The Original Mediterranean Cuisine: Medieval Recipes for Today

by Barbara Santich

The Original Mediterranean Cuisine is both culinary history and cookbook, with 70 recipes from fourteenth- and fifteenth-century Catalan and Italian manuscripts, adapted for today's kitchens. Starting with the natural and cultural affinities of Mediterranean Europe, such that a medieval merchant from Italy could be understood in Marseille and Barcelona, it demonstrates the culinary similarities that differentiated this region from northern Europe. The first edition was published by Wakefield Press in Australia in 1995 and licensed in 1996 to Chicago Review Press in the USA. This edition has been extensively revised and enlarged by a third and is lavishly illustrated with images from medieval texts. It includes new sections on the medieval table and table manners, and discusses the significance of the medieval banquet through a selection of menus.… (more)

This is a very good book to start exploring medieval cuisine as it includes both a bit of background information, the original recipe being recreated and an interpretation for the modern kitchen and palate. Note that sometimes the original and the interpretation differ but I find this is done only on occasion and in a respectful way, not like in other books where the original is sometimes only an inspiration.

I do find many of the recipes are very nice to eat, but that depends on your personal taste, of course. I like food that isn't bland so the seasonings and mixes are quite in my line of food, so I 'd like this even if I wasn't interested in the history of food and taste.

There's recipes of all kinds, from vegetable to meat, seafood and dessert.
  mariannep | Oct 25, 2009 |
Very Highly Recommended. One of my favorites ( )
  lilinah | Sep 21, 2005 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 202,000,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible