A Quiet Life in the Country by T E Kinsey

A Quiet Life in the Country (2016)

by T E Kinsey

Series: Lady Hardcastle Mysteries (1)

Lady Emily Hardcastle is an eccentric widow with a secret past. Florence Armstrong, her maid and confidante, is an expert in martial arts. The year is 1908 and they've just moved from London to the country, hoping for a quiet life. But it is not long before Lady Hardcastle is forced out of her self-imposed retirement. There's a dead body in the woods, and the police are on the wrong scent. Lady Hardcastle makes some enquiries of her own, and it seems she knows a surprising amount about crime investigation&… (more)
Recently added byrena75, private library, mmoxley, sallypursell

A bit far-fetched, but not ridiculous. 1908, a widowed Lady (title received from her husband who was a knight, not her parents) and her lady's maid move to the country to find respite from their wild adventures heretofore. Since this is the first book in the series, we are given glimpses of what the adventures were, but never quite told. The repartee is amusing, not up to Lord Peter Wimsey piffle, but not annoying, either. Mystery was okay. Not much audience participation. I would read another by this author because he didn't annoy me, but I'm not running out to buy one. ( )
  MrsLee | Sep 1, 2019 |
Lady Emily Hardcastle and her lady's maid/best friend Florence Armstrong have moved to what they hope is a quiet village in rural England. They have had many adventures from China to India to London and would prefer some quiet time.

But when Lady Hardcastle and Flo come upon a body in the woods, their quiet retirement is put to the test. Feeling that the police were too quick to choose and arrest a suspect, Lady Harcastle and Flo begin their own investigation. Luckily, Lady Hardcastle knows a couple of the gentry who were old India hands and friends with her parents. While she investigates above stairs, Flo is able to conduct her part of the investigation "below stairs" and with the shopkeepers in town.

When one victim becomes two and a valuable emerald is stolen, their case gets much more complex. They need to investigate the local cricket club, the ragtime band hired to play at an engagement party, and people both above and below stairs before they can solve the crime.

I liked that the story was narrated by Flo who is a practical, down-to-earth sort and who provides balance for her more flighty but intelligent employer. The 1908 setting allowed for a variety of technology from the occasional telephone to fingerprint experts. It also showed a changing social landscape where the gentry were losing their grip on their privilege and the newly wealthy were gaining a foothold. I enjoyed the relationship between Lady Hardcastle and Flo. I really want more information about the adventures they had before this first book in a series. ( )
  kmartin802 | Aug 26, 2019 |
A good candy bar mystery novel ( )
  gayjeg | Apr 25, 2019 |
Light, easy, very period piece. A nice audio to drift off to sleep with. Characters have lots of room for development, and I'll probably try one more to see where they go. Not much mystery, characters a bit confusing, and very little substance. ( )
  tututhefirst | Apr 24, 2019 |
Cozy mystery a bit much

Lady Hardcastle, a wealthy widow with a flair for detection, along with her trusty maid Flo Armstrong, finds herself embroiled in a staged suicide, a missing jewel, and a dead musician in her first weeks in the quiet countryside.

While charming enough, the constant references to their adventures threw me off - was this the first novel? I checked repeatedly - and the lack of some semblance of historical accuracy chafed. The story was alright enough, though convoluted, but all in all, a cute romp through the English countryside. ( )
  kittyjay | Feb 28, 2019 |

T E Kinseyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Horton, LisaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Good heavens!" said Lady Hardcastle as we stepped down from the dog cart.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,817,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible