Charlotte's Web (Trophy Newbery) by E. B.…

Charlotte's Web (Trophy Newbery) (original 1952; edition 2012)

by E. B. White (Author)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.
Member:HeatherF7
Title:Charlotte's Web (Trophy Newbery)
Authors:E. B. White (Author)
Info:HarperCollins Publishers (2012), Edition: Reprint, 184 pages

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (1952)

Robin (5)
Read (14)

English (939)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (941)
My daughter and I both agree, a 5-star read. This was one of my favorite movies as a child, but this is the first time reading it, and I got to introduce the story to my daughter on top of it. She seemed to really like it and when I would stop to check if she was listening, she was following the story well, even interrupted me to ask a few questions. I admit I cried near the end. My daughter caught me, "mom are you crying?" It was so sad. This is a must-read in my opinion. ( )
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
When I was six, my teacher read Charlotte's Web to me and my grade one class, but I remember being bored. I recently read a collection of E.B. White's essays, and I was enchanted by the ones about his life in the country. I resolved to re-read Charlotte's Web as an adult, to see what I got out of it. Wow, it was a very different experience. It's a very short book, readable in a couple of hours. I laughed a lot, but it's not a comedy. It's more about life and the nature of friendship.

Maybe I didn't get much out of it when I was young because I lived on a farm, but it wasn't much like the farm in Charlotte's Web. Our farm was just a lot of work, and the last thing I wanted was to be reminded of the pig pens waiting to be cleaned when I got home. That's all history now, so when I read it as an adult, my experience was tinged by nostalgia rather than dread. Much better! ( )
  troymcc | Jun 30, 2021 |
The story was mildly touching, though written in that stilted, stuffy way only one as prescriptive as White would write. It could have benefited from a little more life in its prose, but it's clear and to-the-point. More than that, it could have benefited from more lively characters. I didn't really like Wilbur or Charlotte. The former was annoyingly naive in a child-like way, and the latter was bossy and humorless. ( )
  peterbmacd | Jun 22, 2021 |
Excellent book that I originally read as a child. ( )
  Jimbookbuff1963 | Jun 5, 2021 |
This is a beautiful story I read to my daughter over forty years ago, enjoying it as much as she did. ( )
  LGCullens | Jun 1, 2021 |

Ferrari, AntongionataIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Streep, MerylNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wells, RosemaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

This is the tale of how a little girl named Fern, with the help of a friendly spider called Charlotte, saved her pig, Wilbur, from the usual fate of nice fat little pigs.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
In danger near Christmastime,
But one spider helps.
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

E B White's book CHARLOTTE’S WEB was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

4 1981

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,276,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible