To Shield the Queen by Fiona Buckley

To Shield the Queen (1997)

by Fiona Buckley

Series: Ursula Blanchard mysteries (1)

In London, a Catholic plot is brewing against Queen Elizabeth I. Luckily for the Protestant monarch, the plot is uncovered by her lady-in-waiting, Ursula Blanchard, a young widow making her debut as a sleuth. First in a series.

A mystery, set in among historical figures. Eventually, I decided to read it as a "cozy" mystery, and not for historical background. ( )
  Pmaurer | Jun 5, 2017 |
Although still married to Amy, Sir Robert Dudley is courting Queen Elizabeth. This does not sit well with members of the court, nor those in the kingdom still wanting to bring back their “catholic” monarchy. Enter Ursula Blanchard, a newly widowed young mother in dire straits needing to financially look after herself and her daughter. She takes a position as a lady-in-waiting to Queen Elizabeth and ends up caring for Amy Dudley, in order to dispel rumors that Dudley is slowly poisoning his wife to free himself for Elizabeth. Treachery and murder abound and Ursula finds herself in the role of investigator, sadly, to the detriment of her own love life.

This is a well written book that will appeal to readers of historical fiction, especially fans of Phillippa Gregory and Arianna Franklin.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
first in series
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
I'm a fan of a well-done historical mystery, and this is the first of a series that leaves me wanting to read more. I like the mix not just of historical and fictional characters, but of historical and fictional mysteries set in the Elizabethian Age, and the Tudor period is certainly one I find fascinating and is evoked nicely here. The historical mystery in this case revolves around the death of Robin Dudley's first wife, Amy Robsart which Walter Scott made the subject of his novel Kenilworth. Interestingly when I was reading this I saw a new non-fiction book surrounding this real mystery, and reading a bit through it, I was all the more impressed with the obvious research that went into Buckley's novel. I also liked the sleuth and narrator, Ursula Blanchard. Newly widowed and a young mother, she is a member of the court of a Queen Elizabeth who has been on the throne less than two years. Ursula is arguably too modern in her attitudes--but then its a fine line in making a character both authentic and sympathetic. I like her and the characters surrounding her enough I'd like to read more, as much to find out what happens to her than to read more mysteries set in a rich period. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Feb 7, 2011 |
An Elizabethan murder mystery is not my normal fare but I downloaded this title from Overdrive and it was an enjoyable listen. Nadia May has a wonderful voice that would make an audio cookbook worth listening to. Fiona Buckley's writing was paced like a typical mystery - more Agatha Christie, less Stieg Larsson - and she's not reluctant about a bit of violence or intrigue to move the plot along. The main character, Ursula Blanchard, suffers a loss and winds up a lady-in waiting to Queen Elizabeth. She is then asked to go to Robert Dudley's home to assist his dying wife, who fears that Dudley is trying to speed up that death. Along the way, she makes a romantic connection that is hindered by her own mourning. It seemed to take a long time for the sleuthing element to really kick in to gear. I suppose I prefer a mystery where, relatively early on, you start with the mystery and then spend most of the rest of the story on discovering the evidence and whodunit. The ending was well hidden from view, so it was rewarding in that way but I can't say I'd read the next three books about Ursula. Unless Nadia May was reading them! ( )
  davidpwhelan | Dec 18, 2010 |

Fiona Buckleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bliss, Harry F.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
May, NadiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for my agent, David Grossman
John Wilton was a small man, knotted and wiry, with short, dusty brown hair which stuck up in spikes.
aka The Robsart Mystery

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,758,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible