When Sorrows Come (October Daye) by Seanan…

When Sorrows Come (October Daye) (edition 2021)

by Seanan McGuire (Author)

Series: October Daye (15)

Member:jenniferannwoods
Title:When Sorrows Come (October Daye)
Authors:Seanan McGuire (Author)
Info:Daw Books (2021), 384 pages

When Sorrows Come by Seanan McGuire

Series Info/Source: This is the fifteenth book in the October Daye series, there are 17 books contracted for this series. I borrowed an ebook of this from my library.

Thoughts: Toby is finally getting married to Tybalt, the King of Cats. The complex travel arrangements have been made so no liege or region is offended, the cake is ready, and the dress is a secret (to Toby). Of course Toby’s life is never simple and at the first dinner at the High Court someone tries to kill the High King and Toby is (again) covered in blood. Now not only does Toby have to follow through on her marriage, she must unravel a plot to kill the High King as her duties as a Hero of the Realm demand.

I love revisiting this world and these characters so much. This series is so well written and has been going on for so long that these characters have nearly become family to me. This is a pivotal point in the story and we get to see so much of our favorite characters and learn a lot more about both Quentin’s and the High Court’s past. The mystery here is very well done and the wedding planning parts had me in stitches. They were so funny.

The Luidaeg plays a big (and hilarious) role in this book. Pretty much all of our favorites are a big part of the story. I continue to love Toby and Tybalt as a couple and really enjoy seeing how Toby has built herself such a tight family and how she has grown as a person through this series. This book comes with a novella at the end that I definitely recommend reading since it covers the wedding reception and was very fun.

My Summary (5/5): Overall I can’t say enough good things about this series as a whole, and this book continued in that trend. This was a wonderful addition to the series and made a lot of progress, both in character development and unraveling the mysteries of faerie. If you are looking for an amazing urban fantasy series and haven’t picked up the October Daye series yet, I highly recommend it. I am so curious to see what happens with Oberon in the next book “Sleep No More”. ( )
  krau0098 | Sep 29, 2021 |
Toby and Tybalt's wedding.

Of course it doesn't go smoothly, this is Toby we're talking about. But it's a lot of fun along the way. And the wedding dress is absolutely perfect for her.

Not the best place to start, because there's a lot of backstory here. But a new reader wouldn't be completely lost.

The follow-on novella included in the book is a nice lagniappe. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Sep 25, 2021 |
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---

“Look, I know we’re a feudal system and everything, but we’re living in a modern world,” I said, exasperated. “My underwear has elastic. I have a phone. We can talk like normal people. No one’s going to take points off the final score if we stop sounding like we gargle with bad BBC dramas.”

“Yes, but where’s the fun in talking like normal people?” asked Aethlin. “Half the time I’m a King of Faerie. The other half, ’'m standing in line at Tim Hortons and some asshole in a hockey uniform has just taken the last sour cream glazed. We have to wallow in the aesthetic when we get the chance.”

“I will overthrow your kingdom myself,” I threatened genially. Not genially enough: several of his guard reached for their swords. High King Aethlin sighed and raised a hand for them to stop.

“Your reputation precedes you, Sir Daye. Could you please not make jokes about sedition?”

“Yeah, sorry,” I said.

I am just not capable of doing my typical post about this book, period. Instead, I'm going to give you a list of reasons why you should read When Sorrows Come. But first...

THE (ONLY?) REASON TO NOT READ WHEN SORROWS COME
* You haven't read the first fourteen Toby Daye novels—or you didn't like them. The former I completely understand, the number of supposedly great series that I don't have time for is large enough that I can sympathize. The latter? I can accept that people like you exist, but I don't know if I can ever understand it.

10 REASONS TO READ WHEN SORROWS COME
(In no real order whatsoever)
* If you've read books 1-14, reading this is a no-brainer, and you probably don't need to be reading this.
* You get to see an incredibly Canadian knowe. How Canadian? Think Alpha Flight, The Kids in the Hall, Bob & Doug McKenzie, poutine, Tim Horton's coffee, and extraordinarily polite people saying "eh". That's how Canadian I'm talking about.
* Getting to see the Luidaeg terrify a whole new cast of characters.
* The fun in seeing who actually shows up to see the wedding. (Hint: Just about everyone)
* The chance to see if Toby can make it through her wedding without bleeding all over her wedding dress.
* You can see what you-know-who from A Killing Frost is up to.
* You get to see Toby channel Harry Bosch:

Everyone matters. If there’s one thing I've learned from how hard Evening and her ilk have tried to convince me I don’t matter it’s that everyone matters. The alternative is a world where no one matters, and since I know that isn’t true, “everyone” is the only option we have left.

* Quentin gets a jaw-dropping makeover.
* A hint about a new squire...
* You need some joy.

AND WITH REVELING
I've never talked about one of the bonus novellas that come with a Toby Daye novel, for reasons to complicated to get into (and frankly boring to me). But I have to say something about this one.

First, this is my biggest complaint in this volume—it shouldn't be a novella. It should be the last chapter (or chapters) of When Sorrows Come. At the very least, an extended epilogue. It should not be read separately from the novel, and the novel shouldn't be read without out it.

Essentially, it's about the wedding reception. Toby and Tybalt relaxing, enjoying their friends and loved ones. Receiving gifts, blessings, and well-wishes—including one gift for Toby that made me laugh out loud. And another that

I absolutely loved it. It was the thick, buttercream frosting on the perfect cake of the novel.

A FINAL THOUGHT ABOUT WHEN SORROWS COME
I mentioned joy earlier because, on the eve of its release, Seanan McGuire tweeted:

...the purpose of this book is joy. I wrote it in 2020. I needed joy. Very, very badly.

I need joy even more now. And if I can't make it for myself, I can damn well give it to my imaginary friend.

So you can pan the book for being simple, but I have no regrets. I needed joy. I think you need joy too.

Hopefully, McGuire got enough joy to keep going from what she gave her Imaginary Friend—I know she provided this fan with some, I imagine I'm not alone. ( )
  hcnewton | Sep 24, 2021 |
Real review to come later >>>this is mainly a rant. Review is below the mini-rant!

I feel that you don't need to drink an entire gallon of milk to know it is spoiled. I had to drink more spoiled milk with this book to get to the good stuff than I am comfortable with. The author does NOT need to keep padding the book with back-story and minutiae.

Apparently, I am the only person in this world who has trouble with how boring, bloated, angsty, and selfish the first part of this book is. If I hear Toby whining one more time about what is going on with the wedding without her, I will be throwing my Kindle...well into something soft. It's not the Kindle's fault that this book is starting so horribly that I am looking for anything else to do other than read this book. But, hey, maybe I'll scrub the toilets!?! It's not my Kindles fault that Toby is getting everything she wanted with this wedding, and yet she still has the audacity to moan and groan and pity herself.

Of course, we remain with the author's typical tropes/cliches; Toby and the crew will be getting nice and bloody. But, she will save the near unsavable and come back from being nearly dead.

I know that there are two more (at least) books coming out after this one, and I am at the point that I am not sure I will be reading these. The angst in these later books is enough to drive me crazy.

Well, I did force myself to get past the first 1/3 of the book, and it finally got interesting enough to keep going. This was not a spectacular book, but it kept my attention well enough to finish it.

So, they are married. Toby saved a Kingdom, and Oberon is still--- well, I can't say because it is possibly a spoiler for future books.

But this is what I really feel at this point in the series, the main characters (Toby) really haven't grown; they just seem to pay lip service to growth. ( )
  Cats57 | Sep 17, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

When sorrows come, they come not single spies,
But in battalions.
—William Shakespeare, Hamlet.
For Kayleigh.
Took us long enough, but now we're here.
If six months ago, you'd told me I would be the one to bring Oberon, King of All Faerie, home from his long exile, I would have laughed in your face.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,387,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible