dismiss

Signs Point to Yes

by Sandy Hall

Series: Swoon Reads

"A girl in search of a goal and a boy in search of his father accidentally fall in love"--

Very cute! ( )
  mmalyn | Feb 24, 2018 |
This review was originally posted on Bookish Things & MoreExcerpt
“I know you’re not going to understand this, but I’m really going to miss him.”
Jane looked over at Teo, shocked. “Of course I get it. My best friends are off at sleepaway band camp for the summer, where there’s no cell service and the Wi-Fi signal is on serious lockdown, while I spend my days regretting that I quit playing the glockenspiel in fifth grade.”
“So you do get it,” Teo said.
“At least we have each other,” Jane said, taking a calculated risk.
It paid off when Teo smiled so broadly his dimple made an appearance.
Jane sat on her hands so she wouldn’t push her finger into it—that was how adorable his dimple was. She could barely resist the urge to touch it.
“So did you save me any cookies?” Teo asked, gesturing to the empty plate in front of her.
“No,” Jane said seriously. “But I did hear that your mom made you a plate of leftovers and put it in the fridge.”
“My fridge?”
“That’s the rumor.”
“Want to come watch me eat?”
“Only if I can bring more cookies.”
“What about brownies?” Teo asked, looking over at the dessert table. “Or maybe that apple pie no one has even touched yet.”
“It’s hard to say no to pie,” Jane said.
They stood up and walked over to take the pie.
“Wait,” Teo said, grabbing Jane’s arm. “Is there ice cream available for the pie?”
“I don’t think so. Ice cream doesn’t really go with this amount of heat,” Jane said.
“Ah, take the pie anyway. I think we have ice cream at my house.”
Jane grabbed the pie, and Teo walked in front of her like a bodyguard until they were around the corner and safely inside his house.
He held up his hand to high-five Jane, but she got so flustered she fist-bumped it.
“That’s an interesting option.” Teo looked at his hand where Jane had basically just punched him.
“I hate myself sometimes,” she said.
“Do over?” Teo offered.
“Do over.” Jane held up her hand, and this time Teo fist-bumped her palm.
“Thanks for that,” she said.
He winked dramatically and then went to rummage in the fridge.

Giveaway
(1) paperback copy of Signs Point to Yes. Open to US addresses only
a Rafflecopter giveaway

For more information visit Swoon Reads!
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
Jane's been overshadowed by 'perfect' older sister Margo all her life. Her mother never listens and it seems like her dad takes the easy path by not supporting her ever more frustrating attempts to be heard. She isn't sure going to college is the best path to take, but her college professor mother insists it's the only way to go, even to signing her up for an unpaid summer internship that Jane knows will be boring and uninspiring.
Desperate for an alternative, she answers an ad looking for a babysitter. When it turns out to be for her mom's good friend Connie who is also mother to Teo, the boy she's been crushing on for ages, it's both scary and exhilarating. She gets the job, watching Teo's three stepsisters. It comes with mixed benefits. The pay is good, the girls are easy to handle (most of the time) and Teo is great eye candy, but his best friend Ravi is included. He's been ultra-mean to Jane for a long time with no explanation.
Teo has his own baggage. He's never known his real dad and has issues with Buck, his stepfather. He's made a series of halfhearted attempts to search for his dad online with no success. Ravi takes an unexpected trip overseas to accompany his mother when his grandmother becomes ill, leaving Teo feeling like there's no one to confide in. Suddenly Jane is more than the girl babysitting his step-sisters. As they become more comfortable talking, it's obvious to everyone but them, how strong their attraction is. What happens with that, as well as the dilemma Margo is wrestling with and why Ravi has been on Jane's case all this time, make for a fun read with some unexpected surprises.
Sandy's first book, A Little Something Different was a great debut and I was concerned there might be a letdown here, but this book is just as much fun to read. Teens who like romance, identify with parents who don't listen to teen concerns, or who have step-sibling issues will relate well to the characters. A good addition to both school and public library collections. ( )
  sennebec | Mar 2, 2016 |
Sandy Halls writes a fantastic, adorable YA romance! Her characters are unique, fun, and relatable. I love the Doctor Who references and the feminist overtones. The best part, though, is seeing how much the author has grown since her first book, "A Little Something Different," which came out a little over a year ago. That one was good, but the writing is so much more developed this time around, and it was exciting to see her advance in her craft. I can't wait to see what she does with her next book! ( )
  CaptainAllison | Nov 10, 2015 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,214,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible