dismiss

Searching for Sunday by Rachel Held Evans

Searching for Sunday (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Rachel Held Evans (Author)

"For a generation that has largely said, "count me out," church represents a complicated relationship of both longing and apathy. There's a history there- a past full of confusion and hurt, but a past that often is impossible to abandon. In Searching for Sunday, Rachel Evans exposes her own thorny relationship with the church, articulating the concerns, frustration, and hopes of many of her peers."-- back cover… (more)
Member:bookworm12
Title:Searching for Sunday
Authors:Rachel Held Evans (Author)
Info:Nelson Books (2015), 288 pages
Tags:read, nonfiction, 2020, June 2020

Searching for Sunday: Loving, Leaving, and Finding the Church by Rachel Held Evans (2015)

Evans is brutally honest about her struggles in her faith. She wrestles with the strong belief she had as a youth taking a hit as she questions the exclusive and sometimes abusive aspects of some churches. She talks about changing churches, starting one, speaking at Christian conferences, and finding that faith is less about religion and more about finding a home with God because the Holy Spirit is within you, not within the church walls.

“But the gospel doesn’t need a coalition devoted to keeping the wrong people out. It needs a family of sinners, saved by grace, committed to tearing down the walls, throwing open the doors, and shouting, “Welcome! There’s bread and wine. Come eat with us and talk.” This isn’t a kingdom for the worthy; it’s a kingdom for the hungry.”

“I’ve been convinced that LGBT Christians have a special role to play in teaching the church how to be Christian.” ( )
  bookworm12 | Jun 30, 2020 |
When I saw this book recommended on Amazon a few months back, I knew I had to have it. And I'm glad that I spent the money on it because it was worth every penny.

Searching For Sunday is targeted towards everyone who has ever struggled or are still struggling to find a place to fit in. It targets specifically millenials, since so many of us have already walked away from the church or are in the process of walking away.

I really recommend reading this, either to gain insight into the reasons we are leaving, or to find comfort in the search for a faith of your own. ( )
  Booksunknown23 | May 18, 2020 |
Missing someone you’ve never met is really hard when they put your thoughts and feelings into words. ( )
1 vote rachelreading | Apr 20, 2020 |
Rachel and I aren’t always very similar, although I’m not going to put my tortured attempts to describe and contrast us in the review proper. (I really can’t describe it well.) All I’ll say is that from reading this book and my own experiences and from the general observation of surroundings and things that happen in our own lifetimes and such, I would say that I think that most Millennials go through a phase of passionately hating the church, even if they eventually return to it. (And with some exceptions, it’s probably indifference rather than passionate hatred that is a better indicator of long-term alienation. But even people who have a controlled affect probably go through periods of passionate distaste.) The form of this rejection should not be assumed to be the same or even that similar in all individuals.
  smallself | Dec 17, 2019 |
This one really spoke to me. So sad that she is gone, would have enjoyed seeing where her journey took her and her readers alike. ( )
  rlsova | Oct 29, 2019 |
To Amanda—the little sister I look up to and the person who makes me most hopeful about the future of the church.

And to the community of the blog—I wrote every word of the book for you.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,652,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible