No title

Series: D.I. Kim Stone (1)

Even the darkest secrets can't stay buried forever. Five figures gather round a shallow grave. They had all taken turns to dig. An adult-sized hole would have taken longer. An innocent life had been taken but the pact had been made. Their secrets would be buried, bound in blood. Years later, a headmistress is found brutally strangled, the first in a spate of gruesome murders which shock the Black Country. But when human remains are discovered at a former children's home, disturbing secrets are also unearthed. D.I. Kim Stone fast realises she's on the hunt for a twisted individual whose killing spree spans decades. As the body count rises, Kim needs to stop the murderer before they strike again. But to catch the killer, can Kim confront the demons of her own past before it's too late?… (more)
Member:
Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Silent Scream by Angela Marsons

English (28)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (31)
3.5 ★
  snorrelo | Feb 22, 2021 |
I added this book to my to-read list after seeing several positive reviews from friends on Goodreads. Yes, I'm one of those people who stalks hangs out on Goodreads checking out what other people are reading and recommending. If you want to be one of those people, add me! I'm (mostly) friendly. You can find me here.

Anyways, I added this books thanks to my Goodreads friends, and that's why I recognized it when I saw it in the used book bin at my local bookstore. Silent Scream is yet another debut book by a British author, (what can I say, I think I'm hooked), and is the first installment of an intended series featuring D.I. Kim Stone.

I had a hard time in the beginning. I think I was five pages in when I logged in to Goodreads to double check that this was a recommended book with good rating and reviews. (Yes, if we're friends, I'll trust you that much!) And it was. So I kept reading. I'm very glad I did.

D.I. Kim Stone is a very likable character (seems like it's been forever since I encountered one of those). The plot was well paced and planned, with a nice bonus at the end. And whatever it was that bothered me in the beginning dropped away at some point, leaving me quite happily immersed in the story.

Will you like it? As far as British mystery thrillers go, this is a nice mid-range option; not too cozy, but not as brutal as Mo Hayder. Disturbing, but not in too much detail. It may have the sniffles, but it's not completely sick. Think early Patricia Cornwell - a nice, meaty murder mystery. Five stars. ( )
  ShannonHollinger | Feb 15, 2021 |
I liked many elements of Silent Scream, one of them was the setting. Several bodies turn up buried outside of a school for unwanted and/or delinquent girls. These types of places always have an air of creepiness and most of the people who work in places like this are suspect so it was definitely an effective setting for a mystery. So of course the Detective - Kim Stone is investigating all of the usual suspects as well as learning these girls names and stories. Detective Kim is somewhat cliche - a "break the rules" tough and sarcastic detective with a heart of gold and difficult past that allows her to identify with the victims, however - she was still a very likable character despite the familiar trope. One unexpected surprise was the disabled daughter of a witness/suspect - although silent, her personality shone through the story.

I guessed who the villain was from the beginning which NEVER happens. Really, I suck at that game so this was pretty obvious. There was one twist at the end that I definitely didn't see coming though.

I grabbed this book because it was the first in a series featuring this detective and it is really the 2nd book that drew my interest, but as often happens, I am underwhelmed by the first book and am not sure I'll continue to the second. One thing that makes me hesitant to read another by this author was that there is something about the writing style that I can't exactly pinpoint that made it difficult for me to connect to the story. I feel like I may have missed some elements in the beginning because my mind kept wandering to other things and I had to consciously force myself to listen to the audio instead of naturally being drawn into the story and kind of losing myself in it. Ultimately, the story was pretty good and there was more that I liked about it than not so I may continue to the second. ( )
  NCDonnas | Jan 2, 2021 |

NCDonnas | Jan 2, 2021 |
Review of
SILENT SCREAM (DI Kim Stone 1)
by Angela Marsons
⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

I love a good police drama and Angela Marsons certainly doesn't disappoint. Kim Stone is someone you probably wouldn't like at first, but she's definitely the one person you will want in your corner when things get tough.

This is the second time I've read Silent Scream and found it just as gripping this time round. The tension was palpable and characters well introduced. ( )
  Johns_Bookshelf | Nov 14, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

Zelfs de duisterste geheimen blijven niet eeuwig verborgen.
Proloog

Vijf gestalten vormden een vijfhoek rondom de heuvel vers uitgegraven grond.
Teresa Wyatt had het onverklaarbare gevoel dat dit haar laatste nacht zou zijn.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,761,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible