The Highwayman by Kerrigan Byrne

The Highwayman

by Kerrigan Byrne

Other authors: Tantor Audio (Publisher)

Series: The Victorian Rebels (1)

READ AND REVIEW: THE HIGHWAYMAN BY: KERRIGAN BYRNE

PRE-ORDER NOW!

THE HIGHWAYMAN BY KERRIGAN BYRNE

Release Date:  September 1, 2015

SYNOPSIS

They're rebels, scoundrels, and blackguards-dark, dashing men on the wrong side of the law. But for the women who love them, a hint of danger only makes the heart beat faster, in the stunning debut historical romance The Highwayman by Kerrigan Byrne.

STEALING BEAUTY
Dorian Blackwell, the Blackheart of Ben More, is a ruthless villain. Scarred and hard-hearted, Dorian is one of Victorian London's wealthiest, most influential men who will stop at nothing to wreak vengeance on those who've wronged him...and will fight to the death to seize what he wants. The lovely, still innocent widow Farah Leigh Mackenzie is no exception-and soon Dorian whisks the beautiful lass away to his sanctuary in the wild Highlands...

COURTING DESIRE
But Farah is no one's puppet. She possesses a powerful secret-one that threatens her very life. When being held captive by Dorian proves to be the only way to keep Farah safe from those who would see her dead, Dorian makes Farah a scandalous proposition: marry him for protection in exchange for using her secret to help him exact revenge on his enemies. But what the Blackheart of Ben More never could have imagined is that Farah has terms of her own, igniting a tempestuous desire that consumes them both. Could it be that the woman he captured is the only one who can touch the black heart he'd long thought dead?

BUY LINKS

Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Highwayman-Kerrigan-Byrne-ebook/dp/B00TDRJ8CC/

Barnes and Noble:  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-highwayman-kerrigan-byrne/1120871305?ean=9781466887404

Google Play Books: https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Kerrigan_Byrne
_The_Highwayman?id=1W2WBgAAQBAJ&hl=en

Ibooks:  https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-highwayman/id965791610?mt=11

Kobo:  https://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/the-highwayman-31

REVIEW:  THE HIGHWAYMAN BY KERRIGAN BYRNE

The Highwayman by Kerrigan ByrneMy rating: 4 of 5 starsI was drawn in to this dark tale of revenge, redemption and love. The Highwayman is a twisted story of greed, kidnapping, mistaken identities and the power of friendship and the strength of love. Kerrigan Byrne has crafted a saga that is full of surprises, captivating coincidences all centered around an emotional relationship between two childhood friends. Farrah was the key to solving the mystery within this story. At times the story got a little confusing but sticking it out proved to be a wonderful reward . The Highwayman is a story that has to be read to be believed. I received an ARC of this story in exchange for an honest review.View all my reviews ( )
  Lashea677 | Feb 16, 2019 |

From the moment Farah wipes the blood from Dougan's hands they are bound to one another, two outcasts in an orphanage. On a fateful night, Dougan violently protects Farah and they are separated, cast out into their fates. It is not until seventeen years later that Farah learns what befell her childhood friend. Dorian Blackwell, the Blackheart of Ben More, villainous fiend and king of the underworld kidnaps Farah and claims he is there to protect Dougan's "Fairy". Leaving most unsaid but what is heartbreakingly clear in the painful spaces between words, Dorian recounts his experience in jail with Dougan to Farah, how they banded together to try and survive and how Dougan would tell stories about Farah to the other boys. Dorian plans to make good on the deathbed promise he made to Dougan about eventually finding Farah and making sure she was safe. What Dougan didn't know was that Farah had her own painful past she was running from and Dorian feels he must restore Farah to her rightful place in society. There are lies, half-truths, dangers, and love but most importantly, a feeling that destiny won't be denied.

This is the first book by Kerrigan Byrne I have read; it will definitely not be my last. The Highwayman took me by surprise with its sweeping emotional romantic story. Byrne's writing had a way about it that I felt like I was walking the streets of London with Farah and Dorian, everything is described but not overly in a way that bogs you down with details; she was a master of making you feel through showing, not telling. The overall details of the story with the characters and their actions leans toward a darker tone but there is lightness to the story that springs from our main character's relationship for balance. Dorian and Farah have a certain spark between them that is at turns playful, light, deep, emotional, burning, and heavy. Their contentment to be around one another colors their dialogue at times with a lightheartedness that makes their growing love believable and investing to read.

Farah's journey from the orphanage to her position at the Police Headquarters was taken with Dougan in mind with every step. Farah very easily could have been written as a saintly martyr but instead she is shown to be while inherently goodhearted, also a steel-spined survivor; she's believable. Dorian's background and dark attitude could have easily been written to make him a Beauty and the Beast caricature but instead he is given depth of emotion. He is single-minded in his pursuit of taking care of Farah but with a yearning, stubborn streak, and desperate desires of a man still locked in an abused boy's mindset of protection mode; he's believable. When together, the author doesn't come out and tell us they want each, instead it's felt by the reader in every glance Dorian gives Farah that isn't seen and every touch Farah reaches out to give that is never felt by Dorian. There's anger, desire, hurt, hunger, lies, and love all swirling between Farah and Dorian; together they're believable.

Dorian and Farah are clearly the center piece of the story, as they should be and the structure of the story supported that with the beginning setting up Dougan and Farrah's relationship, the middle introducing Farrah to Dorian and creating their relationship, and the second half delving into the mystery and intrigue while bonding our couple more. If I were to express any complaints, which trust me are minor, it would be that Dougan's childhood origins were a bit murky and that Farrah's endangerment from her father's lawyer Warrington could have been fleshed out more in regards to how I didn't really feel the danger from Warrington as he was too much to the peripheral of the story. Byrne's secondary characters did an amazing job of adding to the story and world she created for her characters. Dorian's house full of men who were all forged in the fire together from prison, again, could have come off as bears with hearts of gold caricatures but instead are given just enough individual thoughts and emotions to make them memorable with adding to the story instead of feeling tagged on after thoughts or show stealers. Even while putting me through the wringer with Farrah and Dorian, Byrne was still able to squeeze some heartbreak out of me for Dorian's man Walters and Farrah's friend Gemma (honestly, I dare anyone not to shed at least a few internal tears over their quiet moment in the kitchen at the end). This feeling of connection to minor characters was another reason why I felt Byrne knocked this one out of the park.

Byrne's writing style reminded me a little bit of Amanda Quick's historicals, the sentences and character's actions can come off at times light and loving but you will suddenly find yourself wrecked by the hidden emotional depth and the overall story somewhat reminded me of an updated 21st century "A Rose in Winter" by Kathleen Woodiwiss. There are a couple hotter, rougher moments in this but ultimately, the story is dominated by the searing emotion between our couple. If you are a historical romance fan, then this is a must read for you. The second in the series looks to be about Dorian's friend and assassin Christopher Argent and based on the glimpses we get of Argent in this book, I'm pre-ordering.
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
So good, read twice! Perfect if you like childhood sweethearts trope! ( )
  vonze | Sep 19, 2017 |
This is the first book in the new Kerrigan Byrne’s series Victorian Rebels, and my first read of this author.

I just loved the introduction to our heroine as she was a child in an orphanage as she’s pledging herself to another orphan and then they get separated.

Seventeen years later we meet our heroine again and she has become a strong and resilient woman.

As our hero kidnaps the heroine, we all find out, along with her, what happened to the little orphan she pledged herself to.

As much as this story was predictable, I still found it fascinating and heartbreaking. But then I’m such a sucker for a broken down hero!

If you’re looking for a new author, like I was, I think you should try this one because this story had a bit of everything a romance should, and it was very well written.

Melanie for b2b

Complimentary copy provided by the publisher ( )
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
Dorian Blackwell is a notorious and powerful underground criminal in England; and Farah Mackenzie is the widowed clerk working at Scotland Yard. They cross paths when Blackwell is brought in for interrogation at the Yard. The novel is fairly well researched, and instead of being a frothy romance that reads like a costume party, this echoes more of the pathos and darkness of a Gothic romance (e.g.'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Brontë.) That said, a fairly deep suspension of belief is required to really make this work. The writing was solid; but not particularly compelling. ( )
  Tanya-dogearedcopy | Feb 23, 2017 |

Kerrigan Byrneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Perkins, DerekReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, TantorPublishersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Darlene Ainge
You're the reason he survived.
Scottish Highlands, County Argyle, 1855
Blood ran down Dougan Mackenzie's forearms as he crouched against the ancient stone wall separating the grounds of Applecross Orphanage from the wild mountains beyond.

"They're rebels, scoundrels, and blackguards-dark, dashing men on the wrong side of the law. But for the women who love them, a hint of danger only makes the heart beat faster, in this debut historical romance"--

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,621,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible