Things I Can't Explain: A Clarissa Novel by…

Things I Can't Explain: A Clarissa Novel (edition 2015)

by Mitchell Kriegman (Author)

A complete reimagining of the 1990s television hit Clarissa Explains It All as 20-something Clarissa tries to navigate the unemployment line, mompreneurs, and the collision of two people in love. She was a smart, snappy, lighthearted girl who knew it all at 14 and let television audiences everywhere know it. Now a woman in her late 20s, her searching blue eyes are more serious but mostly amused by the people around her. The gap-toothed smile that made her seem younger than she really was is gone, but she still lightens up the room. Her unpredictable wardrobe rocks just like when she was a kid, but her fashion sense has evolved, and it makes men and women turn their heads. After leaving high school early, Clarissa interned at the Daily Post while attending night school. At the ripe old age of 22 she had it made - her own journalism beat (fashion, gender politics, and crime), an affordable apartment in FiDi, and a livable wage. She was so totally ahead of the game. Ah, those were the days All three of them. Remember the stock market crash of '08? Remember when people actually bought newspapers? All of Clarissa's charming obsessions, charts, graphs, and superstitions have survived into adulthood, but they've evolved into an ever-greater need to claw the world back under control. Her mid-20s crisis has left her with a whole set of things she can't explain: an ex-boyfriend turned stalker, her parents' divorce, a micro relationship with the cute coffee guy, java addiction, "To-Flue Glue," and then there's Sam. Where's Sam anyway? Things I Can't Explain is about knowing it all in your teens and then feeling like you know nothing in your 20s. It is an entertaining and must-listen sequel for all fans of Mitchell Kriegman's Nickelodeon TV show Clarissa Explains It All.… (more)

Clarissa was my style idol and an overall inspiration as a kid, growing up with Nickelodeon shows.
Anyone who loved this show has probably wondered where this character could be today.
So, that’s quite a task to tackle for a story.

First, allow a bit of a change to the story. Because this is Clarissa in the modern day but she’s only 26. I could accept that storyline as it gives us a chance to catch up with her as she’s trying to navigate adult life for the first real time.
I guess if we stuck with the real timeline, she’d probably be in her 40’s and married possibly with kids. You know what? I’d read that story too.

So, we get a chance to catch up with the characters.
We see Clarissa as a very intelligent adult with trouble finding a great job in NYC as a writer, there’s Ferguson who has let his own ambition lead him into trouble and there’s Clarissa’s parents who might be divorcing.

I thought the author did a pretty successful job of bringing Clarissa back to life. She’s still smart, strong, spunky, unique and she still loves fashion. I like how the author stayed true to Clarissa’s particular style, I could absolutely believe that adult Clarissa would be shopping at vintage stores.

Going into a story like this, with a character you love, you have certain expectations or hopes.
The big one? At least for me? Sam. For goodness sakes, either let them be together, let them have stayed the best of friends, or let them have dated but decided to stay friends.
Instead, they fell madly in love with each other and then, I guess, drifted apart in a way that provided zero closure. I’m sorry coffee guy love interest but Clarissa appears to still be in love with Sam.

On another note, her cat just disappeared?

Clearly this needs a sequel. If the author is reading this, how about a second book where Sam and Clarissa’s cat both return?
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
So I hadn't heard any buzz for this book but I happened across it at my library and was instantly sold when I saw that it was a "Clarissa Explains it All" novel for grown-ups. Like, how cool?!? The creator of the show (he also wrote for Ren and Stimpy, Rugrats, SNL, and National Lampoon) is also the author of the book which I really appreciated. He did a great job of growing Clarissa up and portraying her as an unemployed twenty-something girl in New York City. This book would appeal to 90's girls, fans of "new adult," and even teens. It's not plot heavy, it's very easy to see where the entire book is heading but it doesn't make it any less fun. There are fun drawings, charts, lists, and other elements to entice the reader. A good beach read; mindless but fun and quick. ( )
  ecataldi | Dec 23, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,546,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible