The Dorito Effect: The Surprising New Truth…

The Dorito Effect: The Surprising New Truth About Food and Flavor

by Mark Schatzker

Scary food book. BUT very interesting how and why Natural Flavorings came to be. Tacos in a chip! ( )
  ksmedberg | Aug 15, 2018 |
Pretty interesting read about the surprising (or maybe not so surprising) things that go into our food.

The basic premise is that farmers and business owners have conspired to make food a lot more profitable, making it very bland in the process. We can buy huge chickens, bright red tomatoes, and many other "improved" food items in the grocery stores, but these "improvements" have come at the cost of flavor, so scientists have come up with all sorts of additives to make our food taste more like the food it is supposed to be. Strawberries become "strawberry-er". Vanilla becomes "vanilla-er".

It truth, all of the additives that go into our food is quite scary. This book helps pull the curtain back a little bit on the history of food additives and where this is potentially headed into the future. ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 7, 2018 |
I'll still want Doritos though... The information in the book is probably not going to be too shocking for anyone who takes an interest in what goes into our food, why flavors are the way they are, and why processed foods are bad. Author Schatzker takes the reader though histories, experiments and stories of how and why we have changed what we eat and why we now have such high prevalence of type 2 diabetes, heart disease and obesity.

But I couldn't help but find the book very disjointed. We start off with a history of Weight Watchers, then move into how flavor and the birth of Doritos change what humans like to eat and the tastes that go with it. As the author says, "flavor matters." Perhaps that's why there are so many odd recipe combinations to mix together different tastes and textures.

Unsurprisingly, I wasn't shocked when I found the author is a journalist. I still don't know what it is, but books by journalists rarely sit well with me and that's the case here. My interest just waxed and waned and I found I just did not care as much as the I did when I first head about the book's premise. Overall I found the book a real struggle to get through.

Personally after I read this I thought of Michael Moss's 'Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us' as a another book with similar themes and thought was much better. Library for this one.
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
I LOVED this book. Very interesting thesis about the relationship between flavor and nutrition, the innate nutritional wisdom that each of us is endowed with, which contributes to my belief that health is holistic rather than allopathic. ( )
  yamiyoghurt | Jan 29, 2018 |
This book is so good (the audio is very good, read by Chris Patton, won an earphones award). This book is about food and it is very interesting and based on real research. I had to get the book, because there is so much information and I wanted to gather some notes which isn’t easy to do when listening to an audio. The reader does read some of the footnotes but the back of the book there is the Bibliography, Notes and breaks that down by chapters siting articles that the author is using in his book and an index. So if you like food and are concerned about your food, as I am, then you will love this book. Well maybe that isn’t quite right. When I started reading this book I was so disheartened as it seemed like maybe it was a lost cause. Scientist and industry began changing our food in the forties. I was born in the fifties and am lucky to remember some of the great taste of foods but it was already changing. People of younger generations may never have tasted food that hasn’t been robbed of its flavors. The author looks at obesity and from a flavor stand point why obesity has risen in spite of all the great diets available. Flavors are very interesting things and this book is about flavor. This book is not all against science/industry and in fact acknowledges that we probably can’t afford to go back to a preindustrial food source nor is there land to do so but science can help provide solutions. It ends on an encouraging note however it is really up to consumers and that does still leave me feeling a bit pessimistic that food can achieve its former greatness. ( )
  Kristelh | Jan 19, 2018 |

Mark Schatzkerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Patton, ChrisNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"In The Dorito Effect, Mark Schatzker shows us how our approach to the nation's number one public health crisis has gotten it wrong. The epidemics of obesity, heart disease, and diabetes are not tied to the overabundance of fat or carbs or any other specific nutrient. Instead, we have been led astray by the growing divide between flavor--the tastes we crave--and the underlying nutrition" -- provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,549,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible