The Road to Little Dribbling: Adventures of an American in Britain

by Bill Bryson

Series: Bill Bryson's Complete Notes (3)

The hilarious and loving sequel to a hilarious and loving classic of travel writing: Notes from a Small Island, Bill Bryson's valentine to his adopted country of England. In 1995 Bill Bryson got into his car and took a weeks-long farewell motoring trip about England before moving his family back to the United States. The book about that trip, Notes from a Small Island, is uproarious and endlessly endearing, one of the most acute and affectionate portrayals of England in all its glorious eccentricity ever written. Two decades later, he set out again to rediscover that country, and the result is The Road to Little Dribbling.… (more)
Recently added bygholbut, private library, Arina8888, LisvaneLibrary, LisaHedd, Feathered-Friend
    Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson (dajashby)
    dajashby: Twenty years earlier, Bryson hits on the winning formula. Every bit as amusing.
    Real Cardiff by Peter Finch (darllenwr_brwd)
    darllenwr_brwd: If you want to focus on the contemporary and the historical of a city bypassed by Bryson this may be for you.

English (105)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (107)
I'm not sure if it was for humorous effect or what, but Bryson comes off as quite the grumpy curmudgeon a good portion of the book. He does at times poke fun at himself too, which I enjoyed more, but lots and lots of complaining that towns have gone down hill since the '70s, or that a particular sandwich he ate was poor, or that some random shop keeper or ticket seller didn't respond how he wanted them to, etc. I wouldn't want someone to sugar coat every aspect of their travels, but there's plenty of middle ground between the two! Still, it's an interesting topic and he had some good insight as well. ( )
  JorgeousJotts | Dec 3, 2021 |
Aweful! Bryson as a bloviating, bigoted, grumpy old white guy, phoning in a tedious nostalgia trip. ( )
  dualmon | Nov 17, 2021 |
I've enjoyed his walking tour books before, but the history was fairly perfunctory, and the comic bits even more so. ( )
  brett.sovereign | Jul 10, 2021 |
I read this almost immediately after finishing Notes from a Small Island, and I found this twenty years later sequel disappointing. There isn't nearly as much detailed information about various parts of Britain; instead Bryson spends a lot of the time griping about things, such as shortsighted politicians, government spending on the wrong things, litter, geographical illiteracy, and so on. Even if you agree with Bryson--and I do in almost every case--it makes for an often depressing read. This overshadows the actually informative parts of the book. I guess it is Bryson's deep love for Britain and things British that makes him despair at a lot of the things he sees. And with his success, and as he grows older, he has no need to please anyone but himself. And in this book, that's exactly what he does. ( )
  datrappert | Jul 5, 2021 |
Bryson used to wander off the path to have look at something interesting. Now, I think he wanders because he has no idea where he meant to go. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |

Bryson, Billprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bauer, ThomasÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Diderich, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gower, NeilCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Osgood, NathanReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, ClaireDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To James, Rosie, and Daphne. Welcome.
Before I went there for the first time, about all I knew about Bognor Regis, beyond how to spell it, was that some British monarch, at some uncertain point in the past, in a moment of deathbed acerbity, called out the words 'Bugger Bognor' just before expiring, though which monarch it was and why his parting wish on earth was to see a medium-sized English coastal resort sodomized are questions I could not answer.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,227,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible