Visual Intelligence: Sharpen Your…

Visual Intelligence: Sharpen Your Perception, Change Your Life (edition 2016)

by Amy E. Herman (Author)

Member:TheCriticalTimes
Title:Visual Intelligence: Sharpen Your Perception, Change Your Life
Authors:Amy E. Herman (Author)
Info:Eamon Dolan/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (2016), 336 pages
Rating:***

Visual Intelligence: Sharpen Your Perception, Change Your Life by Amy E. Herman

Amy Herman teaches courses to various groups, including FBI agents, other law enforcement officials, and corporate executives, to teach them how to be more observant and aware of their surroundings. She does so primarily with exercises using art--looking at it, observing it, analyzing it. I read this not necessarily because I wanted to be more observant in my day-to-day life, but primarily to hone the skills looking at art that I am developing in my study of art history. This book shows how to look closely at art to train your skills of perception, to develop your "visual intelligence."

The book is divided into four parts. Part I is titled "How to Assess by Close Observation" (Assess)
Part II "Analyzing What You See" (Analyze)
Part III "Communicating What You See" (Articulate)
Part IV "Be Aware of Bias" (Adapt)

I enjoyed reading this book, and I enjoyed doing the exercises. I found my skills of perception were actually pretty good, although there is always room for improvement and patience is a virtue that's hard to sustain in this hurry-up world.

Recommended

4 stars ( )
1 vote arubabookwoman | Dec 28, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 054438105X, Hardcover)

How could looking at Monet’s water lily paintings help save your company millions? How can checking out people’s footwear foil a terrorist attack? How can your choice of adjective win an argument, calm your kid, or catch a thief?

In her celebrated seminar, The Art of Perception, art historian Amy Herman has trained experts from many fields how to perceive and communicate better. By showing people how to look closely at images, she helps them hone their “visual intelligence,” a set of skills we all possess but few of us know how to use properly. She has spent over a decade teaching doctors to observe patients instead of their charts, helping police officers separate facts from opinions when investigating a crime, and training professionals from the FBI, the State Department, Fortune 500 companies, and the military to  recognize the most pertinent and useful information. Her lessons highlight far more than the physical objects you may be missing; they teach you how to recognize the talents, opportunities, and dangers that surround you every day.

Whether you want to be more effective on the job, more empathetic towards your loved ones, or more alert to the trove of possibilities and threats all around us, this book will show you how to see what matters most to you more clearly than ever before.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 31 Aug 2015 07:15:50 -0400)

"Art historian Amy Herman has trained experts from many fields how to perceive and communicate better. By showing people how to look closely at images, she helps them hone their 'visual intelligence', a set of skills we all possess but few of us know how to use properly. Whether you want to be more effective on the job, more empathetic toward your loved ones, or more alert to the trove of possibilities and threats all around us, this book will show you how to see what matters most to you more clearly than ever before." --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,244,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible