Out on the Wire: The Storytelling Secrets of…

Out on the Wire: The Storytelling Secrets of the New Masters of Radio (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Jessica Abel (Author)

"Go behind the scenes of seven of today's most popular narrative radio shows and podcasts, including This American Life and RadioLab, in graphic narrative. Every week, millions of devoted fans tune in to or download This American Life, The Moth, Radiolab, Planet Money, Snap Judgment, Serial, Invisibilia and other narrative radio shows. Using personal stories to breathe life into complex ideas and issues, these beloved programs help us to understand ourselves and our world a little bit better. Each has a distinct style, but every one delivers stories that are brilliantly told and produced. Out on the Wire offers an unexpected window into this new kind of storytelling--one that literally illustrates the making of a purely auditory medium. With the help of This American Life's Ira Glass, Jessica Abel, a cartoonist and devotee of narrative radio, uncovers just how radio producers construct narrative, spilling some juicy insider details. Jad Abumrad of RadioLab talks about chasing moments of awe with scientists, while Planet Money's Robert Smith lets us in on his slightly goofy strategy for putting interviewees at ease. And Abel reveals how mad--really mad--Ira Glass becomes when he receives edits from his colleagues. Informative and engaging, Out on the Wire demonstrates that narrative radio and podcasts are creating some of the most exciting and innovative storytelling available today"-- "This graphic novel takes readers behind the scenes of their favorite radio shows and podcasts to show the storytelling techniques and ideas that produce these beloved programs"--… (more)
Member:brokensandals
Title:Out on the Wire: The Storytelling Secrets of the New Masters of Radio
Authors:Jessica Abel (Author)
Info:Broadway Books (2015), 240 pages
Collections:To read
Tags:to-read

Work Information

Out on the Wire: The Storytelling Secrets of the New Masters of Radio by Jessica Abel (2015)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've been listening to narrative radio and podcasts for 20+ years. This was such a great way to learn the back-end of everything. Even if I don't plan to produce anything myself, it gives me insight into the story-telling strategies for every-day life!
  cam295 | Nov 15, 2022 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Just what you need if you're going to be an amateur or professional on the air waves!
  WriteNowCoach | Sep 21, 2022 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
*Out on the Wire* by Jessica Abel is a book-length comic about storytelling in the medium of radio/podcasting. Or as the subtitle explains, "The Storytelling Secrets of the New Masters of Radio." I zipped through the first half, fascinated by the interviews with all of these great storytellers describing their theories of storytelling.

But, it kind of bogged down in the second half. Abel states at the end of the book, "...couldn't leave anything out. In fact I kept adding more in." It felt like it. Ironically, where it bogged down the most was in the section about editing.

The vast range of characters became overwhelming, too. Since she chose to structure the book thematically, we'd get an interview with the team from one show, and then another show, and then another. In the next section we'd see most of them again, but I would lose track of who was who, and Abel rarely made re-introductions. It made for confusion and a lot of flipping back to previous sections.

But, overall it is a good book. Anyone interested in podcasting needs to read this book, and anyone interested in storytelling could benefit from it also. ( )
  evenlake | Mar 23, 2021 |
A fantastic look into the process behind radio, filled with excellent tips for anyone who might be interested in delving into the field themselves. I'm not one of those people but I still found the storytelling and editing process fascinating ( )
  hatingongodot | May 3, 2020 |
I've never listened to any of the radio programs or podcasts featured in this book. I read it solely because I've liked some of Jessica Abel's previous work. While this is solid work on her part, it failed to make me care about the subject matter. Based on this book, I'm not sure why anyone listens to these dull people. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |

Jessica Abelprimary authorall editionscalculated
Glass, IraForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
March, 2013. Paris, the Radio France building.

Making radio

stories so good you may have

a "driveway moment."

(legallypuzzled)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jessica Abel's book Out on the Wire was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,140,945 books! | Top bar: Always visible