Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari

Modern Romance (edition 2015)

by Aziz Ansari (Author), Eric Klinenberg (Author)

At some point, every one of us embarks on a journey to find love. We meet people, date, get into and out of relationships, all with the hope of finding someone with whom we share a deep connection. This seems standard now, but it's wildly different from what people did even just decades ago. Single people today have more romantic options than at any point in human history. With technology, our abilities to connect with and sort through these options are staggering. So why are so many people frustrated? Some of our problems are unique to our time: "Why did this guy just text me an emoji of a pizza?" "Should I go out with this girl even though she listed Combos as one of her favorite snack foods? Combos?!" "My girlfriend just got a message from some dude named Nathan. Who's Nathan? Did he just send her a photo of his penis? Should I check just to be sure?" But the transformation of our romantic lives can't be explained by technology alone. In a short period of time, the whole culture of finding love has changed dramatically. A few decades ago, people would find a decent person who lived in their neighborhood. Their families would meet and, after deciding neither party seemed like a murderer, they would get married and soon have a kid, all by the time they were twenty-four. Today, people marry later than ever and spend years of their lives on a quest to find the perfect person, a soul mate. For years, Aziz Ansari has been aiming his comic insight at modern romance, but for this book he decided he needed to take things to another level. He teamed up with NYU sociologist Eric Klinenberg and designed a massive research project, including hundreds of interviews and focus groups conducted everywhere from Tokyo to Buenos Aires to Wichita. They analyzed behavioral data and surveys and created their own online research forum on Reddit, which drew thousands of messages. They enlisted the world's leading social scientists, including Andrew Cherlin, Eli Finkel, Helen Fisher, Sheena Iyengar, Barry Schwartz, Sherry Turkle, and Robb Willer. The result is unlike any social science or humor book we've seen before.… (more)
Member:MegRT10
Title:Modern Romance
Authors:Aziz Ansari (Author)
Other authors:Eric Klinenberg (Author)
Info:Penguin Press (2015), Edition: 1, 288 pages
Rating:**

Modern Romance: An Investigation by Aziz Ansari

Recently added byprivate library, sid00, katethegreat44, ReneGuenon, bdgamer, jhavens12, thategrayson, livertalia

English (101)  Piratical (1)  All languages (102)
Very interesting overall, feels like it was a little longer than it should have been. Mostly the same as the TV show that he has out on Netflix, but good for listening while working. ( )
  jhavens12 | Sep 1, 2021 |
Very interesting! A fascinating and original sociological study punctuated with Ansari's signature comedic style. I learned so much about my own generation and how our technological advances have changed the way we communicate with each other, romantically and otherwise. In addition to being very informative and funny, I learned a lot about the best way to navigate the world of modern romance. ( )
  Chinesa72 | Jul 28, 2021 |
Listened to the author read it (and call me lazy several times for not reading it myself). More effort went into this book than your typical stand-up comedian book. I was hoping for more humor. ( )
  brett.sovereign | Jul 10, 2021 |
This book was not what I had expected. Full disclosure, I rarely read book descriptions before I choose a book. I assumed this would be a memoir about Ansari's dating life. I've been watching his Netflix show and think he is a funny guy so i thought this book might be similar. Instead, it was a sociological research study on modern dating with some historical data thrown in for perspective. It was fascinating because i have been doing genealogy research for the past 7 months pretty diligently every night and his research confirmed a few things i had suspected, like people did not go far to find spouses in previous generations. They almost never shopped more than a block away for a life partner. Nowadays though, everything has changed.

That all being said, there were several reasons why this fell 1 star short of 5 stars for me. Ansari did quite a bit of fat shaming. Wtf. Cruel and unnecessary. He also, like in his show, did not take the risk of violence to women very seriously in the dating process. It was briefly mentioned once and it felt more like a lead up to a punchline than anything. And last but not least, this is pure CIS hetero research as Ansari said LGBTQ relationships would need an entirely different book were he to address them. I'm not sure that was actually true for most of the stuff he studied. At the very least, I'm glad he gave an explanation for the focus on hetero couples but it's exhausting to continuously have a HUGE part of the population entirely cut out, especially in a study on "modern love". Sigh.

In conclusion, I laughed out loud enough times to make this book an escape from COVID reality as Ansari is very funny most of the time. I liked it WAY more than I thought I would. ( )
  Tosta | Jul 5, 2021 |
nonfiction (modern dating) / humor. [on e-audiobook]

I only got to the end of chapter 3, I think, before my borrowed nook malfunctioned, and some of the tracks that I did get to hear were partially garbled. But I did appreciate Aziz's humor, for the most part, and I did find it interesting--would recommend to any frustrated singles out there, as he's done actual research on the various apps and platforms available (and also provides some insight into the phenomenon of the "break-up" text and the "asking out" text message). ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |

Aziz Ansariprimary authorall editionscalculated
Klinenberg, EricAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Oh, shit! Thanks for buying my book. That money is MINE. But I worked really hard on this, and I think you'll enjoy it. (Introduction)
Many of the frustrations experience by today's singles seem like problems unique to our time and technological setting: not hearing back on a text.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,402,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible