Playing with Fire by Tess Gerritsen

Playing with Fire (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Tess Gerritsen (Author)

Member:Scarlet-Aingeal
Title:Playing with Fire
Authors:Tess Gerritsen (Author)
Info:Transworld Digital (2015), 273 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Read in 2016, Mystery, NetGalley, Thriller
Rating:**
Tags:Mystery, Thriller

Playing With Fire by Tess Gerritsen (2015)

English (78)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All (81)
After listening to Playing with Fire by Tess Gerritsen, I wanted to share it with everyone. The beautiful violin music binds the story together and gives it deep. Starting out with a gentle waltz and ending in a sort of dark panic. There are two stories that come together because of the written score of this music.

Lorenzo, a Jewish violinist in the 1940s in Italy falls in love with Laura, a cellist who was beautiful but badly burned by tipping over something on the stove by accident. Laura is not Jewish and is naive about the dangers of being a Jew in that time but she loved Lorenzo with all her heart.

Flipping forward in time, Julia, a violinist is shopping in Italy for a memento of her trip. She finds an old book of music and a handwritten score on a separate page falls out when she examines a book. She purchases and decides to master it. After she returns to United States, she begins to feel that the music is cursed because of what happens when she plays it.

So, this is music, mystery, historical fiction and a love story all in one tale. The music is what made this story so much richer and meaningful.

I hope that you listen go the audio version of this book. ( )
  Carolee888 | Jun 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As usual, Tess Gerritsen doesn't fail to engage the reader and suck them into the world created in her pages. I liked the way she formed the characters and detailed their backgrounds. However, I felt that the book seemed cut short. As if she decided to just wrap up the book and left a lot of open ended questions. While the book had a lot of promise in the beginning, I felt it ended too abruptly. ( )
  Rhea1023 | May 30, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In the words of another reviewer, pure indulgence. Definitely riveting, if a little fantastical. Thanks to LibraryThing Early Reviewers... ( )
  tulikangaroo | Feb 26, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thank you to Librarything for a copy of this book from their giveaway program. Tess GerritSen is always a good read and she does not disappoint with this book.I love historical fiction and a mystery and this book delivers both of these genres. This book takes place both in Italy and the United States. It also takes place in present day and during World War II. The story revolves around a piece of music that was bought in an antique store in Rome. This is not atypical Tess Gerrit Sen novel but as a masterful storyteller it works quite well and kept me turning the pages! ( )
  teeth | Feb 25, 2017 |
I was hooked from the first page and read this in one day. I’ve long been a fan of Ms Gerritsen’s Rizzoli and Isles series but this is a departure from those books. Gerritsen is a woman of many talents: physician, author, and she can now add composer onto her list of accomplishments. In her newly released stand-alone novel, Playing With Fire, the story revolves around a musical piece, Incendio, which was written by Gerritsen herself.

She was halfway through writing this novel when the music came to her in a dream. It took her 6 weeks to finish the composition, and you can hear it here on her website, performed by renowned violinist Yi-Jia Susanne Hou: http://www.tessgerritsen.com/incendio-the-story-behind-the-music/

In this book, Julia, a violinist, picks up an obscure piece of music in an antique shop while on a trip to Italy. Once she’s back home, her 3 year old daughter inexplicably goes berserk and commits violent acts whenever she hears her mother play the hauntingly beautiful music. Both her doctor and her husband express doubts and Julia’s sanity is called into question. Julia then goes on a quest to discover the origin of the music and finds herself in danger, both at home and abroad.

The narrative alternates between the present and 1940s Italy. Flashbacks to the past gives us insight into the heartbreaking history of the composition. We learn about Lorenzo, a Jewish musician from Italy who joins with Laura in a musical competition. They develop feelings for one another but his Jewish heritage stands in their way. You might imagine where the story is going but I won’t say more for fear of spoilers. However, I will say that I loved the historical aspect and learning about the Risiera di San Sabbo. Sometimes I think I’ve read too many books set during WWII but then another comes along that surprises me and proves me wrong. There's always something to learn about this time in history that I didn't know.

This was a mixture of psychological suspense and historical fiction that was compelling, beautiful, and heartbreaking. I didn’t find the resolution to Julia’s story entirely satisfying but it’s Lorenzo’s story that will stay with me.

**thanks to Netgalley and Random House Ballantine for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
A suspenseful thriller about mysterious music and a violinist's fear of her child....Clear your schedule for this one—you won’t want to put it down until you’re finished.
added by mysterymax | editKirkus Reviews (Jul 28, 2015)

Is abridged in

De geur van oude boeken, dat specifieke aroma van broze pagina's en versleten leer, komt me tegemoet zodra ik over de drempel stap.
Als korte thriller eerder verschenen onder de naam Incendio. Dit verhaal is een thriller gebaseerd op dat verhaal.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Tess Gerritsen's book Playing with Fire is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Tess Gerritsen's book Playing with Fire was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,325,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible