Modern romance by Aziz Ansari

Modern romance (edition 2015)

by Aziz Ansari, Eric Klinenberg (Author.)

Member:ryner
Title:Modern romance
Authors:Aziz Ansari
Other authors:Eric Klinenberg (Author.)
Info:New York : Penguin Press, 2015.
Tags:2016, non-fiction, sociology, technology, romance

Modern Romance: An Investigation by Aziz Ansari

English (42)  Piratical (1)  All (43)
I have to admit, when I pick up a book written by a "celebrity" I immediately and skeptically assume there's a ghostwriter. But although Aziz Ansari's co-author and research partner Eric Klinenberg is an NYU sociologist, I'm convinced Ansari actually did much of this very entertaining writing. The two spent two years conducting focus groups, researching and interviewing about individuals' and couples' use of modern and cutting-edge technology with respect to finding, maintaining and ending romantic relationships, and the results are at once unsurprising, intriguing and somewhat worrying. There are a number of laugh-out-loud passages -- recommended! ( )
  ryner | Jan 11, 2017 |
Such a unique way to look at dating culture circa 2012ish. Very Aziz. Interesting, informative, and helpful! ( )
  Karen.Helfrick | Dec 31, 2016 |
This book was wonderfully hilarious, incredibly interesting, and although it was non-fiction, it sparked a wide range of emotions in me. Aziz Ansari is such a funny comedian, and I loved his sense of humour in this book so much, that after I finished reading it, I watched hours of his stand up comedy. I love it! His personality jumped off the page and I laughed out loud multiple times. It was kind of embarrassing when I was reading it on the bus... but moving on...

Modern Romance talks about what it is to date and fall in love in the modern age. It covers all kinds of topics, such as comparing love and dating in the present day to fifty years ago. Although fifty years is not a long time, the change has been incredible due to the introduction of technology to our dating lives. In fact, one of the main focuses of this book is the impact of technology on dating and I was transfixed. I don't know why, but I found this whole topic incredibly interesting! As someone who didn't really date all that much before I found the guy I'm with now, I was fascinated by the modern dating world. Honestly I was in the middle of wishing I got to explore this world a little more, but ultimately I found myself being incredibly thankful that I've found my person, because this new world seems very scary! ๐Ÿ˜›

Even though I gave this book five teacups without hesitation, there was one tiny negative for me, but I know that it is entirely a personal hangup. Near the end of the book, Ansari starts researching and discussing open relationships. It made me kind of uncomfortable because I didn't like the idea of an open relationship at all! I couldn't knock any stars off the book for it because it is an aspect of modern romance and it is definitely worth an investigation. Plus it was interesting to read about people who enjoy or have experienced an open relationship. The fact that I wouldn't want one doesn't take anything away from this book or my opinion of the people who do agree to open relationships.

Now on to more parts that I loved! I really enjoyed reading about online dating, dating in different cultures, and the interviews with the older and younger generations. The interviews in the nursing home were hilarious to read, simply because of Ansari's account of interacting with the elders. Also, looking at early courting text messages between people made me nostalgic for my own, and I actually went through my early chat logs with my boyfriend. It made me very giddy ๐Ÿ˜Š

One of the major thought-provoking observations Ansari makes is the fact that the modern generation is so obsessed with finding the perfect person, that they often let awesome people slip through their fingertips. The older generation seemed to just marry the first person who came along, and they worked hard, fell in love, and developed strong friendships. With online dating and seeking perfection, we always have that thought in the back of our minds that there could be someone else, someone better, someone who doesn't leave dirty socks all over the apartment! It was so interesting to realize that slight imperfections could now become deal breakers because, due to online dating, we have a seemingly infinite amount of fish in the sea. As Ansari states, the bigger pool could be a contradictory downfall that seriously hinders us from finding "the one."

One aspect I would have liked to see explored a little bit more was long distance relationships. I (unfortunately) had to suffer a long distance relationship for six months, and I would have liked to see the research, or the impact of technology on those kinds of relationships. I could probably write my own book on that topic ๐Ÿ˜› Long distance sucks, and personally, I was eternally grateful for the technology at our fingertips to keep in touch. I would definitely like to read a book about the relationship dynamic and technological impacts of long distance relationships, although it might just drag up some bad memories!

So, needless to say I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend this book. It is the perfect combination of funny and informative, and it is definitely one of the best non-fiction books I've read. This will certainly be one of my favourite books of 2016! ( )
  ceecee83 | Dec 27, 2016 |
While those familiar with this subject won't find much that is earth-shattering in this account, Ansari's Modern Romance does offer a compelling, humorous presentation which would likely appeal to a wide audience. As young person navigating some of these dating experiences, this book is a great overview of what's going on in the big picture and how expectations are shifting. It certainly resonated with some of my own experiences. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Sep 20, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book about romance and dating in today's world. I haven't dated in many years so had no idea what today's young people are through with all the technology and many different expectations than I went through. I also enjoy Aziz as a comedian, so I thoroughly enjoyed this book! ( )
  TerriS | Sep 13, 2016 |

Aziz Ansariprimary authorall editionscalculated
Klinenberg, EricAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Oh, shit! Thanks for buying my book. That money is MINE. But I worked really hard on this, and I think you'll enjoy it.

235 wanted2 pay5 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,650,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible