Charlotte's Web by E. B White

Charlotte's Web (original 1952; edition 2012)

by E. B White (Author)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.
Member:LauranClaunch
Title:Charlotte's Web
Authors:E. B White (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Edition: 1, 192 pages

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (1952)

Robin (5)
Read (14)

English (944)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (946)
The story of a little girl named Fern who loved a little pig named Wilbur--and of Wilbur's dear friend Charlotte A. Cavatica, a beautiful large grey spider who lived with Wilbur in the barn.
  BLTSbraille | Oct 26, 2021 |
Don't stop reading to your children once they learn how to read. Pick a night a week and read a chapter from your favorite childhood novels. My girls are only 2 and 4-years-old but they looked forward to their father reading them Charolette's Web before they fell asleep. It will also reaquaint you with your youth. ( )
  RakishaBPL | Sep 24, 2021 |
I have always loved classic children's literature and have read much of it. I especially love the classics that have animals in them. This particular book is one of my favorites and I think it is equally good when you read it as an adult or as a child. The characters are engaging and realistic and the story draws you in. It is a book I enjoy re-reading. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
I knew this story from my childhood but only as a film. So I decided to read it this time.

Although it's a book for children, I truly enjoyed the story. It was really fun to read about Wilbur's naivety, horrifying to read about Charlotte's eating habits, and pleasant to read about Wilbur's and Charlotte's friendship.

Now I want to watch the film again. And I am definitely going to read this book to my daughter when she is a little bit older. ( )
  Diana_Hryniuk | Aug 28, 2021 |

Streep, MerylNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wells, RosemaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

"Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

This is the tale of how a little girl named Fern, with the help of a friendly spider called Charlotte, saved her pig, Wilbur, from the usual fate of nice fat little pigs.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
In danger near Christmastime,
But one spider helps.
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

E B White's book CHARLOTTE’S WEB was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

4 2003

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,492,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible