I Will Always Write Back: How One Letter…

I Will Always Write Back: How One Letter Changed Two Lives (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Martin Ganda, Caitlin Alifirenka, Liz Welch (Contributor)

The New York Times bestselling true story of an all-American girl and a boy from Zimbabwe and the letter that changed both of their lives forever. It started as an assignment. Everyone in Caitlin's class wrote to an unknown student somewhere in a distant place. Martin was lucky to even receive a pen-pal letter. There were only ten letters, and fifty kids in his class. But he was the top student, so he got the first one. That letter was the beginning of a correspondence that spanned six years and changed two lives. In this compelling dual memoir, Caitlin and Martin recount how they became best friends --and better people--through their long-distance exchange. Their story will inspire you to look beyond your own life and wonder about the world at large and your place in it.… (more)
Member:miracosta
Title:I Will Always Write Back: How One Letter Changed Two Lives
Authors:Martin Ganda
Other authors:Caitlin Alifirenka, Liz Welch (Contributor)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2015), Hardcover, 400 pages

I Will Always Write Back: How One Letter Changed Two Lives by Martin Ganda (2015)

I listened to the audio version of this book and it was really engaging. The voices were just what I could imagine Martin and Caitlin's voices might have been like. I learned a lot about Zimbabwe and the hardships of the people there. I admired Caitlin's commitment to supporting Martin even though she was a young girl. The book didn't shy away from showing the huge difference between their two lives and how superficial American teens can be due to growing up in such a privileged society. I would love to know how both are doing since the end of this book. ( )
  sdbookhound | Feb 1, 2021 |
In a society where we enjoy instant communication, through emails, Twitter, instagram, and more, it takes a bit of imagination to put yourself in a place where correspondence happens through unreliable snail-mail, with letters arriving only monthly, if that. That’s how Caitlin, from Pennsylvania, and Martin, from Zimbabwe, became friends. This unlikely friendship developed between a school girl with a big heart, and a school boy who wanted a better life for his family and himself. As Caitlin began to realize the poverty and need that existed where Martin lived, she was determined to do something about it, and her desire empowered not only her and her family, but also Martin, and especially, those people who had the power and wherewithal to help. The result is documented in this well written book, by Caitlin and Martin with the help of Liz Welch. As Caitlin says at the close of the book, “Kindness is contagious. It changes lives. It changes mine. What will it do for you?” We can’t all do what Caitlin did for Martin and his family, but even if we can’t do everything she did, it shouldn’t stop us from doing what we can do, no matter how little that may be. ( )
  Maydacat | Feb 23, 2020 |
I Will Always Write Back Kate Cornfeld P7

I will always write back is about a girl named Caitlin, and a boy named Martin. It all starts when Caitlin gets an assignment to write a letter to someone in Zimbabwe. She writes a letter to Martin. They begin to write to each other very often. Martin asks Caitlin to send him a dollar bill so he can see what it looks like. Soon the one dollar that bought dinner for his family turns into regular 20 dollar bills that keep Martin is school. Caitlin continues sending him money, along with clothes, shoes, toiletries, and supplies. Soon it is time for Martin to go to college. Caitlin and her mom set off on a quest to get him a full scholarship to a college in the USA. After weeks of phone calls, emails, and letters, it works! Martin get a full scholarship to a college near Caitlin’s home.

One of the reasons that I like this book so much was because it shows it from both characters point of view. The book tells the truth about what Caitlin faces in school, and what Martin feels when he gets all of the packages. My favorite part of the book is when Caitlin gets to talk to him on the phone for the first time. My least favorite part is when Caitlin breaks up with her boyfriend, because he is always teasing her about Martin. Another one of my favorite parts is when Caitlin and her family visit Walter, one of Martin’s friends who came to college in the US, and they decorate his dorm room. I would give this book a rating of 5 out of 5.
  KCornfeld.ELA7 | Oct 29, 2019 |
I Will Always Write Back is about 12 year old girl named Caitlin that gets a pen pal assignment to a person in Zimbabwe, Africa. The person that is Caitlin's pen pal is a boy named Martin. I Will Always Write Back takes place during Martin and Caitlins life. Martin lives in a one room house with his parents and siblings and he is very poor but very smart. Caitlin lives in Pennsylvania with her parents and her brother. Martin can not go to school because his parents don't have enough enough money to pay for his school fees. He writes Caitlin about how he is not in school anymore and how his father lost his job so they don't have money. After that letter Caitlin starts sending Martin money and clothes and supplies for his family. Martin gets into a really good school and he writes Caitlin and says he wants to go to college in the U.S. Caitlin and her family contact different schools to try to get martin a full scholarship. Her parents contacted schools but none of them offered him a full scholarship. When Martin figures this ou he becomes a teacher for a little while but he is not getting enough money so he quits. Finally Caitlin and her family find a college that will give Martin a full scholarship. Martin finally arrives in the U.S. and Caitlin and her family greet him with open arms. At the end of the book it tells you about how they are when they finally grew up.

I loved I Will Always Write Back because it was very interesting and it never got boring. The book was amazing because it is a very good true story and it taught you to open up to the world. I gave this book a 5 because it teaches you so much. This book is a book that you don't want to put down because of how well stuff is described. This book also has suspense because you don't know for a while if Martin is ever going to go to the United States. This book has a lot of action because it tells about Martin and Caitlins life. It also tells about the letters they wrote to each other. I love how the book tells Martin and Caitlins feelings throughout the book. I also love that there is an epilogue to the book that tells about them when they are grown up. It is amazing that the book was written by Caitlin and Martin an it had numbers at the top of some pages like a diary. This book overall was a great book. ( )
  TBoydELA7 | Oct 28, 2019 |
An interesting look at two lives in contrast. Both with good hearts, and strong wills, and how they learned to see life through each others' circumstances. ( )
  Pepperwings | Jan 2, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,130,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible