Baking with Less Sugar: Recipes for Desserts Using Natural Sweeteners and Little-to-No White Sugar

by Joanne Chang

Other authors: Joseph De Leo (Photographer)

Trust Joanne Chang-beloved author of the bestselling Flour and a Harvard math major to boot-to come up with this winning formula: minus the sugar = plus the flavor. The 60-plus recipes here are an eye-opener for anyone who loves to bake and wants to cut back on the sugar. Joanne warmly shares her secrets for playing up delicious ingredients and using natural sweeteners, such as honey, maple syrup, and fruit juice. In addition to entirely new go-to recipes, she's also revisited classics from Flour and her lines-out-the-door bakeries to feature minimal refined sugar. More than 40 mouthwatering photographs beautifully illustrate these revolutionary recipes, making this a must-have book for bakers of all skill levels.… (more)

I don't eat a lot of desserts as I prefer salty to sweet. When I do have sweet items I only eat a few bites as most are too sweet. Cupcakes are perfect, for example, as I prefer them to a whole slice of cake. There are a lot of recipes in here I would love. I'm not a baker so I'll probably never bake but they are for sure my kinds of desserts being less sugary. ( )
  WellReadSoutherner | Dec 25, 2022 |
Very good follow up cookbook from Joanne Chang, the owner of Flour Bakery + Cafe in Boston. All of then recipes are low or no sugar, using natural sweeteners such as honey, fruit, and chocolate. ( )
  kristanla67 | Jul 30, 2017 |
Tried the oatmeal-walnut-raisin-craisin cookies - they were good if you think of them more like breakfast bars than cookies. ( )
  JennyArch | Feb 27, 2017 |
Another excellent cookbook from Joanne Chang, which does something I didn't think possible -- rework some of her Flour bakery recipes into healthier but still tasty-sounding versions. As always, Chang's instructions are clear, her explanations of chemistry very educational (I had no idea sugar performed so many functions), and her anecdotes are entertaining. I haven't tried to do the recipes from her earlier books precisely because of the amount of sugar, butter, etc. required, but now that there are some lighter versions I have absolutely no excuse not to try them. ( )
  simchaboston | Jun 23, 2015 |

Joanne Changprimary authorall editionscalculated
De Leo, JosephPhotographersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,374,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible