Dead Sea Games by J. Whitworth Hazzard

Dead Sea Games

by J. Whitworth Hazzard

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
7/30/18
A REVIEW OF:

Dead Sea Games: A Zombie Saga

by J. Whitworth Hazzard

Published by Umbra, an imprint of BHC Press, www.bhcpress.com

With humanity hanging by a thread, a “dead sea” of zombies flooding the city streets, and a teenage hero leading a group of orphans against a villain named Khan, this is a young adult novel for sure, but this 72 year old grandmother enjoyed it all the same.
Author J. Whitworth Hazzard has included plenty of blood and guts, some of them putrefied and hanging off the walking dead, and there is more than enough heavy duty fighting, swearing, and narrow escapes to satisfy anyone who is looking for a scary, grim, heroic quest with teenagers leading the way. Not to mention that it is so well written that readers will find themselves cheering for the main character every time he beats the odds, and he does a lot of that.
Jeremy, or “DW” (Deathwish) to his friends, is 15 going on 50, and knows way too much about disaster and death.
Written from Jeremy’s point of view, the story takes us into the mind of a young person who is trying to cope with an environment that is both deadly and chaotic. (Remember the word “Games” in the title?) The adults may be in charge, but they are not up to the challenges they face any more than their children. In fact, it may be that they are about to lose the final battle.
It is to the author’s credit that we are able to see the world as Jeremy sees it, with all the blind spots that go along with being young and vulnerable. It is also to his credit that while we are seeing terrible things, we are also watching a young hero become an adult.
The author, a scientist by training, also gives us an added gift, a woman scientist, who comes along to help Jeremy fight the bad guys. Some call her The Alchemist and believe that she is doing magic, but her knowledge proves invaluable to Jeremy.
I will add that the fight scenes are horrific, and the whole zombie ... uhm ... problem is graphically, and I do mean graphically, presented. Those dead people are really out to get us!
All in all, this is a great read. It drew me in, and kept me worried about Jeremy from start to finish, right along with his mother, a wonderful character in her own right, and everything a mother of Jeremy should be, including a crack shot with a rifle.

review by Wendolin ( )
  wendolin | Jul 30, 2018 |
Having already read the first three of these books (Adrift, Exiled, and Kidnapped), I couldn't wait to read the fourth and last in the series, Scorched, too. I wasn't disappointed as I followed Deathwish through a journey of torture, infection and near death, as he took on the Khan and fought for his life and that of the colony.

Written in first person from the 15 year old, main character's point of view, Scorched is a fast paced novel, which flows to it's conclusion with cliff hanger chapter endings, making it hard to put down. I didn't want it to end.

If you like fast paced, edgy writing, and are looking for a fresh take on the zombie apocalypse theme, one with a more realistic story line, this is for you. ( )
  purplequeennl | Jul 11, 2018 |
Great book. I didn't want to put it down, but life happens. I picked it up as often as I could and would read until life happened again. This is not just another zombie story. It happens to be a story with zombies. ( )
  ranson_larry | Jun 23, 2018 |
Average zombie thriller with a pretty strong main character. ( )
  bookwyrmm | May 25, 2018 |
This is a well-written book, packed with adventure and twists. I liked the main character and rooted for him throughout. It was really well-done and a nice twist on the zombie genre. ( )
  Benboo | Apr 14, 2018 |

One year after the Emergency, the island of Manhattan has become a prison. The survivors of the Colony have carved out a living a few stories above the sea of millions of shambling corpses. With no escape and no hope for the future, the teenagers entertain themselves by participating in brutal gladiatorial games, betting the only thing they have left – their lives. Jeremy Walters is among the best of the best, but his adrenalin-addicted recklessness has done more than earn him the nickname Deathwish; it’s gotten him noticed. Now the race is on to recruit Deathwish as opposing forces maneuver to take advantage of his zombie-killing gifts. If he somehow manages to navigate the maze of bribery, threats, extortion, and intimidation, and not get himself killed, he’ll still have to face every teenager’s greatest fear: an angry mother.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 16 Aug 2015 20:39:55 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

J. Whitworth Hazzard's book Dead Sea Games is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

J. Whitworth Hazzard is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,908,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible