The Girl in the Spider's Web: A Lisbeth…

The Girl in the Spider's Web: A Lisbeth Salander novel, continuing Stieg… (edition 2015)

by David Lagercrantz (Author)

Series: Millennium (4)

After receiving a call from a trusted source claiming to have vital information to the United States, journalist Mikael Blomkvist turns to hacker Lisbeth for help.
Member:acappon
Title:The Girl in the Spider's Web: A Lisbeth Salander novel, continuing Stieg Larsson's Millennium Series
Authors:David Lagercrantz (Author)
Info:Knopf (2015), Edition: Second Edition, 416 pages
Rating:**

Work Information

The Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz

English (162)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (3)  German (3)  French (3)  Catalan (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (185)
I went into reading this book with the thought that it has a snowballs chance in hell to be as good as Stieg Larsson's books. I mean they are something of the best I have ever read when it comes to Swedish books (Actually when I think about it that doesn't say that much since every damn person in Sweden seems to think that they are the new Stieg Larsson or Liza Marklund or whatever). What I want to say is that even though I have been looking forward to reading the book have I also had back in my mind some doubts about the book. It feels a bit like Stieg Larsson father and brother just want more cash and voilà let's find an author to write a fourth novel so we can bath in money. So I'm glad that I just borrowed the book from the library and not bought it so now they didn't get that much money from me reading the book.

I found it the first 150-200 pages just OK. Honestly, I thought it was much easier to read than the trilogy, less intrigue, and more action. And, I can say that about the book now that I have finished it. It felt much more action-filled than the trilogy and with less graphic violence (which isn't that bad). Now it's been a couple of years since I read the trilogy, but I doubt it took me two days to read a book as it did with this one. And, even though math and hacking aren't my things did this book feel when it came to the case less complicated, but it was still a good book. I was a bit annoyed about the incompetence of the Swedish police and some other character in the book. But I liked finding out more about Lisbeth Salander and stuff I had forgotten came back while I read the book. And, the ending was good. Not a cliffhanger, but more an opportunity for a sequel. I think the turning point in the book for me was when Lisbeth got more involved in the story. That's when I felt that this is a book that is hard to put down.

I liked the book, I can't deny it. I had a smile on my face at the ending and I enjoyed the story. It was much more of a fast read than the original books, but frankly, that doesn't bother me much. It was a worthy sequel and I hope to read more books by David Lagercrantz.

4.5 stars ( )
  MaraBlaise | Jul 23, 2022 |
Very well written. I think you would be hard pressed to tell it wasn't Steig Larson ( )
  Sunandsand | Apr 30, 2022 |
Fast-paced, exciting, and action-packed but while reading it I felt like something was off or missing.

I think Lagercrantz had to create a NEW reason/threat/challenge for Salander to revive her fight and flight mode behavior. He chose well but muddled it by adding too many bad actors. I found his throwing government corruption, corporate corruption, and personal corruption into the mix was too confusing and exhausting.

I also felt that toward the end of the book, there was an awkward amount of EXPLAINING of high-level IT operations up against the real and continuous threat of hackers.

Despite these debits, I plan on reading the last 2 books in the series. Hope they improve upon this one.
  Bookish59 | Apr 28, 2022 |
(4) (Millennium)
  MartinsVicente | Feb 4, 2022 |
3.5 to 4 stars. A worthy follow up, don't expect smaller conspiracies. This book is a great way to update Salander's skills and add great characters to the mix. ( )
  eduardochang | Feb 3, 2022 |

Lexell, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ortega Román, Juan JoséTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reichlin, SaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rousson, Hege RoelTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frans Balder hatte sich immer für einen erbärmlichen Vater gehalten.
This story begins with a dream, and not a particularly spectacular one at that.

Late one night, Blomkvist receives a phone call from a source claiming to have information vital to the United States. The source has been in contact with a young female superhacker—a hacker resembling someone Blomkvist knows all too well. The implications are staggering. Blomkvist, in desperate need of a scoop for Millennium, turns to Salander for help. She, as usual, has her own agenda. The secret they are both chasing is at the center of a tangled web of spies, cybercriminals, and governments around the world, and someone is prepared to kill to protect it . . .

The duo who captivated millions of readers in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest join forces again in this adrenaline-charged, uniquely of-the-moment thriller.
lisbeth salander
computrix extraordinaire
hunts her evil twin

(sibyx)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,282,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible