Tower of Thorns (2015)

by Juliet Marillier

Series: Blackthorn & Grim (2)

Disillusioned healer Blackthorn and her companion Grim have settled quietly in Dalriada to wait out the seven years of Blackthorn's bond to her fey mentor. But trouble has a way of seeking out Blackthorn and Grim. Lady Geileis, a noblewoman from the northern border, has asked for the prince of Dalriada's help in expelling a howling creature from an old tower on her land - one surrounded by an impenetrable hedge of thorns. Casting a blight over the entire district, and impossible to drive out by ordinary means, the mysterious presence threatens both the safety and the sanity of all who live nearby. As Blackthorn and Grim begin to put the pieces of the puzzle together, it becomes clear that a powerful adversary is at work. Their quest is about to become a life and death struggle - where even the closest of friends can find themselves on opposite sides.… (more)

This installment improved upon everything that the first had to offer... I look forward to the next book in hopes that it will only get better! ( )
  bookwyrmqueen | Oct 25, 2021 |
Three and a half stars. I liked this one very much, but it had a different tone from the first. There was also a rather large step forward in Blackthorn and Grim's relationship that seemed to happen off-screen. It was like the possibility of a romantic relationship appeared somewhere between books one and two, which had me side-eyeing everything hard.

In all, though, I definitely recommend this whole trilogy. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Jan 25, 2021 |
I only recently started reading this series. I got this review copy for the second book and decided to read the first book so I wouldn’t get lost. The nice thing is I think you don’t have to read the first book to understand what is happening to both Blackthorn and Grim. I did cry when you finally find out what happened to Grim that made him the way he is. Blackthorn is still driven by revenge and in this story a friend from her past finds her and offers her an opportunity for revenge that she can’t pass up. Along the way and to throw Grim off the scent that she is going to break her seven year vow she takes up the challenge of freeing Lady Geiléis from a curse that plagues her land. Of course not everything is as it appears with the curse and information about it appears to be lost in the mists of time.

Paper review copy provided by the publisher
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jan 6, 2020 |
It’s almost a year since healer Blackthorn made her deal with the fey, and escaped Mathuin’s dungeons with Grim. They’ve settled into life at Winterfalls and found a routine which helps order their shattered lives. Things are going along well enough until the arrival of Lady Geiléis of Bann, a noblewoman from the western border on whose lands a beast has taken up residence and whose mournful howling threatens the sanity of all who live nearby. The creature is trapped in an old tower surrounded by thorns, on an island in a river. She petitions Prince Oran for help, but it seems Blackthorn is the only one who can solve this puzzle. Her decision to go is made all the easier by the arrival of an old friend, the scholar Flannan, who has an agenda of his own. When they arrive at Bann, Grim finds himself having to confront his past and the demons that haunt him. Blackthorn has a decision to make, and a puzzle to solve, not made any easier by information she suspects that Geiléis is holding back. Blackthorn is as prickly and outspoken as ever and Grim remains loyal, steadfast, and determined to keep her safe, in fact he may be the only person who can save her. Another fabulous tale by a master storyteller. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Sep 21, 2019 |
Tackling the second book in a series can be a tricky business when the first one happened to be an amazing read: I’m often afraid that the “magic” will not be there with the same strength as it was in that first, remarkable read, so that I tend to postpone my approach to the next volume. Well, I should not have done that with Juliet Marillier’s Blackthorn and Grim, because this second book is even better than the first – and consider that Dreamer’s Pool was already an incredible find.

Read the full review at SPACE and SORCERY BLOG ( )
  SpaceandSorcery | Dec 25, 2018 |

Juliet Marillierprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gold, NatalieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, SusannahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sestayo, ArantzaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sullivan, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Rain had swollen the river to a churning mass of grey.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,060,228 books! | Top bar: Always visible