The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge

The Lie Tree (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Frances Hardinge (Author)

1,3366211,861 (4)103
On an island off the south coast of Victorian England, fourteen-year-old Faith investigates the mysterious death of her father, who was involved in a scandal, and discovers a tree that feeds upon lies and gives those who eat its fruit visions of truth.
Member:vancampen
Title:The Lie Tree
Authors:Frances Hardinge (Author)
Info:Macmillan (2015), Edition: Main Market, 417 pages
Collections:Kindle Books

Work Information

The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge (2015)

English (60)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (61)
Superb. Frances is a wonderful storyteller. One of the best, currently. Ostensibly written for children, this is a fine adult book too. ( )
  ortgard | Sep 22, 2022 |
A fantastic book, probably the best one I've read this year. The main character has depth and interest. She's flawed and charismatic and compelling. And the primary theme of the book made me think deeply about lies and their implications, and truth and the human craving for it.

I didn't realize it was considered YA until I'd finished it. I found it totally absorbing as an adult. ( )
  AlainaZ | Jun 5, 2022 |
Holy literary fiction disguised as teen lit, batman!

I mean, not like teens can't read literary fiction. One assumes that, given the immense popularity of literary fiction, there must be budding literary aficionados among the teens even now. I wasn't expecting it, however, and felt caught off-guard. But I digress.

A dark, brooding, historical fiction bildungsroman, with a clever and sly young woman protagonist who desires to become a naturalist. Well written, hypnotic, and strange. Not really likeable, per say, but certainly engrossing. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
Excellent writing. Middle school appeal, but I enjoyed it as an adult. Thought-provoking.

Set in Victorian England, the women's history aspect was well covered, from corset-wearing to women's place and only source of agency. ( )
  fromthecomfychair | Apr 13, 2022 |
A classic Hardinge plot: twisty and inventive and fresh. But, whereas I don't usually mind her verbose writing, here it was less tolerable. ( )
  Elna_McIntosh | Sep 29, 2021 |

Frances Hardingeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chris RiddellIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fox, EmiliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Iacobaci, GiuseppeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kempe, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my father
For quiet wisdom and integrity,
and for respecting me as an adult long before I was one
The boat moved with a nauseous, relentless rhythm, like someone chewing on a rotten tooth.
A lie was like a fire, Faith was discovering. At first it needed to be nursed and fed, but carefully and gently. A slight breath would fan the new-born flames, but too vigorous a huff would blow it out. Some lies took hold and spread, crackling with excitement, and no longer needed to be fed. But then these were no longer your lies. They had a life and shape of their own and there was no controlling them.
'Listen, Faith. A girl cannot be brave, or clever, or skilled as a boy can. If she is not good, she is nothing. Do you understand?' (p. 96)

The Lie Tree feeds on
secrets and lies, and its fruit
give visions of truth.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,091,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible