventure into finding the Lord Ruler's own metalmind that allows the wearer full access to all 16 metals and ferrochemical attributes, but the fact that it was done well. We got the huge magical sequence that is reminiscent more of the first trilogy than the more modest (and down-to-earth) effects of books 4 and 5. We've got some big things coming, and I that leads me to make one last comment.

I've officially moved from a respect and liking for the second series to a deep and profound love. I've finally warmed to it. The characters really stand out in my mind and they're still talking and quipping, and I'm getting a whole bunch of warm and fuzzies. :)

I can honestly say it's only getting better, and all my so-so feelings about the last two have evaporated like mist. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McSweeney, BenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stewart, IsaacIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ben Olsen

Who keeps putting up with a bunch of crazy writers as friends,

And finds time to make our books better all the while.
"Telsin!" Waxillium hissed as he crept out of the training hut.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,236,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible