Reasons to Stay Alive by Matt Haig

Reasons to Stay Alive (original 2015; edition 2016)

by Matt Haig (Author)

Like nearly one in five people, Matt Haig suffers from depression. Reasons to Stay Alive is his inspiring account of how, minute by minute and day by day, he overcame the disease with the help of reading, writing, and the love of his parents and his girlfriend (now wife), Andrea. And eventually, he learned to appreciate life all the more for it. Everyone's lives are touched by mental illness; if we do not suffer from it ourselves, then we have a friend or loved one who does. Haig's frankness about his experiences is both inspiring to those who feel daunted by depression and illuminating to those who are mystified by it. Above all, his humor and encouragement never let us lose sight of hope. Speaking as his present self to his former self in the depths of depression, Haig is adamant that the oldest clich ?is the truest-there is light at the end of the tunnel. He teaches us to celebrate the small joys and moments of peace that life brings, and reminds us that there are always reasons to stay alive.… (more)
Member:restimson
Title:Reasons to Stay Alive
Authors:Matt Haig (Author)
Info:Penguin Life (2016), Edition: Reprint, 272 pages
Collections:Non-Fiction, Your library
Tags:own-audiobook

Work Information

Reasons to Stay Alive by Matt Haig (2015)

Raw, beautiful and profound. Don't expect any (direct) answers here on "staying alive". Matt Haig documents his battle with depression and anxiety. I like reading his work. He is brutally honest and well-versed in literature and philosophy.

wellington299 | Feb 19, 2022 |
A light-hearted book about depression. That’s not something I ever expected to see, but that’s what Matt Haig produced. It’s chatty, with brief sentences and short chapters. Because sometimes, a heavy book with page after page of dense type can seem overwhelming.
From start (“depression lies”) to finish (a little over two pages listing “things I have enjoyed since the time I thought I would never enjoy anything again”), the book is filled with sound advice, offered in a low-key way.
I can’t know for sure, but I suspect this would have been a help at one of those times when. I suppose it might have been, since one aspect of depression is the feeling of isolation. Haig’s openness about his own struggle would be a reminder that at least one other person feels that way. Along with Abraham Lincoln, Winston Churchill, and a host of others he cites (including a surprising number of beautiful actresses).
Neuroscience is a work in progress, so this book isn’t the last word on coping with depression. But it’s good to be aware of it. ( )
  HenrySt123 | Jan 30, 2022 |
I’ll need to reread this some time when I need reasons to stay alive. I don’t think I can give it a fair rating in my current frame of mind. ( )
  Charon07 | Jan 6, 2022 |
I like stories of struggle and survival that show a person's true character. Matt Haig shares exactly what it's like to be depressed. So be ready for the truth. I now better understand depression. It's a difficult topic that I found captivating. I enjoyed The Midnight Library so much that I looked up Haig's other books. Thanks for sharing, Matt. ( )
  JanEPat | Dec 7, 2021 |
meh ( )
  zbdd | Oct 31, 2021 |
For Andrea
This book is impossible
Depression makes you think things that are wrong. But depression itself isn't a lie. It is the most real thing I've ever experienced. Of course, it's invisible. (p. 1-2)
I stood there for a while. Summoning the courage to die, and then summoning the courage to live. To be. Not to be. (p.20)
The evolutionary psychologists may be right. We humans might have evolved too far. The price for being intelligent enough to be the first species to be fully aware of the cosmos might just be a capacity to feel a whole universe's worth of darkness. (p. 42)
From the outside a person sees your physical form, sees that you are a unified mass of atoms and cells. Yet inside you feel like a Big Bang has happened. You feel lost, disintegrated, spread across the universe amid infinite dark space. (p. 60)
Maybe love is just about finding the person you can be your weird self with. (p. 122)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,582,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible