The Girl in the Spider's Web by David…

The Girl in the Spider's Web

by David Lagercrantz

Series: Millennium (4)

English (114)  Spanish (6)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  French (3)  Italian (3)  Catalan (2)  Danish (2)  All languages (136)
Almost too many characters to keep everyone straight. However another great Lizabeth Salander story, it seems to have been left open for another book! ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |
Great plot, rich characters. Would have been so much better (and twice as long) if Stieg Larrson had been alive to write it. But, I will take it.:) ( )
  ioplibrarian | Aug 26, 2018 |
3.5/5 Lots of controversy surrounding The Girl in the Spider's Web: isn't it just glorified fanfic, but it's based on Larson's outline for the series, but Larrson's partner was strongly against it. Ok, I love the Millennium series, I pretty much knew I was going to read it despite how problematic it is. David Lagercrantz does a good job at capturing what the series is about, tone, and continuing the series on. Mikael is burning out and Millennium isn't doing so well, Lisbeth has been Lisbeth and recently hacked into the NSA. Their paths meet again when a scientist who had his technology stolen and is killed in front of his autistic son. It sounds interesting and even deals with Lisbeth's background which ties into the plot. The thing is, there was too much going on, lots of characters involved in different story lines that eventually interweave. At times it was hard to follow, you want it to make sense, you know it will all come together and usually it all falls into a place and you're just like ohhh, that didn't happen with this book for me. I was left feeling like HUH, how did you get this from that? I have an idea of how it all connects, but the ending, or solution to the problem, doesn't add up to the process we were on throughout the book. It doesn't fully connect, yet we are told it does without seeing how and why. So that is my biggest issue with Spider's Web, the style is different, rather than seeing and coming to the judgement outselves that Lisbeth is a badass complex character by her actions, we are instead told that through other characters. And Lisbeth isn't even in most of the book. Mikael has more depth though. The rest of the characters are simple and easily divided into good and bad. I'm not disappointed in the book, I hope Lagercrantz continues the series, I feel he can work out the kinks, make the series continue to be great, while still making it his own. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Jul 9, 2018 |
It’s been about six years since I read the original Stieg Larsson books, but I thought Lagercrantz did a good job of capturing the style and characters in this continuation of the series. The story was multilayered and kept me turning the pages, and even though I had no clue what the mathematical mumbo jumbo was all about it didn’t turn me off. I’d have liked Berger to have been given a bigger role, and felt Salander needed much more page time, but hopefully that will come in the next book. ( )
  SadieBabie | Jun 23, 2018 |
2 stars, barely.

I'm not sure why Goodreads didn't capture a single one of my status updates for this book, but whatever...

This was an obvious cash-grab with one exceedingly glaring issue: David Lagercrantz doesn't *know* the characters. Even though he was selected to write this fourth book, he failed spectacularly to capture the same magic of the first three books; he wasn't even close. He reduced the scope and character of Lisbeth Salander, turning her into a near-mindless moron near the end of the book. The dialogue is terrible and clichéd, and the author spends page after page on descriptions of things that have no impact on the plot.

If this were a standalone book, and not a follow-on to a bestselling series, this might be a better read. As it stands now, it doesn't reach the standard established by Stieg Larsson. That said, I'm not recommending this book. Read (and reread) the original trilogy, and enjoy the characters as Larsson wrote them. Stay away from this one. ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 7, 2018 |

David Lagercrantzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Allenstein, UrselÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goulding, GeorgeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frans Balder hatte sich immer für einen erbärmlichen Vater gehalten.
This story begins with a dream, and not a particularly spectacular one at that.

Late one night, Blomkvist receives a phone call from a source claiming to have information vital to the United States. The source has been in contact with a young female superhacker—a hacker resembling someone Blomkvist knows all too well. The implications are staggering. Blomkvist, in desperate need of a scoop for Millennium, turns to Salander for help. She, as usual, has her own agenda. The secret they are both chasing is at the center of a tangled web of spies, cybercriminals, and governments around the world, and someone is prepared to kill to protect it . . .

The duo who captivated millions of readers in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest join forces again in this adrenaline-charged, uniquely of-the-moment thriller.
lisbeth salander
computrix extraordinaire
hunts her evil twin

(sibyx)

After receiving a call from a trusted source claiming to have vital information to the United States, journalist Mikael Blomkvist turns to hacker Lisbeth for help.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,929,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible