Finding Winnie: The True Story of the…

Finding Winnie: The True Story of the World’s Most Famous Bear (2015)

by Lindsay Mattick

Other authors: Sophie Blackall (Illustrator)

This is a story about how Winnie the bear came to be. This book would be great to compare and contrast with A.A. Milne's "Winnie the Pooh" books. They can find and list connections between the two books. ( )
  KarenGarcia | Sep 19, 2018 |
Reading this book made me happy. Can't ask for more than that! ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
This is the story of a bear who was behind Winnie the Pooh by A. A. Milne. Winnie the Pooh was inspired by a real bear "Winnie" named after the city Winnipeg. She was bought by a soldier off of a trapper and became a part of the soldier's unit. Eventually, she found a safe home at the London Zoo, where a young boy named Christopher Robin found and befriended her. This journey is about the compassion for a wild animal, and the wonderful relationship between a child and an animal that has inspired so many others.
  maryganderson | Sep 16, 2018 |
The book finding Winnie is about how Winnie the Pooh became one of the most famous bears in the world. I think that this story is very good for kids because it teaches them to love animals and it also teaches them about history, In the book they had actual pictures of the soldiers and of Harry and Winnie and they also had pictures of Christopher Robin. The pictures were very cool to see because you can see how the illustrator took time in drawing the pictures because it looks very similar. ( )
  Nattamari | Aug 25, 2018 |
This is easily one of my favorite books that I have read to my class. The illustrations are beautiful, and the story of how Winnie the Pooh came to be is not only interesting, but very touching. I was unaware that it had a start as a true story. I highly recommend this book ( )
  iversonh | Jul 22, 2018 |
Right from the start I was intrigued by the book’s framing sequence. Here we have a bit of nonfiction for kids, and yet all throughout the book we’re hearing Cole interjecting his comments as his mother tells him this story. It’s a unique way of presenting what is already an interesting narrative in a particularly child-friendly manner. But why do it at all? What I kept coming back to as I read the book was how much it made the story feel like A.A. Milne’s. Anyone who has attempted to read the first Winnie-the-Pooh book to their small children will perhaps be a bit surprised by the extent to which Christopher Robin’s voice keeps popping up, adding his own color commentary to the proceedings. Cole’s voice does much the same thing, and once I realized that Mattick was playing off of Milne’s classic, other Winnie-the-Pooh callbacks caught my eye.

Lindsay Mattickprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blackall, SophieIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Cole. May this story always remind you of the impact one small, loving gesture can have. -LM
For my father, who has always loved Bears. -SB
"Could you tell me a story?" asked Cole.
Harry's hands were never cold, even in Winnipeg, where winters are so frosty that icicles grow on the insides of your nose. That was just the kind of doctor he was. [illustration of Harry in tweed patting the nose of a dapple-gray horse]
"There is something special about that Bear."
... his heart made up his mind.

Before Winnie-the-Pooh, there was a real bear named Winnie.

In 1914, Harry Colebourn, a veterinarian on his way to tend horses in World War I, followed his heart and rescued a baby bear. He named her Winnie, after his hometown of Winnipeg, and he took the bear to war.

Harry Colebourn's real-life great-granddaughter tells the true story of a remarkable friendship and an even more remarkable journey--from the fields of Canada to a convoy across the ocean to an army base in England...

And finally to the London Zoo, where Winnie made another new friend: a real boy named Christopher Robin.

Here is the remarkable true story of the bear who inspired Winnie-the-Pooh.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 04 Aug 2015 18:04:24 -0400)

A woman tells her young son the true story of how his great-great-grandfather, Captain Harry Colebourn, rescued and learned to love a bear cub in 1914 as he was on his way to take care of soldiers' horses during World War I, and the bear became the inspiration for A.A. Milne's Winnie-the-Pooh.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,994,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible