The Shores of Spain: A Novel of the Golden City (2015)

by J. Kathleen Cheney

Series: The Golden City (3)

193922,522 (4)13
The third dazzling novel in the Golden City series. Even as the branches of peace are being offered, there are some who still believe those who are not human should be used as chattel. And they are willing to go to great lengths to retain their power.

Setting aside about 60-odd pages in. I'm just not feeling it. This series has always been an interesting magical alterni-history, set in an interesting time and place, but rather slow and measured (all the better for the historical feel). This one is rather too slow and measured, not sinking its hooks into me.
  cupiscent | Aug 3, 2019 |
The Shores of Spain is the final book of the Golden City trilogy and marks a return to the high quality of the first volume. Oriana and Duilio are hard at work trying to re-open ties with the Sereian government, so when a new series of problems emerge he has to call upon his favorite relative for help. When the evidence sends Joaquim to Spain, things spin out of control very quickly, but as a police inspector he is not one to be easily daunted. Soon facts emerge both in Spain and the Sereian islands that explain quite a few events of Oriana's past and reveal a web of lies and intrigue far beyond what anyone ever imagined.

A wonderful conclusion to one of my favorite series, it manages to wrap things up without tying things up in a too perfect bow. I did feel that there was too much Joaquin and Company towards the end. I no longer think his beloved is too stupid to live like I did in the second book, but they're really not my favorite people and I would have preferred more of Oriana and Duilio's story. I was also rather sad there were no scenes between Oriana and her father, because I felt their relationship wasn't quite sorted out at the end of The Seat of Magic. But other than that, it's a fantastic read and everyone who enjoyed The Golden City should definitely seek it out. ( )
  inge87 | Jul 24, 2015 |
I received this advanced copy of the book from the author. One of the cool things about being a writer is that I get to experience the writing process my friends' endure, too. I first read The Shores of Spain as a rough draft, and it was delightful to read it again now, fully polished and ready for publication by Roc in July.

This third book of The Tales of the Golden City twines together the vast conspiracy that has rocked the Golden City and the islands of the sireia (sirens). Oriana is now an ambassador, attending to her new duties on her home islands along with her husband, Duilio. Her mother was murdered a decade ago and recent events have revealed new clues on the identity of her killer--and most importantly, why the deed was done. Meanwhile, Oriana's sister Marina emerges with her own point-of-view and a greater role as she assists in the investigation. I love how Cheney incorporates period details as her characters move between 1903 Portugal, the islands of the sireia, and Spain; even distant events like the Spanish-American war play small yet pivotal parts. At heart, this is well-researched historical fiction and a mystery, with a wonderful touch of magic and the fantastic. ( )
  ladycato | Apr 17, 2015 |

Belongs to Series

Marina Arenias curled up in one of the upholstered chairs in the front sitting room of the Ferreira home, the room in the house with the best light even now, past sunset.

J. Kathleen Cheney is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,414,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible