You Can Trust Me by Sophie McKenzie

You Can Trust Me (2014)

by Sophie McKenzie

The suspicious circumstances of her best friend's apparent suicide drive a young woman to the possibility that it was murder, and might involve the same man who killed her sister eighteen years ago.

This book kept me guessing the whole time!! Every time i thought that I knew who the culprit was, I guessed wrong. I listened to the audio book version of this, and at times, I almost forgot that I was driving. The characters were well rounded, believable and most of all, kept me guessing. I can't wait to read more by Sophie. Great job Sophie McKenzie!!
  angela.k.winters | Mar 25, 2018 |
Great book! ( )
  Robin_Miller_Cresci | Jul 25, 2017 |
Unfortunately I didn't find this book as thrilling as I expected it to be. While the basic plot is a good one, the way that the novel develops is actually quite slow and at times I though quite ridiculous.

The book essentially follows Livy in her search to find out who is responsible for the death of her friend Julia. While the official verdict is suicide, she is convinced that it was murder and that it is linked to the murder of her sister years earlier. Her search is complicated by the fact that her own marriage is under strain, not helped by the possible implication of her own husband as the guilty party. Essentially her problem is as the title suggests is knowing who she can trust.

It also appears that despite Julia being her best friend, she is also not necessarily the person Livy thought she was, as her search throws up conflicting versions Julia, who is only ever seen through the eyes of other people.

As well as following Livy on her search, the murderer also offers us chapters detailing his previous exploits. Read past his first chapter if you can't cope with cruelty to animals, and further on he has no compunction about also killing the young daughter of another victim, something I personally found distasteful.

With regard to Livy I found her character quite annoying, at times quite weak and needy and others headstrong to the point of stupidity. For someone looking for a violent killer, I found her ability not to question some of her actions and happily go into the unknown pretty stupid and unbelievable.

That said, I was interested enough to want to find out who the guilty party was and didn't actually guess until quite late on. It's not a bad book, but I think there are better psychological thrillers with more engaging characters.

I received a free copy of this title via Netgalley in return for an honest review.

Jilldoyle | Mar 27, 2016 |
This is a well-written thriller that stars off strong with the death of Livy’s best friend Julia in an apparent suicide. Despite the evidence pointing in that direction, Livy is unable to accept this verdict and sets out to prove it was murder. Making this situation even more dramatic is the fact that Livy’s younger sister, former best friends with Julia, was herself murdered eighteen years ago. Along the way, Livy discovers a number of reasons why those around her should not be trusted, including her husband, his best friend, their employer and Julia’s brother. While not totally trusting Julia’s latest boyfriend, Livy works with him to uncover the truth about Julia’s death. This leads to a dramatic end where someone I had not really considered to be the murderer did in fact commit the deed. The lesson here is that sometimes those you trust are not really who they say they are. ( )
  Susan.Macura | Nov 26, 2015 |
This is a book whose plot hits the ground running and doesn't let up until the very end: even when you think everything is done with, the author keeps a particularly harrowing twist up her sleeve. The parallel plotlines of marital infidelity and the death of a close friend are powerful emotional pulls on the reader, and it would be tough to put it down before seeing the whole thing resolved.

That said, I found there were not enough characters to make the 'whodunnit' angle enough of a challenge. There were only one or two possible candidates, and I hit on the right one at an early stage. Despite the author's skilfully placed red herrings, I remained firm in my belief that there was no point in that particular character's existence in the story other than as the ultimate baddie, and waited to be proved right, as I ultimately was (modest cough). In addition, some of the characters' actions felt a bit 'off' - getting all romantic at moments when stress would surely have put paid to all that. And the character Julia - central to the plot but not someone we meet in person - didn't come across as all that nice. More two fingers down the throat if I'm honest. So it's a mixed reaction from me which accounts for the moderate star rating. ( )
  jayne_charles | Sep 7, 2015 |
It's an impossible choice. How am I supposed to make it? I think back over the past few weeks and everything that has happened to bring me to this point. It doesn't matter. None of it matters now. All that counts is this choice. This impossible choice.
For Roger, Dana, and Alex--with much love
The text arrives as I'm getting out of the car.

On a quiet, sunny Sunday morning, Livy arrives at her best friend Julia's apartment for a lunch date only to find her dead. Though all the evidence supports it, Livy cannot accept the official ruling of suicide; the Julia she remembers was loud, inappropriate, joyful, outrageous and loving, not depressed. The suspicious circumstances cause Livy to dig further, and she is suddenly forced to confront a horrifying possibility: that Julia was murdered, by the same man who killed Livy's sister, Kara, eighteen years ago.

Desperate to understand the tragedies of her past and hold her unraveling life together, Livy throws herself into the search for Kara and Julia's killer, who she now believes is someone close to her family. But if that is true, can she still trust anyone? Damien, the man Julia was secretly dating? Leo, her husband's boss and a close family friend? His son Paul, her husband's best mate since college? Or even Will, her own dear husband, who has betrayed her perhaps one time too many?

And when Livy finally faces her sister's killer, and he traps her with one horrible, impossible choice, she must finally decide: is she strong enough to trust herself?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,923,046 books! | Top bar: Always visible