A Ghostly Demise: A Ghostly Southern Mystery…

A Ghostly Demise: A Ghostly Southern Mystery (Ghostly Southern Mysteries) (edition 2015)

by Tonya Kappes (Author)

Member:cc1158
Title:A Ghostly Demise: A Ghostly Southern Mystery (Ghostly Southern Mysteries)
Authors:Tonya Kappes (Author)
Info:Witness (2015), 288 pages

A Ghostly Demise by Tonya Kappes

This is the 3rd book in the Ghostly Southern Mystery series, and I found it to be just okay. The mystery was decent but I didn't feel like the story flowed as well as it could have. The dialogue was a little off at times, and one thing repeatedly bothered me. One of the characters in the book loves Stroh's beer, and main character Emma states that he pronounces it incorrectly by leaving off the "h" sound. She brings this up over and over again. The "h" in the word Stroh's is silent. Every time this would come up, I kept wondering how on earth she though Stroh's was supposed to be pronounced. It really threw me off. Everything tied together nicely at the end but I felt like there was just too much going on and too many characters for the length of the book. ( )
  mandolin77 | Dec 29, 2016 |
I enjoy this series set in the small town of Sleepy Hollow, Kentucky. The town is full of quirky characters and murder. Emma Lee is part owner of the Eternal Slumber Funeral Home and has the extra fun of being a Betweener. Basically, murder victims need her help to cross over and she is obligated to help them. Only her boyfriend, policeman Jack Henry, knows this. Everyone else thinks she is just a bit off. In this book, Emma Lee has to help Cephus Hardy cross. And is not going to be easy because he really can remember anything about his murder. As a matter of fact, most people think he just skipped town. Anyway, it is fun to watch Emma Lee try to help Cephus while managing all the other complications of life in a small town. If you are looking for a fast fun read, this series might be just the thing. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Mar 4, 2016 |
So here we are, back in Sleepy Hollow, Kentucky. And yes, Emma Lee still sees and hears ghosts. It’s a side affect of having a giant plastic Santa fall on her and knock her out cold.

Her doctor calls it ‘funeral trauma’, not believing she really communicates with ghosts. Appropriate name as she and her sister run Eternal Slumber Funeral Home.

Emma is shocked and pleased to run into Cephus Hardy. He just up and vanished 5 years ago, leaving his wife and daughter to fend for themselves. It’s only after Doc Clyde starts talking to her that she realizes Cephus is a ghost. Drat, now Doc will tell her grandmother, Zula Fae, and soon the whole town will know she still suffers from funeral trauma.

Cephus tells her he didn’t abandon his family. Says he never left Sleepy Hollow. Adamant that he was murdered. But, he can’t tell her where his body is or who killed him. Emma Lee takes this info to her boyfriend, Sheriff Jack Henry. Yep, they are now officially boyfriend and girlfriend.

There’s not much to go on, but Jack Henry starts digging. So does Emma Lee, much to his consternation. With two murder cases under her belt, Emma dives back in with no regard to danger. Business as usual, think Jack Henry.

You never know who you;re going to meet in this series. each book introduces new characters, new ghosts. They all have such fun names.

In the south, lots of people go by their first and middle name. You’ll be bumping into Zula Fae again. Emma’s grandmother is following through on her plans to run for mayor, and she’s taking her campaign to a whole new level. She’s such a pistol.

There’s also Mable Claire, Beulah Paige, Hettie Bell, and Cheryl Lynne. to mention a few more. I keep waiting for a Bubba to pop up.

So, the skinny is, someone murdered Cephus. Emma Lee has to solve the case, the whole town thinks she’s still whacko, and her granny is taxing her last nerve. So much fun.

About twenty-five percent into the book, I found my first clue. But, knowing this author, I couldn’t count on that leading me anywhere but down the garden path. So I pressed on, and tripped over a few more clues. Yep, they led all over the place.

I’ll leave you here. Don’t want to spoil anything. Grab it. Read it. Find out for yourself who did what. A good thing is, you don’t have to have read the other books to jump into this series. The author fills you in on past events quickly and in just the right places. ( )
  laura-thomas | Feb 2, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062374915, Mass Market Paperback)

The prodigal father returns—but this ghost is no holy spirit

When she runs into her friend's deadbeat dad at the local deli, undertaker Emma Lee Raines can't wait to tell Mary Anna Hardy that he's back in Sleepy Hollow, Kentucky, after five long years. Cephus Hardy may have been the town drunk, but he didn't disappear on an epic bender like everyone thought: He was murdered. And he's heard that Emma Lee's been helping lost souls move on to that great big party in the sky.

Why do ghosts always bother Emma Lee at the worst times? Her granny's mayoral campaign is in high gear, a carnival is taking over the town square, and her hunky boyfriend, Sheriff Jack Henry Ross, is stuck wrestling runaway goats. Besides, Cephus has no clue whodunit…unless it was one of Mrs. Hardy's not-so-secret admirers. All roads lead Emma Lee to that carnival—and a killer who isn't clowning around.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 22 Aug 2015 20:19:36 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,886,830 books! | Top bar: Always visible