A Nearer Moon by Melanie Crowder

A Nearer Moon (edition 2016)

by Melanie Crowder (Author)

Long ago the dam formed, the lively river turned into a swamp, and the wasting illness came to Luna's village, and now that her little sister is sick Luna will do anything to save her, even offer herself to the creature that lives in the swamp on the day of the nearer moon--a lonely and bitter water sprite who was left behind when her people fled through a door to another world.… (more)
Member:ivymarie08
Title:A Nearer Moon
Authors:Melanie Crowder (Author)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2016), Edition: Reprint, 176 pages

Work Information

A Nearer Moon by Melanie Crowder

Original de: El Blog del Gato - El Extraño Gato del Cuento

Te recomiendo A Nearer Moon si te gusta la fantasía y la narración que se toma su buen tiempo en contarte la historia. Soy millenial así que necesito satisfacción instantánea (?)

En alguna de mis versiones en mundos paralelos, una Ella quedó encantada con esta historia, pero la Ella de este mundo se aburrió horriblemente.

La Ella del mundo paralelo obviamente es muchísimo más inteligente que yo

TwitterBlogPinterestTumblrInstagramFacebookTvtime
  Ella_Zegarra | Jan 18, 2022 |
I liked it--3 stars from me isn't bad, it's good, it's a positive, it's on the plus side--but I need a little more to push it from "liked it" to"loved it."

It has a charming fairy-tale feel (I was reminded of good old Hans Christian Andersen's "The Snow Queen") and a marvelous precipitating incident at the beginning, so fresh and startling and sad and unexpected--that was great.

The story is divided between two characters, and two much time was spent on one of them, in my opinion, while the other character, ultimately, didn't contribute to the happy resolution of the plot through any skill or other character trait--again, in keeping with the tone of fairy tales, where sometimes things just happen because the person accidentally touched it, or arrived at the right time, or had golden hair--you know the kind of story. But those stories are usually shorter than this, and I can be more forgiving. This is a short novel, but I think it would have been better as a tighter short story.

Nonetheless, as I said, I liked it, but didn't love it, and will look forward to more by this author.

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Oct 13, 2020 |
Took a little bit for me to get into. The main character is kind of bland.
I like the cover and I like the way the two stories meet.

It's alright.
  Shahnareads | Oct 22, 2019 |
In a small river village where the water is cursed, a girl’s bravery—and the existence of magic—could mean the difference between life and death in this elegant, luminous tale from the author of Parched and Audacity.

Along a lively river, in a village raised on stilts, lives a girl named Luna. All her life she has heard tales of the time before the dam appeared, when sprites danced in the currents and no one got the mysterious wasting illness from a mouthful of river water. These are just stories, though—no sensible person would believe in such things.

Beneath the waves is someone who might disagree. Perdita is a young water sprite, delighting in the wet splash and sparkle, and sad about the day her people will finally finish building their door to another world, in search of a place that humans have not yet discovered.

But when Luna’s little sister falls ill with the river sickness, everyone knows she has only three weeks to live. Luna is determined to find a cure for her beloved sister, no matter what it takes. Even if that means believing in magic. . . .

This book came out in September, 2015

MY THOUGHTS:

I received this book in exchange for my honest review.

I’ve been on such a kick lately for middle-grade reads about sisters. Why? I don’t know, I don’t have one… lol. Maybe, it's the wanting of one most my life, or, maybe it's the fact that I suffered through three brothers growing up lol. :) Who knows...

The cover on this book is WOWZA!

The relationship between the sisters in this book is excellently written and very sweet! The book itself is about family relationships, family values and being true to oneself. It’s about love between sisters, self-sacrifice and acceptance.

The author didn’t waste a single word writing this book. She had something to say and said it. No filler. Not only was she precise and pointed with her thoughts, she was graceful and lyrical in her voice and style. Plot flowed from one event to the next seamlessly and effortlessly. There were no huge surprises in this book, but it wasn’t about that, it was about the writing and the girl’s relationship.

There is no guessing what emotion was being felt or expressed, as the author’s style is rich with meaning and characterization, and reads easily. You read about grief, and community life, about relationships and how to be strong when facing horrific odds.

There’s a supernatural element to the story about the swamp where the community believes it is cursed and a creature of evil lurks below its surface. Luna, doesn’t believe this and is determined to find a way to save her sister.

Rumor is that the swamp is cursed and a creature lives below the waters, but Luna doesn’t believe it. Luna prefers to side with science to heal Willow, but this doesn’t work. She then turns to dealing with the swamp itself by attempting to drain it of the putrid water, and she fails. As she slowly accepts that magic may be involved after all, becomes a believer, then she succeeds. Gotta love fantasy stories! It is not the end results that is the important factor, but the journey to self-discovery that eventually leads to peace. This is not just for Luna but for her entire family.

The alternating between two perspectives, each building the story, developing character growth and enabling resolution at the end, is all done with brilliant insight.

With the theme being sisterly bonds, Luna and Willow’s bond grows almost parallel to Perdy and Gia’s. You see the hurt through Luna’s and Perdy’s eyes and what losing a sister does to each. Each girl is driven by guilt.

There are so many aspects to this story to enjoy: fairies, well-fleshed out characters, self-discovery, personal growth and understanding consequences. Love is the main factor, and what people will do for it.

I really enjoyed the way the author meshed the two stories together and how the backstories of the two sets of sisters are all mixed up together mirroring their hope for the future.

I absolutely loved this story! ( )
  JLSlipak | Mar 18, 2018 |
Luna and Willow live in a village where houses are raised on stilts. They have heard stories about creatures living under the water and the time before the river had a dam, when the clean water flowed freely, and the mucky, slick swamp didn’t exist. When Luna and Willow venture out in their flat boat, and Luna ignores her mother’s silly rules and goes below the dam, her sister falls in the swamp and gets sick. Since no one has ever recovered from the wasting swamp sickness, Luna knows she has to cross the swamp in search of a cure, even it means encountering the water sprites. This short tween novel is an enjoyable story about two sets of sisters from two very different worlds and the great mystery that has so deeply affected their lives.

Sharyn H. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,290,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible