Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by…

Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear

by Elizabeth Gilbert

9204113,668 (3.95)23
Recently added byKylana, mlouer, saturdaylaunderama, private library, loftuskm89, AlliLea, ChelseyW5, resonare, elrelaka

believe this book may have supplanted my all-time favourite non-fiction book, which has held the position for 30 years: The Power of Myth, by Joseph Campbell. There is hardly a page that doesn't hold something marvellous: simple but profound wisdom, delightful turns of phrase, hard-nosed reality, and a myriad of enchantments. BUT - this is key - the entire book is filled with joy, sunlight, and nothing that isn't positive. No, it's not exactly a "self-help" book. It's a spiritual flight through magical realms of The Good. Entirely focused on enlightening and encouraging the process of human creativity.
A great antidote to the confusion & darkness that are increasingly devastating obsessive viewers of the facts/horrors being unearthed daily by CSNBC. ( )
  c_why | Jun 17, 2018 |
I am tossing about whether to give the book three stars, or four.

3.5 is what I would possibly give

On the whole, it is a good book, with lots of practical wisdom packed inside. It took me going through one third of the book before it started to appeal to me.

There are times when I wonder if she is for real, and at other times, I stumble upon something very helpful

For me, there is this unevenness about the book, which made it a bit of a challenging read.

Yet, there is enough in it for me to say that this is a good book. ( )
  RajivC | Jun 1, 2018 |
Let me just say right up front that I love reading Elizabeth Gilbert's books. She always seems to pour her heart out. She makes me feel unjudged and that is big magic. She always lets you know that it's okay to be you and to settle in and get comfortable with being you. This book is no exception. Lots of great thoughts to take away from it. And bonus if you listen because her voice gives the words a turbo shot of sincerity. ( )
  whybehave2002 | May 11, 2018 |
“Most of all, be ready. Keep your eyes open. Listen. Follow your curiosity. Ask questions. Sniff around. Remain open. Trust in the miraculous truth that new and marvelous ideas are looking for human collaborators every single day. Ideas of every kind are constantly galloping toward us, constantly passing through us, constantly trying to get our attention.
Let them know you’re available.
And for heaven’s sake, try not to miss the next one.” ( )
  kialynne | Apr 7, 2018 |
  dd196406 | Apr 2, 2018 |

Elizabeth Gilbertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wiberg, Carlasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time there was a man named Jack Gilbert, who was not related to me - unfortunately for me.

"Coming September 22nd From the worldwide bestselling author of Eat Pray Love: the path to the vibrant, fulfilling life you've dreamed of. Readers of all ages and walks of life have drawn inspiration and empowerment from Elizabeth Gilbert's books for years. Now this beloved author digs deep into her own generative process to share her wisdom and unique perspective about creativity. With profound empathy and radiant generosity, she offers potent insights into the mysterious nature of inspiration. She asks us to embrace our curiosity and let go of needless suffering. She shows us how to tackle what we most love, and how to face down what we most fear. She discusses the attitudes, approaches, and habits we need in order to live our most creative lives. Balancing between soulful spirituality and cheerful pragmatism, Gilbert encourages us to uncover the "strange jewels" that are hidden within each of us. Whether we are looking to write a book, make art, find new ways to address challenges in our work, embark on a dream long deferred, or simply infuse our everyday lives with more mindfulness and passion, Big Magic cracks open a world of wonder and joy"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,013,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible