Hunter (A Hunter Novel, 1) by Mercedes…

Hunter (A Hunter Novel, 1) (edition 2016)

by Mercedes Lackey (Author)

Series: Hunter (1)

"A teenage girl leaves home to join the legendary Hunters, who protect the people from the terrifying monsters that have overrun their world"--
Member:pandaofhugs
Title:Hunter (A Hunter Novel, 1)
Authors:Mercedes Lackey (Author)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2016), Edition: Reprint, 400 pages

Work Information

Hunter by Mercedes Lackey

There's nearly something here, but it feels like a bad mashup of other people's ideas. Nothing new, not even a new angle. If someone trained an AI to write this with machine learning from the genre corpus I wouldn't be surprised. ( )
  jamestomasino | Sep 11, 2021 |
They came after the Diseray. Some were terrors ripped from our collective imaginations, remnants of every mythology across the world. And some were like nothing anyone had ever dreamed up, even in their worst nightmares.
Monsters.
Long ago, the barriers between our world and the Otherworld were ripped open, and it’s taken centuries to bring back civilization in the wake of the catastrophe. Now, the luckiest Cits live in enclosed communities, behind walls that keep them safe from the hideous creatures fighting to break through. Others are not so lucky.
To Joyeaux Charmand, who has been a Hunter in her tight-knit mountain community since she was a child, every Cit without magic deserves her protection from dangerous Othersiders. Then she is called to Apex City, where the best Hunters are kept to protect the most important people.
Joy soon realizes that the city’s powerful leaders care more about luring Cits into a false sense of security than protecting them. More and more monsters are getting through the barriers, and the close calls are becoming too frequent to ignore. Yet the Cits have no sense of how much danger they’re in-to them, Joy and her corp of fellow Hunters are just action stars they watch on TV.
When an act of sabotage against Joy takes an unbearable toll, Joy uncovers a terrifying conspiracy in the city. There is something much worse than the usual monsters infiltrating Apex. And it may be too late to stop them?
  Gmomaj | Aug 26, 2021 |
For the first novel by this author I have listened to on audiobook, I was entertained most of the way through. Mercedes Lackey has written an infinite number of novels - by which I mean I know I will never be able to read them all. (Seriously, look at that bibliography...) Taking this one as an example, it is part of a trilogy taking place in a dystopian world full of storybook creatures and built upon centuries of fantasy cliches. However, it justifies the use of many of the tropes through clever loopholes in its own world-building. I will list some pluses and minuses.

Pluses: an easy read or listen.
Lackey does not seem any worse or any better at writing than Ann Leckie. The suspiciously similar last name notwithstanding, I was more engaged by Hunter than I was by Ancillary Justice. Whereas Lackey writes prolifically, Leckie seems to scoop up all the awards and acclaim. I prefer an industrious writer working from the shadows.

I was surprised by the dark tone, the violent action sequences and the fast pacing.
Strong suspension of disbelief is required. Humorous bloodthirsty gnome-like monstrosities and other nightmarish hoards.
The world-building actually does its job.
Functional post-apocalypse where conflict is essentially guaranteed for eternity. (I used this same approach for my serialized novel.)

Minuses:
Cardboard side characters.
Unlikeable 1st person heroine. Seriously, the biggest let-down is that main character. What if she had been similar to Poul Anderson's main character from Broken Sword? It would have been a much more enjoyable read.
World-building shortcuts. Heavy reliance on cliches. Clashing tones.
Anti-religious themes that don't seem to add anything to the plot.
The magic system could've been more interesting. I don't require plausible explanations, but advanced tech super powers without any literary invention is tough to swallow.

I actually feel like listening to the sequel's audiobook. Despite my reservations, it was still competent. I have been a lot less enthusiastic about certain Niven, Sheckley, Heinlein, Anderson, and Silverberg disgraces. (See my 2star shelf).
  LSPopovich | Apr 8, 2020 |
This is a new YA series set in a future where things from Otherside are attacking humans. A few people are born with the powers to fight them with their “hounds”. Hounds are from another dimension and help the hunters in their battles. They can look like almost anything and they live off the manna they take from the Othersiders in death. All Hunters must report to Apex City for training and for the most part to keep the main city safe. Apex is where the rebuilding began after the Diseray happened 250 years ago.
Hunters are the sport stars of Apex, They are constantly under the eye of video feeds and rankings are based on kills and viewership. Joy is on her way to the city to take her place among the Hunters; her uncle has told her to come but to hide the information of her life out in the mountains. Her uncle is in charge of the Hunters but stays mostly out of contact with her to not show favoritism since everything between them is for public consumption.
Things are not as great in the city as it seems to the people living farther away and there is dissent brewing. This is a good setup book for the rest of the story and I’m curious as to what will come next in this universe.

Digital review copy provided by the publisher through NetGalley
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jan 6, 2020 |
“If you don’t look after your fellow man, if you think that what you want is always more important than what anyone else wants or needs, you’re not human, and that’s that.”

There were other quotes I really liked from this book, but since it was an audiobook I couldn't dog-ear the pages. I can usually find quotes on Goodreads, but there were only three. I really want a physical copy of this book, so I might be able to add more eventually.

Short version: I cannot stop thinking about this book! Joyeaux and her story have stayed with me for days. I was deeply saddened when I went to downloaded the next audiobook and there were none available. I've placed a hold, but that could take up to three weeks.

I love the world Mercedes Lackey has created. There is so much amazing detail and world-building. She manages to tie in different mythologies and religious practices, magic and the otherworld. If you're not a huge fan of lengthy descriptions, you might say this book has a lot of "info-dumping," but I enjoyed it immensely. I was captivated by the story and was enthralled with the depictions of the creatures and scenery. The author paints a beautiful picture that easily played out in my head.

I have my theories about this book and Joy's multiple problems. I'm curious to find out if I'm right! I think there are Hunter's working with the Folk and letting in more and more monsters. The one she ran into on the train said he wanted her to work for him, and that there were others. People, too. I want to know if the Folk are going to end up playing a larger role and helping Joyeaux in some way.

I do wish we had been able to see what her life had been like on the mountain with the monks. She tells us all about it, but I would have really liked to experience that with her and not as a memory. It would have been an interesting perspective to see.

Now, I wait...

Edit 12-10-17: Elite became available at my library yesterday! It wasn't available when I wrote this post, and I am so very happy I do not have to wait three weeks for it.

Originally posted at Do You Dog-ear? on December 10th 2017.
  doyoudogear | Oct 10, 2019 |

Mercedes Lackeyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dixon, LarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Landon, AmyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rebenschied, ShaneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Senders, MarciCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Hunter (1)
In loving memory of my mother, Joyce Ritche, who was always there for me, and was from the first my biggest fan
You couldn't see outside the train windows at night; the conductor had opagued them

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,595,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible