Making the Perfect Pitch: How To Catch a…

Making the Perfect Pitch: How To Catch a Literary Agent's Eye (edition 2004)

by Katharine Sands (Author)

Member:HobbyHorse33
Title:Making the Perfect Pitch: How To Catch a Literary Agent's Eye
Authors:Katharine Sands (Author)
Info:Watson-Guptill (2004), 288 pages

Making the Perfect Pitch: How To Catch a Literary Agent's Eye by Katharine Sands

MAKING THE PERFECT PITCH is a must-read for any writer seeking representation. Katharine Sands has assembled a collection of essays and interviews designed to give writers a clear idea of everything involved in the querying process. While most of the essays deal with querying fiction and nonfiction, there are also pieces that deal specifically with poetry and film work.

Sands has created an excellent resource, and I think she's done a good job of organizing the material to best advantage. She begins with agents whose essays are helpful and positive in tone. Their love of good writing shines through, and their advice is simple and straightforward. Most of them focus on what you should do instead of providing a list of turn-offs. By the time Sands trotted out the blunter, less positive agents, I felt confident enough to deal with their advice on how not to structure a query letter.

I did feel like nonfiction pitches received more attention than those for fiction, but I could be biased here. I write fiction, and have no intention of branching out into nonfiction. If I wrote nonfiction, I may very well have felt that the fiction stuff took up too much space.

Highly recommended.

(A slightly different version of this review originally appeared on my blog, Stella Matutina). ( )
  xicanti | Nov 26, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,491,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible