Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Reasons to Stay Alive by Matt Haig

Reasons to Stay Alive (2015)

by Matt Haig

Whitney found this (listening to NYT Book Review podcast)
14 At its worst you find yourself wishing, desperately for any other affliction, any physical pain, because the mind is infinite... You can be depressive and be happy, just as you can be a sober alcoholic.
33 Personally, for me, I am happy that I largey mended myself without the aid of medication...
34 Tis helped me know what exactly made me feel better (exercise, sunshinme, sleep, intnese conversation, etc.)
49 Though often this feeling itself is a lie.
52 P.S. I've just seen tomorrow. It's even worse.
53 Depression didn't use to be depression. It used to be melancholia, and far fewer people suffered from that than they do from current depression. But did they really?
54 One in five people gets depression at some point in their life. (Though obviously more than that will suffer from mental illness.)
69 ...once the storm is over you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure, in fact, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's all about. (Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore)
129-130
153-4
165/7
  keithhamblen | May 19, 2019 |
Brilliant. Hopeful. Perceptive. Terse. Kind. A book that hugs. Everyone suffers differently. That said, this is worth reading regardless of whether you suffer as Matt does, or not. There is nothing simple about mental illness. But please persevere, and this book helps in that effort. Be well. ( )
  TomMcGreevy | Feb 17, 2019 |
This is a short book that packs a big punch. In my opinion, its brevity is what makes it so impactful. As I am currently struggling with depression and severe anxiety attacks, if this book had been any longer or its chapters not been so short, I doubt I would have picked it up to read. I'm so glad I did. Part of me is relieved I'm not the only one who has these feelings, thoughts and emotions. I cannot recommend this book enough to people who live with depression and/or anxiety and especially to their loved ones. If someone you love is struggling, read this book. It will help you understand what they are experiencing. ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
In his twenties, Matt was living an enviable life on Ibiza. Then apparently suddenly was immobilised by severe depression & anxiety.

This is an account of what it felt like, how he thought he had arrived at that point, and what he found worked for him (reading being very high up the list). An honest, open and positive memoir / self-help / you are not alone, book. ( )
  LARA335 | Jan 13, 2019 |
Matt Haig’s accessible and life-affirming memoir of his struggle with depression, and how his triumph over the illness taught him to live.

From the author of How To Stop Time, coming February 2018 from Viking.

"Destined to become a modern classic." —Entertainment Weekly

Like nearly one in five people, Matt Haig suffers from depression. Reasons to Stay Alive is Matt’s inspiring account of how, minute by minute and day by day, he overcame the disease with the help of reading, writing, and the love of his parents and his girlfriend (and now-wife), Andrea. And eventually, he learned to appreciate life all the more for it.

Everyone’s lives are touched by mental illness: if we do not suffer from it ourselves, then we have a friend or loved one who does. Matt’s frankness about his experiences is both inspiring to those who feel daunted by depression and illuminating to those who are mystified by it. Above all, his humor and encouragement never let us lose sight of hope. Speaking as his present self to his former self in the depths of depression, Matt is adamant that the oldest cliché is the truest—there is light at the end of the tunnel. He teaches us to celebrate the small joys and moments of peace that life brings, and reminds us that there are always reasons to stay alive.
  Langri_Tangpa_Centre | Dec 25, 2018 |
For Andrea
This book is impossible

Aged 24, Matt Haig's world caved in. He could see no way to go on living. This is the true story of how he came through crisis, triumphed over an illness that almost destroyed him and learned to live again. A moving, funny and joyous exploration of how to live and love better and feel more alive, Reasons to Stay Alive is more than a memoir. It is a book about making the most of your time on earth.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,505,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible