Orbiting Jupiter by Gary D. Schmidt

Orbiting Jupiter (original 2015; edition 2017)

by Gary D. Schmidt (Author)

Member:Wmaresca
Title:Orbiting Jupiter
Authors:Gary D. Schmidt (Author)
Info:HMH Books for Young Readers (2017), Edition: Reprint, 192 pages
Collections:Read Books, Your library

Orbiting Jupiter by Gary D. Schmidt (2015)

This realistic fiction book is both tragic and inspiring. Told through the voice of Jack, the story of Joseph and his quest to find his daughter Jupiter will leave you both crying and inspired by the bittersweet ending. A book with characters you will not soon forget. ( )
  MissLoughran | Jun 6, 2018 |
I didn't know, really, what to feel about this book once I realized its subject matter. It might be a little narrow-minded of me, but I've never read anything like it that could be marketed as middle-grade, and I thought I would find it, maybe, a little galling. I wasn't sure that I would like it.

Boy, was I wrong.

It was sad in a way only a Gary D. Schmidt's book could ever be.

Simple and sensitive and sad. I didn't feel like it forced me to change my mind about anything. All it did was open my heart. And that's, I think, is the best way to tell a story.

UDT | May 1, 2018 |
;_; ( )
  karbrarian | Apr 28, 2018 |
This book...it's awesome. I wanted to cry my eyes out at the end. ( )
  Martha.Louise.Owen | Apr 23, 2018 |
A farm family in rural Maine fosters Joseph, a 14-year-old whose life is a series of unfortunate events. It's a rough start for Joseph and his new family, too, but he soon opens up to them after a bonding moment with foster brother, Jack. Joseph explains the truth behind the stories and shares his determination to reunite with his daughter, Jupiter. Just when life begins to look up, bad things go down.

Schmidt smartly establishes setting and character through a first-person narrator. Use of classical allusion, in this case, the Nativity, gives the novel its literary chops. Then there are the humorous potshots at English teachers, the nods to great literature, the ins and outs of middle school life one expects from Schmidt. But, somehow, in ORBITING JUPITER, Schmidt has managed to accomplish with fewer words what he fails to do in many of his other books--here, he makes every scene plausible. There are no zany subplots or misdirected steps. The most appealing of his novels, ORBITING JUPITER will stand out as classic Schmidt--crisp, clear, compelling.

Schmidt, Gary D. ORBITING JUPITER. New York: Clarion Books. Advanced Review Copy provided by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Books for Young Readers.

Publication Date: November 3, 2015.
ISBN: 9780544462229
Ages: 12 and up
Grades: 7 and up ( )
  MsKathleen | Jan 29, 2018 |
"Before you agree to have Joseph come live with you," Mrs. Stroud said, "there are one or two things you ought to understand."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 054446222X, Hardcover)

The two-time Newbery Honor winner Gary D. Schmidt delivers the shattering story of Joseph, a father at thirteen, who has never seen his daughter, Jupiter. After spending time in a juvenile facility, he’s placed with a foster family on a farm in rural Maine. Here Joseph, damaged and withdrawn, meets twelve-year-old Jack, who narrates the account of the troubled, passionate teen who wants to find his baby at any cost. In this riveting novel, two boys discover the true meaning of family and the sacrifices it requires.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 23 Mar 2015 10:47:56 -0400)

"Jack, 12, tells the gripping story of Joseph, 14, who joins his family as a foster child. Damaged in prison, Joseph wants nothing more than to find his baby daughter, Jupiter, whom he has never seen. When Joseph has begun to believe he'll have a future, he is confronted by demons from his past that force a tragic sacrifice"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,035,292 books! | Top bar: Always visible