The Way of Herbs

by Michael Tierra

THE WAY OF HERBS is an essential manual for gaining and maintaining health through a holistic approach, a natural path to well being. It contains complete, easy-to-use information on simple herbal remedies and gives detailed descriptions of more than 140 Western herbs and 31 important Chinese herbs. With interest in natural health remedies and alternatives to Western medicine on the rise, Michael Tierra provides a classic work on herbs and natural healing.… (more)

Excellent resource ( )
  Yvensong | Jan 25, 2012 |
While I give this book high marks for its thorough knowledge of herbology, I cannot agree with Mr. Tierra about some of his other ideas. For example, on page 274, Mr. Tierra comments that "Headaches are usually caused by bowel and stomach disorders, or may be due to tension, stress, weak kidneys or sluggish liver function." and then goes on to suggest taking a laxative to cure them! While I understand that he works from the Chinese Herbal system where all parts of the body are connected, this is medically inaccurate save for his mention of stress and tension.

I am interested in his mention of chemosurgery for surface tumors, even though it is controversial. However, the above makes me really question the accuracy or applicability of his treatments, especially since he spends most of the book bashing Western medicine. In my opinion, complimentary medicine can and should work hand in hand with Western medicine, and his attitude is the attitude that makes it hard for this to occur. ( )
  Orthaevelve | Dec 15, 2010 |
A good, thorough reference work on the use of herbs. ( )
  herebedragons | Feb 5, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,324,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible