dismiss

Lightspeed Magazine, Issue 57 • February 2015

by John Joseph Adams (Editor)

Other authors: Elizabeth Bear (Contributor), Brooke Bolander (Contributor), Adam-Troy Castro (Contributor), Myke Cole (Contributor), Maria Dahvana Headley (Contributor)3 more, Ann Leckie (Contributor), Mary Rickert (Contributor), Caroline M. Yoachim (Contributor)

Series: Lightspeed Magazine (57)

204827,207 (3.42)None

I've only just discovered Brooke thanks to people at Goodreads and I can tell you that I'm super thrilled and not merely because it's filled with tons of f-bombs. :) Her characters are not only gritty but realistically hard-bitten and delightfully crass and full of shit. It's a delight!

Seriously, though, this story is much more than meets the eye, from uploaded consciousnesses into meat shells, a cool cyberspace adventure, mobsters, hitmen, and even a travel to the underworld to bring her love back from the dead, pure Hades style, going all Orpheus and Euridice on us.

Did I say I loved this? Then again, I'm a total absolute sucker for retellings of Greek legends in a hardcore, take-no-prisoners, cyberpunk mindspace gore-strewn nightmare of computation. :)

Bravo! :)

The end may be a bitch, but then, so was the original. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
I enjoyed "And you shall know her by the trail of dead" and the novella "In the house of Aryaman, a lonely signal burns" very much. "And the winners will be swept out to sea" was pretty good too. I didn't really care for the rest. ( )
  haloedrain | Aug 3, 2019 |
Rhye is an AI, and like all AIs, a second-class citizen. It's not at all clear to me how these things work in this world, but she reports wandering the streets until age twelve, when she was snatched up to become a soldier. She was a soldier until she turned 25, and she was very, very good at killing. After her service, she earns a minimal living fighting in deathmatches.

Have I mentioned lately that I Don't Do Grimdark? No, probably haven't had occasion to because, in fact, I don't do grimdark. But this is Hugo season so, like Our Hero, I soldier on.

Eventually, Rhye meets Rack, also an AI. He picks her up and tends her wounds when she's inconveniently badly injured in a deathmatch. Rack is a programming genius, and a mercenary for organized crime. Rhye becomes his partner when he needs a hired gun, and in other ways.

On their latest job, they need to rescue a mob boss's little thug of a constructed AI heir from where he is trapped in cyberspace--cyberspace with security built by Rack. He goes in, and when everything goes horribly wrong, Rhye goes in after him.

It doesn't get any more cheerful from there, a highlight being what exactly Rack used for the basis of the security system programming. Let us say, I did not find the title to be false advertising.

I did not like this at all, but I don't like this kind of story at all, and I wasn't wincing at poor writing, so take that dislike with appropriate seasoning of salt.

Personally, I can't recommend it.

I received this story as part of the 2016 Hugo Awards nominees packet. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
3.5 stars. Decent issue with a couple of entertaining pieces. ( )
  capiam1234 | Mar 2, 2015 |

Headley, Maria DahvanaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leckie, AnnContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rickert, MaryContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yoachim, Caroline M.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,925,917 books! | Top bar: Always visible