How to Be a Good Mommy When You're Sick: A Guide to Motherhood with Chronic Illness

by Emily Graves

1561,366,250 (3.42)None
Soon after receiving her Bachelorís Degree, Emily Graves was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. Shortly thereafter, pregnant with her first and only child, Emilyís kidneys shut down. Today she is still fighting chronic illness, but she has found some answers as to how to manage to be a good mother and spouse while continuing to pursue her professional ambitions. Emily chronicles the challenges and successes and shares her experience and tips with other mothers suffering from chronic illness.… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was just an ok read for me. I couldn't find enjoyment in the read and I didn't feel I gained anything from it. This could be simply that it's aimed at those who need every bit of direction and help but I can't say for sure. ( )
  Jenn.S | Jul 9, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book has many good suggestions for new mothers who struggle with chronic illnesses (the author suffers from rheumatoid arthritis). She covers everything from exercise to good nutrition and reminds readers of her foundation at the end of every chapter: do not apologize: do what you can and be happy with it: take advantage of good days but don't run yourself into the ground; be honest; and accept support. There were a couple of typos which an editor should have caught (Bjorn shoes, not Born shoes), and the cover photo appears quite dated. The mother's hairstyle actually made me double check the publication date as I wondered if it was a book from the 70s! ( )
  forrestandsabrina | May 4, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I requested this book because my youngest sister Julie has tow daughters with Rheumatoid Arthritis both very young women. I will pass this along to her as it gave great ideas about it being OK to share your condition with others, and do not be afraid to ask for help when needed. I think both of these are very hard for women who have led productive lives before their illness and now must adjust to being dependent, in a society that stresses women be independent and strong. The lists of how to take short cuts in cleaning, cooking and shopping were invaluable for any busy mom. I feel the information was good coming from a woman who is living with a chronic illness. The spandex part to reduce swelling made me laugh, as we all want to look our best. ( )
  DianneBottinelli | Apr 28, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
If this book had only been around when my children were younger, I think it would have helped me more. The tips and ideas are sold but since the author hasn't yet experienced the middle and high school years and the challenges that arise, I would encourage her to write again. I hope someone can benefit from this much needed book. ( )
  angela.vaughn | Apr 23, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Emily Graves wrote this book as a result of need; this mother of a young toddler suffered from chronic RA with complications that were exacerbated during her pregnancy. She looked in vain for a book written for new mothers impacted by chronic illness, so as an educator with a PhD she decided to write one herself. Graves' book deals with the practical everyday impact of mothering while dealing with chronic illness that greatly limits the ability to be at one's best each and every day. In her search for coping mechanisms, she came up with what she calls "The Foundational Five": 1 - Do not apologize! 2 - Do what you can and be happy with it! 3 - Make good time - take advantage of good days, but don't run yourself into the ground! 4 - Be honest! and 5 - Accept support and reject pity! She adapts each of these five principles to the chapter on "Everyday Basics", dealing with issues of sleep, food, drugs, safety, choosing care, and meditations of varying sorts, and the chapter on "Looking Good (and being on time)" dealing with topics like personal challenges, scheduling, clothing your baby, beauty, and play/exercise. While what she has to say is definitely valuable, the time needed to read the book when dealing with challenges of health and new motherhood make it less likely that it can be a useful tool. However, the final chapter, called "Remembering" succinctly summarizes the main points in the rest of the book and could serve as a sort of cheat sheet for those who can't find the time to read the entire book. A useful tool for the target audience. ( )
  SherylHendrix | Apr 16, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Emily Graves's book How to Be a Good Mommy When You're Sick was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,189,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible