Modern romance by Aziz Ansari

Modern romance (edition 2015)

by Aziz Ansari, Eric Klinenberg (Author.)

Member:ryner
Title:Modern romance
Authors:Aziz Ansari
Other authors:Eric Klinenberg (Author.)
Info:New York : Penguin Press, 2015.
Tags:2016, non-fiction, sociology, technology, romance

Modern Romance: An Investigation by Aziz Ansari

English (50)  Piratical (1)  All (51)
While this book makes many references to experts in the field, they are in large part interpreted through Ansari’s light-hearted (at times cutting) filter. So Modern Romance remains something best suited to those seeking light entertainment from their non-fiction rather than academic rigour. Read full review >> ( )
  BookloverBookReviews | Jul 12, 2017 |
Audio version for the win! Seriously, listening to Aziz Ansari read this book may have taken it from a three-star to a four-star rating for me. It’s entertaining for sure, but hearing the words delivered by Mr. Ansari made it all the better.

Mr. Ansari and Mr. Klinenberg take a look at how dating and marriage has changed in the last decade or so, with newer technology such as online dating, texting, and other social media methods of communicating. It’s an interesting read that goes beyond what I originally thought would be covered (essentially just courtship in the U.S.) to larger issues such as marriage and long-term relationships, infidelity, and relationships in other cities across the world.

I appreciate that the authors are upfront with the limitations of the book: it focuses primarily on middle-class relationships, and it is limited to (mostly) to the dynamics of heterosexual relationships. I’d really love it if they would embark on similar study and write follow-up books on LGBTQ relationships. Additionally, I appreciate that Mr. Ansari enlisted the assistance of a social scientist to formulate some surveys, studies and focus groups, instead of just sticking to some observational humor. This isn’t just a book filled with entertaining anecdotes; it has a heftier feel to me, if that makes sense.

My husband and I met on OK Cupid in early 2011, so I found myself nodding in agreement with a lot of what Mr. Ansari said. I was never a prolific dater, though, so I didn’t relate to some of the topics covered, but I still found them very interesting. Overall, I think that if you’re looking for a fairly quick listen (I think it was a little over six hours long) that will have you chuckling out loud, this is definitely worth checking out. ( )
  ASKelmore | Jul 9, 2017 |
Modern Romance is a modern style book: research backed non fiction, interleaved with humorous comments. The comedic aspect doesn't only make the book easier to read, but it also helps reinforce the point being presented. Similarly to what John Oliver does, Aziz Ansari re-formulates each idea in a slightly different and silly context, which helps you think, what is it exactly that he is re-formulating. So comedy is not just comedy. It is modern, effective communication. ( )
  automatthias | Jun 19, 2017 |
I get weekly (and from some, daily) emails from a few sources with book suggestions. I know I'll never...repeat: never...be able to get to a fraction of them, so my criteria are often nebulous and variable when it comes to choosing what I read, sometimes distilling down to something as simple as "Okay, I'm curious". In this case, the email suggesting this book offered a line from the book, which I thought was fun and piqued that curiosity. I understand that Ansari is a comedian, and if that statement isn't clue enough, I disclose that I've never heard of him. Amazon says the book is "thoughtful, deep, and outright hilarious."

Sadly...no, no, and...no. People keep using that word "hilarious". I do not think it means what they think it means. Perhaps it is neither thoughtful nor deep to me because I have no need for this story. Regardless, hilarity and subject matter can be mutually exclusive. Now, lest one think I am overly harsh, there is humor. There actually is quite a bit of it nestled amidst the statistics. Some of the humor is even funny. It's just not "hilarious". What the book is, though, is a reasonably researched analysis of modern relationships...I hesitate at the term "romance", even if the authors use it.

It's a good thing I have no need for the information in this story.

Oh...right...the line...
"“Like most fedora wearers, he had a lot of inexplicable confidence.”

Best line in the book. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
I forget why this book was on my list. Probably someone liked it a lot here on LibraryThing. :) When I first started listening to the book I thought it was going to be fantastic due to how hard I was laughing five minutes into it. However, after a while (maybe about halfway through) the humor lost it's charm, and it soon became just slightly obnoxious. I think I also got to the point where I could personally relate less and less. The story is certainly interesting but it began to drag just slightly for me towards the end. All that being said, I think a lot of people could probably enjoy this book. I do recommend listening to it on audio if you do pick this book up. That was probably the best part of this book - Aziz himself reading this story and adding all kinds of asides. ( )
  Kassilem | May 8, 2017 |

Aziz Ansariprimary authorall editionscalculated
Klinenberg, EricAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Oh, shit! Thanks for buying my book. That money is MINE. But I worked really hard on this, and I think you'll enjoy it. (Introduction)
Many of the frustrations experience by today's singles seem like problems unique to our time and technological setting: not hearing back on a text.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,245,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible