The Second Life of Nick Mason by Steve…

The Second Life of Nick Mason

by Steve Hamilton

Just not for me. ( )
  jill1121 | Jun 1, 2019 |
Hmm... it's a good way to start a new series, I guess. I'm already all in on Steve Hamilton so this was fine and fun for me. If I was encountering him for the first time, I'm not sure I would have enjoyed this quite as much. Also "Nick Mason" is about the worst name for a convict turned samurai assassin that I can think of. It's bland, bland, bland.

There are some great set pieces and some weird bits left hanging. The speed with which Mason becomes a ruthless killer in order to ensure he can see his wife and child combined with the speed with which he gives them up and starts a relationship with another civilian is all a bit daft, but I'm nitpicking. Perfectly acceptable read for lazing on the couch. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
Nick Mason grew up poor in Chicago, and was a bit of a delinquent in his young adult life, until one time when he got caught and sent to prison. While in prison, he sold his soul to get released early. He is now beholden and does things he never expected to do. Enjoyable first Nick Mason story. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
Steve Hamilton introduces a new, flawed character-Nick Mason in this thriller filled with twists and turns. I found it hard to put this book down. ( )
  lewilliams | Jun 6, 2018 |
This is a book about Nick Mason, a man serving 25 years to life in a federal prison. After making a deal with an inmate to help him get out so he can see his daughter, he is forced into a life he'd never thought he'd be a part of. This book has some great action and suspense as well as a great leading character you can't help but root for. My only note on this book for why I gave it 3 out 5 stars is that I felt it needed more of something. I'm not quite sure what it is that was missing, but it definitely felt like it was lacking something.

BingeReader87 | Nov 22, 2017 |
Nick Mason's freedom lasted less than a minute.

"Nick Mason is out of prison. After five years inside, he has just been given the one thing a man facing 25-to-life never gets, a second chance. But it comes at a terrible price. Nick Mason is out of prison, but he's not free. Whenever his cell phone rings, day or night, he must answer it and follow whatever order he is given. It's the deal he made with Darius Cole, a criminal kingpin serving a double-life term who still runs an empire from his prison cell. Forced to commit increasingly more dangerous crimes, hunted by the relentless detective who put him behind bars, and desperate to go straight and rebuild his life with his daughter and ex-wife, Nick will ultimately have to risk everything--his family, his sanity, and even his life--to finally break free"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,357,581 books! | Top bar: Always visible