Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: Roald…

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: Roald Dahl (edition 2016)

by Roald Dahl (Author)

20,616408145 (4.1)1 / 304
Each of five children lucky enough to discover an entry ticket into Mr. Willy Wonka's mysterious chocolate factory takes advantage of the situation in his own way.
Member:Flynn-Rider
Title:Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: Roald Dahl
Authors:Roald Dahl (Author)
Info:Puffin (2016), Edition: 01, 208 pages

Work Information

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl (gilberts)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (elenchus)
    elenchus: Both The Mysterious Benedict Society and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory feature children more capable than either their peers or they themselves give credit, and adults who could learn from them. I find in Dahl an undercurrent of misanthropy, which Stewart counters without becoming precious.… (more)
    Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein (cransell)
    Wonders, Inc. by Crawford Kilian (bookel)
    The Bubblegum Tree by Alexander McCall Smith (bookel)
    The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams (Scottneumann)
    The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling (infiniteletters)
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (jacqueline065)
    jacqueline065: This is amore mature verion of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    The Magical Monarch of Mo by L. Frank Baum (bookel)
Robin (6)

English (376)  Spanish (7)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  German (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Danish (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (401)
***libro leido en conjunto con el grupo lectores Argentinos***, contextualizandolo como un libro para niños, subjetivamente su fantasia me parece hermosa cada detalle de la fabrica sus habitantes, el ascensor, el tema que quiere abordar sobre el comportamiento compulsivo de los niños cuyos padres no les ponen limites es claro y bien desarrollado. Un libro que puedes leer con un/a nene/a y disfrutarlo muchisimo. El abuelo Joe es genial. ( )
  Enzokolis | Jan 17, 2022 |
Young Charlie Bucket is one of five lucky children who win a Golden Ticket to the top secret Chocolate Factory owned and run by the mysterious Willy Wonka. Amazing sights await and it soon becomes evident that there is more to this tour than appears at first glance.

Not having been a Roald Dahl fan as a child, I was looking forward to read his novels aloud to my girls. My initial enthusiasm (see my review of [b:The Giraffe And The Pelly And Me|6694|The Giraffe And The Pelly And Me|Roald Dahl|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1165604309s/6694.jpg|419514] soon started to wear off. And this must count as my most disappointing Dahl read so far. Widely lauded as one of the best children's books ever, it just didn't work for me. For a start, I found Willy Wonka to be probably the most irritating and sanctimonious literary character I ever had the misfortune to meet. Given a choice, I'd prefer to join Count Dracula or Lady Macbeth for tea rather than spend another five minutes with Mr Wonka. He is, after all, an autocratic master who exploits the expendable "Oompa Loompas" at his factory and spends the novel goading kids into breaking the rules only to dispense sadistic punishments when they do so.

Secondly, for all its undoubted flights of fancy, the novel is underpinned by a surprisingly repetitive and not particularly beguiling narrative structure. As one by one the children end up in (literally) sticky situations, one starts to feel that the plot is not as fantastically imaginative as appears on the surface and, in its own way, is not much more complicated than a Dora the Explorer episode. To opt for a more flattering analogy, it is like a Mozart or Haydn rondo, where the same theme keeps returning with variants. Except that Mozart is way more fun.

The same can be said for the novel's world view. The wackiness and dark humour of the book make it seem subversive, but "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" is ultimately quite a traditional (and, frankly, patronising) cautionary tale where (surprise, surprise) disobedient spoilt brats who eat too much and watch too much tv are punished whilst the long-suffering "good boy" gets a reward. I have no problem with that - but perhaps the frequent portrayal of Dahl as an impish, iconoclastic author is at odds with the underlying message of this novel.

Naturally, I might be missing some subtle ironic interpretation. I wish it were the case.

To be fair, my kids did enjoy the book, although my younger daughter (6 years old) was quite distressed at the fate of the naughty children. Evidently she has a greater sense of compassion than Wonka. ( )
  JosephCamilleri | Jan 1, 2022 |
Chocolate anyone...lol. ✔️ ( )
  SamQTrust | Oct 22, 2021 |
It was a very interesting book and I loved reading the book because it was funny & amazing. And I didn't feel boring while reading it.
  Sumbul.Ali | Oct 19, 2021 |
Charlie finds the last of the Golden Tickets and wins the trip of a lifetime to Mr. Wonka's Chocolate Factory.
  BLTSbraille | Sep 8, 2021 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a teacher's guide

For Theo
These two very old people are the father and mother of Mr Bucket.
'Whips!’ cried Veruca Salt. ‘What on earth do you use whips for?’

‘For whipping cream, of course,’ said Mr Wonka. ‘How can you whip cream without whips? Whipped cream isn’t whipped cream at all unless it’s been whipped with whips. Just as a poached egg isn’t a poached egg unless it’s been stolen from the woods in the dead of night!'

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,239,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible