A wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin

A wizard of Earthsea (original 1968; edition 1968)

by Ursula K. Le Guin, Ursula K. Le Guin

Series: The Earthsea Cycle (1)

12,614299332 (3.99)1 / 753
A boy grows to manhood while attempting to subdue the evil he unleashed on the world as an apprentice to the Master Wizard.
Member:TylerWeeks
Title:A wizard of Earthsea
Authors:Ursula K. Le Guin
Other authors:Ursula K. Le Guin
Info:London : Victor Gollancz, 1968

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (1968)

The Riddle-Master of Hed by Patricia A. McKillip (BeckyJP)
    The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Sword & Sorcery at it's finest.
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (wosret)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (MarcusH)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret)
    The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Quality, epic fantasy.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    Seaward by Susan Cooper (spiphany)
    Gifts by Ursula K. Le Guin (sturlington)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1) by Philip Pullman (andomck)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (Anjali.Negi)
    The Naming by Alison Croggon (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: The protagonist who starts from humble beginnings to become a powerful mage may be a cliche, but in both these series beginnings there is a carefully thought-out alterative world with sympathetic characters.
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two different schools of magic
    Saga Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan (andomck)
    andomck: Magic systems based on language . One is the secret names of things, the other is secrets itself.
    Tales of Nevèrÿon by Samuel R. Delany (Anonymous user)
    Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor (andomck)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (Othemts)

English (292)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (298)
Source: Children's Books in Children's Hands
Age Range: 10-18
Assessment of Quality: The fantasy worldbuilding is incredibly rich and engrossing on a level similar to works by Tolkien or C.S. Lewis.
Assessment of potential use: This would be a great independent read for a middle-schooler who already loves fantasy.
Assessment of appeal to children: This book has familiar fantasy elements such as dragons, magic, and journeys, but centers on interpersonal relationships and atoning for past mistakes.
  TaylorHowell | Oct 25, 2020 |
The was my first by Ursula Le Guin. I have always heard of her style described as world-building, and I feel I understand that now. This is the story of the early development of a great wizard, Ged, his education, the guidance he receives, the mistakes he makes--allowing his ego to control his actions. The world in which Ged lives, in which the seas dominate, is built out gradually throughout the novel. It is a rich world with varied cultures.

I was not overwhelmed by the novel. I found the story and the characters interesting, at times engaging, but I never felt any strong pull or attraction. I did not dream of being in that world myself, having the chance to experience it first-hand. I did listen to the novel and found the narration a bit mundane, so perhaps my reaction was part narrator and part novel. I did come away with the impression of Ursula Le Guin as very talented and experienced in her craft. ( )
  afkendrick | Oct 24, 2020 |
A WIZARD OR EARTHSEA was better than I expected and I honestly don't have a lot to say about it? A lot of older fantasy can be really iffy, particularly high fantasy, but I assure you, that's not the case with this one. Ursula K. Le Guin wrote in 1968 a book that would go on to influence the genre and here, 50 years later, I'm delighted to say that she did it without sexist*, ableist, racist, or generally any other "ist" involved. Basically... this is a solid epic fantasy book.

Reading with a modern lens, it may feel a little tropey or simple, but keeping in mind, again, formative-genre-fiction and this-is-50+-years-old... I'm honestly just excited about it. And the series. I'm looking for more magic and shadows and dragon battles and I'm here for the series.

For more reviews and bookish content, fly over to The Literary Phoenix.

*some will argue this point. I think the female characters were decent, but they weren't front and center or particularly important because, well, this is Ged's story, not theirs. ( )
  Morteana | Sep 24, 2020 |
Classic, brilliant. Simple, poetic prose, many layers of meaning. Think Galactic notes: http://positronchicago.blogspot.com/2015/01/think-galactic-wizard-of-earthsea-an... ( )
  jakecasella | Sep 21, 2020 |
Lovely, just beautiful. I love every word in Wizard of Earthsea; Le Gain CAN write. The world lay out before you with hidden stories and possibility.
I wish there can be more then six books. ( )
  AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |

Rambelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rikman, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robbins, RuthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saunders, Micksecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Only in silence the word,
only in dark the light,
only in dying life:
bright the hawk's flight
on the empty sky.
—The Creation of Éa
To my brothers
Clifton, Ted, Karl
The island of Gont, a single mountain that lifts its peak a mile above the storm-racked Northeast Sea, is a land famous for wizards.
The wise man is one who never sets himself apart from other living things, whether they have speech or not, and in later years he strove long to learn what can be learned, in silence, from the eyes of animals, the flight of birds, the great slow gestures of trees.
It is very hard for evil to take hold of the unconsenting soul.

Το νησί Γκοντ, ένα μοναχικό βουνό που η κορυφή του υψώνεται ένα μίλη πάνω από τη φουρτουνιασμένη Βορειοανατολική Θάλασσα, είναι ένας τόπος φημισμένος για τους μάγους του. Από τις πόλεις στα οροπέδιά του κι από τα λιμάνια στους σκοτεινούς, στενούς του κόλπους, πολλοί Γκοντιανοί έφυγαν για να υπηρετήσουν τους Άρχοντες του Αρχιπελάγους, στις πόλεις τους σαν μάγοι ή μάγιστροι, ή για ν' αναζητήσουν την περιπέτεια σαν περιπλανώμενοι γητευτές από νησί σε νησί σε όλη τη Γαιοθάλασσα.
Από αυτούς λέγεται ότι ο μεγαλύτερος, σίγουρα ο πιο πολυταξιδεμένος, ήταν ο άντρας που τον έλεγαν Κίρκο, που στις μέρες του έγινε και Άρχοντας των Δράκων και Αρχιμάγιστρος. Τη ζωή του αφηγούνται τα "Κατορθώματα του Γκεντ" και πολλά τραγούδια, αλλά τούτη εδώ δεν είναι μια ιστορία για την εποχή που δεν είχε γίνει ακόμα διάσημος, πριν γραφτούν τα τραγούδια.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Le Guin, Ursula K.,1929-2018.
Ο μάγος του αρχιπελάγους / Ούρσουλα Λε Γκεν · μετάφραση Λίλη Ιωαννίδου. - Αθήνα : Τρίτων, 1991. - 205σ. · 20x12εκ.
gre
Κεντρική διάθεση: Βιβλιοπέλαγος.
Το πρώτο βιβλίο του έπους της Γαιοθάλασσας.
Γλώσσα πρωτοτύπου: αγγλικά
Τίτλος πρωτοτύπου: A Wizard of Earthsea, 1968
ISBN 960-7479-00-9, ISBN-13 978-960-7479-00-6 (Μαλακό εξώφυλλο) ) [Εξαντλημένο ]
813.6
Sparrowhawk or Ged
A nameless shadow follows
Waiting for a name
(Benona)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,708,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible