The Story of My Teeth by Valeria Luiselli

The Story of My Teeth (edition 2015)

by Valeria Luiselli (Author), Christina MacSweeney (Translator)

"Bon vivant, world traveler, auctioneer--the story of Highway and his teeth is like Johnny Cash meets Robert Walser in Mexico"--
Member:jimctierney
Title:The Story of My Teeth
Authors:Valeria Luiselli (Author)
Other authors:Christina MacSweeney (Translator)
Info:Coffee House Press (2015), Edition: Translation, 184 pages
Tags:best-fiction

The Story of My Teeth by Valeria Luiselli

English (21)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (23)
A wacky, brilliantly creative construction from found objects—photographs, bits of literature. Bar rooms and roadside debris, art installations. Clowns and teeth and factory work. A book about the writing of a book with a narrator. Stories of stories.

Clown Shoes Chocolate Sombrero Stout
Pipeworks Blood Orange Guppy Session IPA
  MusicalGlass | May 12, 2020 |
Agreeably weird little book. Reminded me a bit of Call me Zebra with it's gleefully unlikable narrator and also maybe a little of Rivka Galchen's Atmospheric Disturbances.
  Latkes | Dec 1, 2019 |
Thank goodness for the Tournament of Books, or I would never have discovered The Story of My Teeth. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of reading this book, which included several moments of actual laughter and a whole heap of smirks. If you want something quirky, quick, and weirdly lovable, this is a good choice. And be sure to read the back matter. This novel is a story about storytelling, but the book itself has its own eccentric history that's described after Gustavo Sanchez Sanchez's tales. ( )
  rhowens | Nov 26, 2019 |
Have you ever been around a precocious child? They are instantly adorable with their attempts at adult wit, and then because they want to continue pleasing the adults they go on and on and on trying to rekindle the magic. After about 3 minutes you are congratulating yourself on sticking to your never punch a preschooler rule and after 6 minutes you feign the urgent need to visit the bathroom.

This book is that, but instead of a precocious toddler its a "philosophy of language" post doc candidate who dazzles herself with her wit and her command of Russian authors, German painters, and American iconography and assumes you too will be dazzled.

The saving grace is the chronology written by the translator which weaves our narrator's story into history. If you want to pat yourself on the back for knowing obscure factoids about Klee, or Mahler, or Wittgenstein, or Rousseau, or Mexican juice have at it. Blessedly short, spectacularly pretentious. ( )
  Narshkite | May 3, 2019 |
I giggled my way through the first 90 pages or so (the names!), but after that it started to feel tedious. I found myself skimming through the rest until I got to the penultimate section, where a new voice stepped in and woke things up. Even though this is a short book, I think this would have worked better as an even shorter novella. At least for me. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |

Valeria Luiselliprimary authorall editionscalculated
MacSweeney, ChristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ploetz, DagmarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ik ben de beste veilingmeester ter wereld.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,665,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible