Library of Souls: The Third Novel of Miss…

Library of Souls: The Third Novel of Miss Peregrine's Peculiar… (original 2015; edition 2017)

by Ransom Riggs (Author)

Time is running out for the Peculiar Children. With a dangerous madman on the loose and their beloved Miss Peregrine still in danger, Jacob Portman and Emma Bloom are forced to stage the most daring of rescue missions. They'll travel through a war-torn landscape, meet new allies, and face greater dangers than ever. Will Jacob come into his own as the hero his fellow Peculiars know him to be? (Features more than 50 all-new Peculiar photographs.)… (more)
Member:Erikapayne
Title:Library of Souls: The Third Novel of Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children
Authors:Ransom Riggs (Author)
Info:Quirk Books (2017), Edition: Illustrated, 464 pages

Work Information

Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs (2015)

English (119)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (123)
This was a relatively unsatisfying conclusion to the series. I felt like the plot didn't flow very well and the pictures really disrupted the narrative. They were gimmicky in the first book, but they worked. In this one, they seemed shoe-horned in almost like he created a series of vignettes based on the pictures and then wrote a connecting narrative. The drug subplot seemed unnecessary and the character interactions between Ms. Peregrine and her brothers fell very flat. ( )
  LeBleuUn | Nov 14, 2021 |
I like these books, but the old photo gimmick is getting old. ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |
Awesome, fast paced, mind boggling ending for the trilogy! A complete closure!

And here's my full review:
http://www.sholee.net/2017/09/mpov-library-of-souls-miss-peregrines.html ( )
  Sholee | Sep 9, 2021 |
Library of Souls concludes the story of Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children and wraps up the adventure.

I have enjoyed the series although I feel that the series went from being a very original and moving story into something more along the realm of a fantasy/thriller. My favorite is still the first volume. It was so original, the pictures were so bizarre, and I felt that it explored Jacob's reeling uncertainty and vulnerability at being wrenched out of his world and thrust into a dangerous and unfamiliar alternative world.
He is devastated by the separation from his parents and family and this loss tugs at him as he attempts to fulfill what appears to be his role in an epic struggle against evil. By the end of Library of Souls, he is superhero of sorts and his parents are reduced to clueless muggles.

That being said. I still really enjoyed the finale. The characters are lots of fun, the villains are dastardly, and Mr. Riggs' world building skills are as good as any other fantasy author that I can think of. You may like it better or less than the prior installments, as is your taste, but if you liked the series, you won't be disappointed by the finale. ( )
  ChrisMcCaffrey | Apr 6, 2021 |
3.25*
While I enjoyed this final installment of the Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children series, I think I waited too long in between books before reading them. It had been well over a year since I had read the second book, and needless to say there was quite a bit that I had forgotten in between. That's not at any fault of the book but it's pretty bad when I can't even remember how specific characters disappeared or died in the previous book. I think some of the novelty of this story wore off in the time it took to read the last two books, and it became obvious that the storyline was there simply to fit pictures into the plot. There were quite a few events that happened that felt way too convenient, and there were a few times in the book that things didn't make sense. For example, at one point in the story it was stated that Caul's gun was out of bullets but then it never discussed him reloading his gun and in the next scene he shot someone using the same gun. Overall, I like the premise of the story that there are peculiar people who have abilities beyond the real world, however, the novelty of the antique pictures started to wear off after the first book, and it became incredibly obvious and slightly annoying as the storyline progressed that the plot was created to fit the odd pictures into the story. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |

Riggs, Ransomprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The ends of the earth, the depths of
the sea, the darkness of time,
you have chosen all three.

--E. M. Forster
For my mother
The monster stood not a tongue's length away, eyes fixed on our throats, shriveled brain crowded with fantasies of murder.

Peculiardom
is in danger. Will Jacob
and his friends survive?
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,559,981 books! | Top bar: Always visible