Nobody's Goddess (The Never Veil) by…

Nobody's Goddess (The Never Veil) (edition 2015)

by Amy McNulty (Author)

Seventeen-year-old Noll is determined to break an ancient spell that dictates how young women and men choose each other as partners for life.
Member:jenny_acc
Title:Nobody's Goddess (The Never Veil)
Authors:Amy McNulty (Author)
Info:Month9Books, LLC (2015), 250 pages
Rating:*****

Nobody's Goddess (The Never Veil) by Amy McNulty

I got this from Library Thing, I think last year but has been unable to read it until now. This story has paranormal, romance and time travel thrown into the mix. Until now, I am still unsure if I like the story but it was interesting.

I think what caught me with this is the title. Yes, what's a "Nobody's Goddess"? Satisfyingly, that question was answered in the story.

Of course, judging by the title--goddess, the protagonist of the story is a girl--Noll. A young woman or a seventeen-year old whose love is unrequited. What's more painful is the person she loves and wants to be with is in love with her sister. Her best friend in the world is in love with her more-attractive-yet-lacking-in-personality sister. What a sad and cruel world!

In a world where women dominates and men have to wear a mask their whole life if his love or wife does not return his love. Or if the woman does refuse the man's love, the man is bound to find himself banished in the commune to live a life of poor distaste, grief and shame. Noll, wanting to find out who started this whole thing about a man loving and worshipping only one woman in his entire life, sought out the Master in the castle. And that, later on lead her to an incredible experience in a time way far back from her own. What she found was the reason why women were treated as goddesses and who was the person responsible for it--the first goddess. And realizing the root of her problem was like a sharp slap to her face which stung a lot.

This is a sad tale. Finding out that the one you love does not love you back is painful but chooses to spend forever with your sister is adding salt to the already gaping wound. Then, finding out the person responsible for that sad reality is even more devastating. But the redeeming quality of the story is Noll's realization that she actually could do something to change things and give some men a choice to find someone else to love and not die in grief, when that other person does not return the love. It comes full circle and whatever mistakes or misdeeds done in the past will be better in the future. Oh, I would give anything to be able to do something like that. To change the present or the future by going back to some time in the past. Honestly, I don't have regrets. I can't take back or undo whatever happened in my life but there are times I wish my life was way better than it is now. Or the lot I was given in life, like what if my family were rich and I was not bullied or was an easy target for some people's rudeness. I am not sure if these would make my life a lot better but sometimes you just wish that you were someone else or some place else or circumstances were different. I do live a different life in my imaginings. At least, that is a lot safer, no collateral or irreversible damages.

I give this book 3/5 swords. The story is interesting and a very well-thought out plot but I was not so drawn into it. I am not sure if I liked Noll but she definitely has a very spirited and spunky personality which is very admirable. And I do feel sorry for her that her best friend is not in love with her. I do feel her but in some way, there is a part where I cannot totally relate to her. I do like her real name, Oliviere. It does slide off the tongue beautifully. I can't blame the Master wanting to call her by that name. It's a very unique name because it sounds like a name of a boy and a girl given that name is very cool. I wish my name is as cool as that.

I could live without love . I'd accepted that by now. I wasn't sure I could live without freedom.
- Amy McNulty, Nobody's Goddess -

Thank you again Librarything and Amy McNulty for the copy. ( )
  iamnotabookworm | Oct 2, 2017 |
recieved this ebook in exchange for a honest review.
Summary:
Imagine a world where males wear masks until they fall in love with their Goddess and the mask can come off if the love is returned. Also where the females (Goddesses) have a commanding control over the males and can make them do anything. Unfortunately if the love is not returned males are doomed to the commune or worse. This is the world Noll and her family live in. But what if another world a better world could exist, which would you choose? Noll will not stop until freedom of choice is allowed for both sexes.
Characters:
Noll(Olivere), strong, stubborn, believes in questioning everything.
Jurij, Noll's friend and looking for his Goddess
Elfriede, Noll's sister, she does not understand Noll
Alvida, A wood craver, Jurij's Aunt
Ailill, a young boy who will play a very important role in everyone's life
Quote:
Love. A curse that snatches friends away.
Final Thoughts:
A highly original fantasy story. Once I figured it out I actually quite enjoyed it. I liked the character of Noll and her need to question everything and believes in sticking to her instincts. Nobody has the right to command or control anybody else. ( )
  chevyt03171981 | Feb 17, 2017 |
Great read! I love the plot and characters.

-Given for an honest review. ( )
  LysaJP | Jan 11, 2017 |
An interesting read. A curse from a goddess, one angry from the mistreatment of women and the callousness of men. A young woman, angered by the rules of her home, a goddess in the making but wishing otherwise. A man who has lived hundreds of lives, torn by what he has seen and what he must do to survive. This village of men's masked faces and women's right to choose.

I truest didn't know what to expect from this book but it was quite interesting and drew me in from the beginning. Love that seems imprinted and forced as being normal was strange but after reading about what happened in the past, understandable. Although it didn't make it any less strange to read. None-the-less I enjoyed reading about a strong heroine in, Noll. Although I have to admit her self pity was hard to take at times.

I do have to mention there was some time travel in this story. Something I don't normally like although in this instance it was rather fitting. I also should mention there are many time gaps that felt a tad overlong but didn't detract from the storyline. I understood why they were there, they just felt overly exaggerated. Other than that I couldn't find any fault with the story. ( )
  mariahsidhe | Jan 3, 2017 |
loved it.i couldn't stop reading, so i finished it all in one day.great story. ( )
  jenny_acc | Dec 6, 2016 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Amy McNulty's book Nobody's Goddess was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Amy McNulty is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Month9Books

An edition of this book was published by Month9Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,389,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible