Modern romance by Aziz Ansari

Modern romance (edition 2015)

by Aziz Ansari, Eric Klinenberg (Author.)

Member:ryner
Title:Modern romance
Authors:Aziz Ansari
Other authors:Eric Klinenberg (Author.)
Info:New York : Penguin Press, 2015.
Tags:2016, non-fiction, sociology, technology, romance

Modern Romance: An Investigation by Aziz Ansari

English (47)  Piratical (1)  All (48)
I get weekly (and from some, daily) emails from a few sources with book suggestions. I know I'll never...repeat: never...be able to get to a fraction of them, so my criteria are often nebulous and variable when it comes to choosing what I read, sometimes distilling down to something as simple as "Okay, I'm curious". In this case, the email suggesting this book offered a line from the book, which I thought was fun and piqued that curiosity. I understand that Ansari is a comedian, and if that statement isn't clue enough, I disclose that I've never heard of him. Amazon says the book is "thoughtful, deep, and outright hilarious."

Sadly...no, no, and...no. People keep using that word "hilarious". I do not think it means what they think it means. Perhaps it is neither thoughtful nor deep to me because I have no need for this story. Regardless, hilarity and subject matter can be mutually exclusive. Now, lest one think I am overly harsh, there is humor. There actually is quite a bit of it nestled amidst the statistics. Some of the humor is even funny. It's just not "hilarious". What the book is, though, is a reasonably researched analysis of modern relationships...I hesitate at the term "romance", even if the authors use it.

It's a good thing I have no need for the information in this story.

Oh...right...the line...
"“Like most fedora wearers, he had a lot of inexplicable confidence.”

Best line in the book. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
I forget why this book was on my list. Probably someone liked it a lot here on LibraryThing. :) When I first started listening to the book I thought it was going to be fantastic due to how hard I was laughing five minutes into it. However, after a while (maybe about halfway through) the humor lost it's charm, and it soon became just slightly obnoxious. I think I also got to the point where I could personally relate less and less. The story is certainly interesting but it began to drag just slightly for me towards the end. All that being said, I think a lot of people could probably enjoy this book. I do recommend listening to it on audio if you do pick this book up. That was probably the best part of this book - Aziz himself reading this story and adding all kinds of asides. ( )
  Kassilem | May 8, 2017 |
This is a pretty fun book. I read it entirely for Aziz Ansari rather than the content, but the content was actually pretty interesting. Basically, he talks about how technology has changed the way people look for relationships these days, using a lot of research, interviews, and personal anecdotes. Really it just made me want to read more books by him, and also made me look forward to season two of Master of None, which is out next month. ( )
  kyuuketsukirui | Apr 21, 2017 |
Funny and insightful. very different from other comedians books at the moment. ( )
  Kenzer24123 | Mar 25, 2017 |
If you are not familiar with Aziz then check out "Park and Recreations" the great comedy with Amy Poehler. He was on it. He also has a tv show on Netflix called "Master of None" which works together with this book. This book is funny but it is also a serious exploration of dating etc. in the modern age. There was 2 years of research into this book and he really has great insights into the evolution of relationships. Technological change has made dating and choosing a life partner both easier and harder. As many studies show, too much choice is as bad or worse than too little. As someone who is older and missed the online dating scene I found this method a bit disconcerting. Too much non human communication seems to be a problem today. Bottom line is that Aziz Ansari does a good job of giving the big picture. This is a fun and easy read. ( )
  nivramkoorb | Feb 13, 2017 |

Aziz Ansariprimary authorall editionscalculated
Klinenberg, EricAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Oh, shit! Thanks for buying my book. That money is MINE. But I worked really hard on this, and I think you'll enjoy it.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,411,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible