Hell or High Water

by Julie Ann Walker

Series: Deep Six (July 2015 - book 1)

"Only two things could make former Navy SEAL Leo Anderson return to the world of weapons and warfare. First, a capsule of chemical weapons lost on the ocean floor, and second, a plea for assistance from the one woman he can't seem to forget--CIA Agent Olivia Mortier. Now, working together to race against the clock and a deadly terrorist faction, Leo and Olivia must find the missing capsule, all the while battling the intense desire burning between them. If they can survive, can their growing attraction become more than just a momentary flare?"--… (more)

Hell or High Water was a fantastic start to a new series! It was fun, suspenseful, and sexy. The old saying location, location, location definitely was true here. We have the common elements of Navy SEALs and dangerous situations but all in a fresh new location of high seas adventure; the setting was a huge factor in how much I liked this.

I read this along with the other ladies of the blog and you can read and find out more what we liked about this at: Reading Between the Wines book club ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
This book was amazing! I love the characters and the story. I think I'm going to fall completely in love with the men of Deep Six and their women! ( )
  TiffanyCutshall | Dec 28, 2017 |
Very good book with fast-paced, intense action and well-done relationship building. Leo and his five former SEAL teammates are well on their way to keeping their promise to a dead friend. During a mission gone wrong, he told them to get out while they still could and start living their lives. The six friends have banded together to search for a sunken treasure ship.

I loved Leo, formerly the team leader and still the man they all look to. He feels responsible for making sure their new venture is a success. I really liked the way that he listens to what everyone else has to say before making a decision. He's calm in a crisis, focused and intense when the situation calls for it. He is also facing his inability to get CIA agent Olivia off his mind.

I also really liked Olivia. She is strong, confident, and independent. She is a risk taker, which sometimes comes back to bite her in the butt, which is what has brought her to Leo's doorstep. She owns up to her mistakes and does what she can to fix them. She hasn't been able to forget Leo, either, and he is the one she thinks of when she needs help.

I really enjoyed the development of Leo and Olivia's relationship. They had gotten to know each other during a previous mission. The chemistry between them was intense, but they were unable to pursue it. They haven't seen each other since the terrible end to that mission until Olivia shows up on Leo's doorstep. The heat between them is just as strong as it was before, and neither quite realizes the truth of why right away. Neither has considered any long-term relationship before thanks to incompatible careers. I loved their interactions as Leo's protectiveness comes up against Olivia's independence. I liked the way that Leo knew when it was a lost cause and accepted that Olivia could hold her own. There are also a couple of funny scenes as their chemistry heats up, only to have interruption after interruption throw cold water on it. Leo is the first to realize the depth of his feelings for Olivia and has to figure out how to convince her to take a chance on them. I ached for Olivia because she wants Leo, but is carrying a secret and a load of guilt from their last mission together. This secret comes out at the worst possible time, and Olivia pushes Leo away. They are pulled further apart by the aftermath of their mission. Leo is determined not to give up on her, and what they could have together. I loved the ending and their big moment as Leo is finally able to break through the last of Olivia's walls. The scene on the beach was heartbreaking, but also sweet and romantic. I'm looking forward to seeing more of them both in later books.

The suspense of the story was great. It was fast-paced and intense. From Olivia's arrival to the final battle, most of it takes place over the course of about twenty-four hours. Our heroes have to deal with terrorists, a hijacked yacht, rocket launchers, sinking ships and underwater battles before their mission is done. I was frequently on the edge of my seat as I wondered how they were going to get out of their current situation.

As the first book in the series, there was a fair amount of time spent on the backstory leading up to the beginning. The flashbacks experienced by Leo and Olivia gave a vivid picture of the events that have affected them so deeply. I also enjoyed meeting each of the other SEALs and seeing how each of them fit into the team. Each one has a unique personality and quirks that add to the story. I especially loved Bran and his ability to jerk Leo's chain on a regular basis. Beyond that, the teamwork and connection among them all made the action scenes even more exciting. I also enjoyed getting to know Maddy. She was calm and cool during the whole hijacking scene. I also enjoyed seeing her stand up to the guys and match wits with Bran. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Oct 5, 2017 |
After reading the first three books in the Black Knights series, I gave up continuing the series because I just couldn't connect with the characters or stories. I thought I would give Walker another chance with this new series especially since I like stories about SEALS and underwater salvage. Unfortunately, the characters in this story were impossible to like because all they did was make flip comments and reference pop culture ad nauseam. We don't really get to know their personalities or backgrounds until the end when the main characters of Olivia and Leo reveal a little about themselves to each other. The only character that I enjoyed was Maddy. Her pop culture references fit her character and the names she gave to each of the men were adorable. I really liked the idea of this story, and at the end there is a hint that they might finally search for the sunken ship that was their original goal. I'm not sure, though, if I want to invest any more time in this series. ( )
  Mrslabraden | Jun 28, 2017 |
Its always disappointing when you've loved a previous series of an author and when they come out with a new one you just cannot connect to it. That is the case for me with Deep Six. The base of the series being about retired Navy Seals switching to underwater treasure hunters just didnt thrill me. And sadly neither did any of the characters. ( )
  CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |

Julie Ann Walkerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cartwright, MackenzieReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, TantorPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Deep Six (July 2015 - book 1)

Belongs to Publisher Series

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,709,575 books! | Top bar: Always visible