The Magician's Nephew (The Chronicles…

The Magician's Nephew (The Chronicles of Narnia) (original 1955; edition 2008)

by C. S. Lewis (Author), Pauline Baynes (Illustrator)

When Digory and Polly try to return the wicked witch Jadis to her own world, the magic gets mixed up and they all land in Narnia where they witness Aslan blessing the animals with human speech.
Member:Chai.Tea
Title:The Magician's Nephew (The Chronicles of Narnia)
Authors:C. S. Lewis (Author)
Other authors:Pauline Baynes (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1994), Edition: Reprint, 208 pages

Work Information

The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (1955)

English (305)  Spanish (4)  German (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Dutch (2)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Polish (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (325)
I loved "The Chronicles of Narnia" as a child and read most of those books many times. They were my introduction to fantasy and my very favourite books before I discovered Tolkien and somewhat grew out of the Narnia stories. I think that I last read them when I was about 12 years old and I have wanted to reread them for many years. I still have all my old German Narnia books, but I bought a beautiful complete collection in English four years ago and I read from that one. I started with the first book in chronological order, "The Magician's Nephew".

"The Magician's Nephew" is a kind of prequel to the other Narnia stories and takes place several decades before the events of the more famous "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe", which was the first one to be written and published. Apparently, many scholars think that the books should be read in publication order and not in chronological order and I agree with them. This prequel tells the story of Narnia's creation and how the first humans came to arrive there, and I think it takes away some of the wonder that you would usually experience when reading "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe". So I agree that it works better to read the prequel later, to be able to fully enjoy "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe", discovering Narnia for the first time with the Pevensie children in that one.

I clearly remember that "The Magician's Nephew" was not my favourite when I read it as a child and that I was a bit bewildered by it. It did not feel as authentic and natural as the other books. More than twenty years later, I still agree with that.
The main characters are Digory and Polly, two children living next to each other, who one day stumble into the secret room of Digory's uncle and are transported to another world by his magic rings. They ultimately end up in Narnia and witness the lion Aslan creating a new world.
The novel includes a lot of Christian elements and draws heavily from the book of Genesis and I must admit that it is all too much for me. I feel like Lewis drums those Christian messages into it with too much force. The character of Digory's uncle feels too comical to me, and altogether, many elements are rather too silly for my liking. The story feels quite fragmented sometimes because the silly elements seem to clash with the heavy topics of sin, temptation and guilt. The plot also drags a bit, which might be a consequence of the fact that Lewis took several years to write it with long breaks in-between.
Apart from that, I rather like the London setting of parts of the story, and the nostalgic feeling. It is told in retrospect, looking back to a time that is gone, and although that is sugar-coated of course, I enjoyed reading about it. The ending also makes up for a lot of aspects I didn't like, because the following Narnia stories are foreshadowed and I became all excited to read those, too. ( )
  MissBrangwen | Sep 18, 2022 |
First of the Narnia Chronicles, Narnia newly born. The nephew of the uncle who thinks he is a Magician finds Narnia, then returns. ( )
  Kristelh | Aug 3, 2022 |
This is really quite good until the pacing gets crippled around the 3/4 mark. Some nice sci-fi elements, although clearly this should have been called The Wood Between the Worlds, a much better name.
I wonder if its connected to William Morris's [b:The Wood Beyond the World|723155|The Wood Beyond the World|William Morris|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1347680292l/723155._SX50_.jpg|1700756], i havn't read that one yet. The wood did remind me of the wood/swamp of silence they usually trap Loki in, in Marvel comics, which i don't think is anything from Norse mythology, that might have its origin here.

It almost seems like Lewis is being a bit less sexist than usual when he retells the Adam and Eve myth with the male making the fatal error, until you remember his version of satan is a woman so i guess it evens out ;) .

Some of the prelude elements setting up Narnia are quite good. It does create a continuity error i think. If i remember right someone, Aslan i think, states that the witch actually made herself look human, and this is one of the signs of how evil she is. Taking a human shape when your not human is like super evil, apparently. Except here we see that the character was always like that, it never changed shape.
Maybe i'm getting it mixed up with the Queen from the Silver Chair but i don't think so.

Anyway, i've been doing these rereads in publication order, just one more to go. ( )
  wreade1872 | Jul 25, 2022 |
I really liked the emphasis on faith in this one and The Silver Chair. Obedience even without Understanding requires Faith. Faith in the one we are obedient to, that He knows better than we do. I think this one might be one of my favorites because the latter third is so much about Aslan. ( )
  Michael_J | Jun 2, 2022 |
One of my favorite books. ( )
  kskristine | May 17, 2022 |

Rochère, Cécile Dutheil de laTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suchet, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the Kilmer family
This is a story about something that happened long ago when your grandfather was a child.
A terrible thirst and hunger came over him and a longing to taste that fruit. He put it hastily into his pocket; but there were plenty of others. Could it be wrong to taste one? After all, he thought, the notice on the gate might not have been exactly an order; it might have been only a piece of advice - and who cares about advice?
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.
For what you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing: it also depends on what sort of person you are.
Please do NOT combine "The Magician's Nephew" with "The Chronicles of Narnia".
Unabridged - please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

When Digory and Polly discover Uncle Andrew's secret workshop, they are tricked into touching some magic rings that take them right out of this world. But even Uncle Andrew doesn't realise the wonders that lie ahead as they discover the gateway to the magical land of Narnia.
If you ever did

want to know where the White Witch

came from, read this book.

(CathWhitney)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,967,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible