Playing with Fire by Tess Gerritsen

Playing with Fire (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Tess Gerritsen (Author)

Member:Scarlet-Aingeal
Title:Playing with Fire
Authors:Tess Gerritsen (Author)
Info:Transworld Digital (2015), 273 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Read in 2016, Mystery, NetGalley, Thriller
Rating:**
Tags:Mystery, Thriller

Playing With Fire by Tess Gerritsen (2015)

English (76)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All (79)
In the words of another reviewer, pure indulgence. Definitely riveting, if a little fantastical. Thanks to LibraryThing Early Reviewers... ( )
  tulikangaroo | Feb 26, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thank you to Librarything for a copy of this book from their giveaway program. Tess GerritSen is always a good read and she does not disappoint with this book.I love historical fiction and a mystery and this book delivers both of these genres. This book takes place both in Italy and the United States. It also takes place in present day and during World War II. The story revolves around a piece of music that was bought in an antique store in Rome. This is not atypical Tess Gerrit Sen novel but as a masterful storyteller it works quite well and kept me turning the pages! ( )
  teeth | Feb 25, 2017 |
I was hooked from the first page and read this in one day. I’ve long been a fan of Ms Gerritsen’s Rizzoli and Isles series but this is a departure from those books. Gerritsen is a woman of many talents: physician, author, and she can now add composer onto her list of accomplishments. In her newly released stand-alone novel, Playing With Fire, the story revolves around a musical piece, Incendio, which was written by Gerritsen herself.

She was halfway through writing this novel when the music came to her in a dream. It took her 6 weeks to finish the composition, and you can hear it here on her website, performed by renowned violinist Yi-Jia Susanne Hou: http://www.tessgerritsen.com/incendio-the-story-behind-the-music/

In this book, Julia, a violinist, picks up an obscure piece of music in an antique shop while on a trip to Italy. Once she’s back home, her 3 year old daughter inexplicably goes berserk and commits violent acts whenever she hears her mother play the hauntingly beautiful music. Both her doctor and her husband express doubts and Julia’s sanity is called into question. Julia then goes on a quest to discover the origin of the music and finds herself in danger, both at home and abroad.

The narrative alternates between the present and 1940s Italy. Flashbacks to the past gives us insight into the heartbreaking history of the composition. We learn about Lorenzo, a Jewish musician from Italy who joins with Laura in a musical competition. They develop feelings for one another but his Jewish heritage stands in their way. You might imagine where the story is going but I won’t say more for fear of spoilers. However, I will say that I loved the historical aspect and learning about the Risiera di San Sabbo. Sometimes I think I’ve read too many books set during WWII but then another comes along that surprises me and proves me wrong. There's always something to learn about this time in history that I didn't know.

This was a mixture of psychological suspense and historical fiction that was compelling, beautiful, and heartbreaking. I didn’t find the resolution to Julia’s story entirely satisfying but it’s Lorenzo’s story that will stay with me.

**thanks to Netgalley and Random House Ballantine for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Playing with Fire is a hard one for me to rate. I was initially enjoying Julia's story but then it switched to Lorenzo's and although Lorenzo's story was as enjoyable as Julia's, they didn't come across as being linked to each other very much at all. I'm not a huge fan of dual story-lines, they have to be done extremely well for me to enjoy them, in this case they were each enjoyable on their own but felt like completely separate stories rather than two related timelines.

The ending felt rushed and implausible, quite frankly I felt Julia's conclusion was a bit of a let down. I was really hoping the two different timelines would come together a lot better than they did in the end but they remained as distant then as they were throughout the whole book.

I'm dithering between the two and three stars. Usually I love Tess Gerritsen books but this one didn't work for me in it's entirety. As a result I'm going for the two stars because of how separate the story-lines felt to each other, they just didn't mesh well at all in the end for me. ( )
  Scarlet-Aingeal | Dec 9, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A violinist finds an old piece of music and when she plays it, and becomes obsessed with it, it seems to have a bad influence on her young daughter. My rating of one star is simply because I could not finish it because of the storyline with the child. Simply my personal preference not to read. (Sorry!) ( )
  mmplante | Dec 6, 2016 |
A suspenseful thriller about mysterious music and a violinist's fear of her child....Clear your schedule for this one—you won’t want to put it down until you’re finished.
added by mysterymax | editKirkus Reviews (Jul 28, 2015)

Is abridged in

De geur van oude boeken, dat specifieke aroma van broze pagina's en versleten leer, komt me tegemoet zodra ik over de drempel stap.
Als korte thriller eerder verschenen onder de naam Incendio. Dit verhaal is een thriller gebaseerd op dat verhaal.

294 wanted3 pay8 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Playing with Fire by Tess Gerritsen was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,866,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible