A Wizard of Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle) by…

A Wizard of Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle) (original 1968; edition 2012)

by Ursula K. Le Guin (Author)

Series: The Earthsea Cycle (1)

13,599325333 (3.98)1 / 775
Ged was the greatest sorcerer in all Earthsea, but once he was called Sparrowhawk, a reckless youth, hungry for power and knowledge, who tampered with long-held secrets and loosed a terrible shadow upon the world. This is the tale of his testing, how he mastered the mighty words of power, tamed an ancient dragon, and crossed death's threshold to restore the balance.… (more)
Member:SachaLamb
Title:A Wizard of Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle)
Authors:Ursula K. Le Guin (Author)
Info:HMH Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: Reissue, 240 pages

Work Information

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (1968)

Recently added byCatholic47, ianross19, Nannus, MissAlandra, private library, sbender78, robinghood, stevedoles, Theriq, Bandit_
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    The Riddle-Master of Hed by Patricia A. McKillip (BeckyJP)
    The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Sword & Sorcery at it's finest.
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (wosret)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (MarcusH)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret)
    The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Quality, epic fantasy.
    The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 1) by Patrick Rothfuss (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    Seaward by Susan Cooper (spiphany)
    Gifts by Ursula K. Le Guin (sturlington)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    Northern Lights by Philip Pullman (andomck)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (Anjali.Negi)
    The Naming by Alison Croggon (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: The protagonist who starts from humble beginnings to become a powerful mage may be a cliche, but in both these series beginnings there is a carefully thought-out alterative world with sympathetic characters.
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two different schools of magic
    Saga Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan (andomck)
    andomck: Magic systems based on language . One is the secret names of things, the other is secrets itself.
    Tales of Nevèrÿon by Samuel R. Delany (Anonymous user)
    Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor (andomck)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (Othemts)

English (319)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (325)
Just as good on my second readthrough. Hopefully I'll remember it better now. I think the narrator of the audio version had just the right lulling tone that I zoned out the first time, but I made sure to pay attention this time. (I tried two narrators and greatly prefer Rob Inglis to Harlan Ellison; Ellison made the tone too light IMO, but Inglis matched the classic slightly weighty fantasy vibe I associate with this series.) It's a fantastic coming-of-age set against the backdrop of a magical, stunningly described world, with profound life lessons perfectly entwined. I think knowing what happens in later books and knowing who Ged becomes made his growth even more poignant this time around. ( )
  hissingpotatoes | Jan 6, 2022 |
A well written and enjoyable to read fantasy book. The story was fairly simple but in a comforting sort of way, and is a coming of age kind of story as well as magical one. There are so many fantasy books that go either with a kind of medieval Europe setting, or mirror a foreign culture with overused tropes and stereotypes. This book didnt do that and the world the author creates is vivid and interesting. The book strikes a good balance between characters, ideas, and story, and has good pacing. I can definitely see why this book is so special to people and has influenced the fantasy genre. ( )
  mutantpudding | Dec 26, 2021 |
What a beautiful book, with diverse characters and a plot that differs from all the fantasy I've been reading of late, no war. Recently I read Powder Mage, Mistborn, First Law, Zelazny's Amber, and I've enjoyed them very much but this book was really a departure. A brilliant adventure with hardly any violence yet exciting enough to keep you reading, long after I should have been asleep. The best part of the book is the prose that I loved, worse part of the book is that it is very short by today's fantasy standard but don't let that stop you from reading it.

I just finished listening to the audiobook and was blown away by how well Harlan Ellison read this book. I've known him as an author but never heard him doing any readings, he brought the text to life and became along with Neil Gaiman one of my favorite narrators. ( )
  kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |
I kind of always knew I'd love these books when I finally got around to them, so I'm not sure what took me so dang long, but oh well.

The funny thing is, Earthsea isn't the kind of fantasy setting I would draw up, personally. I mean, I'm too horny for orcs and whatnot to settle for humans being the only show in town. And I also don't really vibe with the way magic works here? The whole "knowing a thing's true name gives you power over it" thing has never really worked for me. For me, a thing's (or person's) name is an outward thing, to be worn proudly.

Even though it doesn't really work for me in the abstract, I actually love a lot of the storytelling Le Guin does with the whole true name thing. I like that it's a way to establish intimacy and trust between characters. It's an interesting and intentional way to show that someone is making themself vulnerable. So, yeah. It isn't how I think magic works, or how I enjoy seeing it work in fiction, but that doesn't mean it's bad or wrong or whatever.

I also appreciate that the things I vibe with about the book seem to be the same things that were important to Le Guin herself. She talks in the afterward about how she basically "snuck in" the fact that all the good guys in the book aren't white, and all the bad guys are. And also that she very intentionally avoided a very simple conflict-based narrative that glorified war and militarism.

That's a really good sign to me that going forward I'm really going to continue to enjoy the series. I can't wait to see to see what other stories Le Guin felt moved to tell about this world of hers. ( )
  MoonLibrary | Nov 11, 2021 |
It is often on Fantasy must read lists but I must of waited too long to get to it. I find the subject matter and writing style far outside my current interests. Nov 2021
  Seayla2020 | Nov 9, 2021 |

Rambelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rikman, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robbins, RuthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saunders, Micksecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Only in silence the word,
only in dark the light,
only in dying life:
bright the hawk's flight
on the empty sky.
—The Creation of Éa
To my brothers
Clifton, Ted, Karl
The island of Gont, a single mountain that lifts its peak a mile above the storm-racked Northeast Sea, is a land famous for wizards.
The wise man is one who never sets himself apart from other living things, whether they have speech or not, and in later years he strove long to learn what can be learned, in silence, from the eyes of animals, the flight of birds, the great slow gestures of trees.
It is very hard for evil to take hold of the unconsenting soul.

Το νησί Γκοντ, ένα μοναχικό βουνό που η κορυφή του υψώνεται ένα μίλη πάνω από τη φουρτουνιασμένη Βορειοανατολική Θάλασσα, είναι ένας τόπος φημισμένος για τους μάγους του. Από τις πόλεις στα οροπέδιά του κι από τα λιμάνια στους σκοτεινούς, στενούς του κόλπους, πολλοί Γκοντιανοί έφυγαν για να υπηρετήσουν τους Άρχοντες του Αρχιπελάγους, στις πόλεις τους σαν μάγοι ή μάγιστροι, ή για ν' αναζητήσουν την περιπέτεια σαν περιπλανώμενοι γητευτές από νησί σε νησί σε όλη τη Γαιοθάλασσα.
Από αυτούς λέγεται ότι ο μεγαλύτερος, σίγουρα ο πιο πολυταξιδεμένος, ήταν ο άντρας που τον έλεγαν Κίρκο, που στις μέρες του έγινε και Άρχοντας των Δράκων και Αρχιμάγιστρος. Τη ζωή του αφηγούνται τα "Κατορθώματα του Γκεντ" και πολλά τραγούδια, αλλά τούτη εδώ δεν είναι μια ιστορία για την εποχή που δεν είχε γίνει ακόμα διάσημος, πριν γραφτούν τα τραγούδια.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Le Guin, Ursula K.,1929-2018.
Ο μάγος του αρχιπελάγους / Ούρσουλα Λε Γκεν · μετάφραση Λίλη Ιωαννίδου. - Αθήνα : Τρίτων, 1991. - 205σ. · 20x12εκ.
gre
Κεντρική διάθεση: Βιβλιοπέλαγος.
Το πρώτο βιβλίο του έπους της Γαιοθάλασσας.
Γλώσσα πρωτοτύπου: αγγλικά
Τίτλος πρωτοτύπου: A Wizard of Earthsea, 1968
ISBN 960-7479-00-9, ISBN-13 978-960-7479-00-6 (Μαλακό εξώφυλλο) ) [Εξαντλημένο ]
813.6
Sparrowhawk or Ged
A nameless shadow follows
Waiting for a name
(Benona)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,996,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible