The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis

The Magician's Nephew (original 1955; edition 2008)

by C. S. Lewis (Author)

When Digory and Polly try to return the wicked witch Jadis to her own world, the magic gets mixed up and they all land in Narnia where they witness Aslan blessing the animals with human speech.
Member:mrsbitnerpcs8
Title:The Magician's Nephew
Authors:C. S. Lewis (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (1994), Edition: Illustrated, 208 pages

Work Information

The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (1955)

English (293)  German (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Danish (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (310)
This was a re-read with the child. For me this is one of the weaker books in the series and one of the most heavy handed with Christian biblical imagery. There are some lovely moments and it works as a prequel, but this should never be read as book 1. This is the hill I will die on, as book 1 it ruins too much of the magic and discovery found in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Also I was so annoyed at the constant bourbon talk and the uncle repeating "dem fine woman" that's just gross to keep reading out loud to an 8 year old. ( )
  readingjag | Nov 29, 2021 |
Much better than I remembered. Real world building here. Feels deeper and more complex than The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. But read The Lion before this one. It really gives more of a payoff if you do. M figuring out connections as we read this one was awesome! ( )
  Joe901 | Nov 2, 2021 |
This is by far my favorite on the series. I loved rereading it and watching Diggory discover the consequences of his actions and the joys of helping others. I love the story, start to finish, and it was so fun to read with my daughter.

“Oh, Adam’s sons, how cleverly you defend yourselves against all that might do you good!” ( )
  bookworm12 | Oct 29, 2021 |
The first book of the Chronicles of Narnia series. You are introduced to how Narnia is created. I don't have much experience with this series but I do remember one of my teachers reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe in elementary school. You are introduced to all three subjects in the next book. Whimsical fantasy book. Wood Between Worlds is a very interesting and exciting concept. Would be interesting to see what other worlds exist (Besides Charn and Narnia). It's hard to rate children's books as an adult but I feel 4 stars is fair given it was a silly, fun read, it's the start of a renowned series and it had some exciting ideas. ( )
  IrishProvo | Oct 22, 2021 |
Uncle Andrew is much creepier than I remember. Digory and Polly are highly reminiscent of Eustace and Jill Pole, complete with squabbling. The Wood between the World is maybe my favorite location in all the Narnia books (though with stiff competition).

The biblical parallels are much clearer to me now reading as an adult. I wasn't really bothered by them, but the post-creation Narnia parts of the book were much less interesting to me than the Wood and Charn and even London. My favorite parts of Narnia were always the weird and cool and off-beat parts, and here it's just an Edenic paradise. Makes sense for a prequel, but still. ( )
  misslevel | Sep 22, 2021 |

Rochère, Cécile Dutheil de laTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suchet, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the Kilmer family
This is a story about something that happened long ago when your grandfather was a child.
A terrible thirst and hunger came over him and a longing to taste that fruit. He put it hastily into his pocket; but there were plenty of others. Could it be wrong to taste one? After all, he thought, the notice on the gate might not have been exactly an order; it might have been only a piece of advice - and who cares about advice?
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.
For what you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing: it also depends on what sort of person you are.
Please do NOT combine "The Magician's Nephew" with "The Chronicles of Narnia".
Unabridged - please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

When Digory and Polly discover Uncle Andrew's secret workshop, they are tricked into touching some magic rings that take them right out of this world. But even Uncle Andrew doesn't realise the wonders that lie ahead as they discover the gateway to the magical land of Narnia.
If you ever did

want to know where the White Witch

came from, read this book.

(CathWhitney)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,462,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible